Stuff that it's painful to watch now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pebblethefish View Post
    It worries me that 35 years on, I can still remember that it was page 182 of Citadel of Chaos that kept killing me (it was when you entered the room of the Gangees, who I could never beat).
    What are/were gangees.

And you actually rolled the dice?

Comment

According to StreetMap, there are no Festive Roads in the UK, but there are 11 Festival Roads. In festive places such as Millom, Ellsemere Port and Wath-Upon-Dearne...

Comment

A lot of stuff seems dated. Especially auf wiedesen pet

Comment

Butterflies - what in the world made us believe that that was any good back in 1979?

(And who the hell proofed that Tales of the Gold Monkey DVD cover upthread? 'Hi-jinx', my ass...)

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
            Butterflies - what in the world made us believe that that was any good back in 1979?
            I don't think anything by Carla Lane has aged well. Do they ever get repeated?

Although, when I was small, I used to like Lucien in The Liver Birds.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
              What extraordinary timing re Fighting Fantasy – I had no idea it was getting a reboot.
              Just browsing through some threads on a quiet work day and delighted to spot this one, also had no idea FF is making a comeback. I had Demons of the Deep and the Warlock of Firetop Mountain, found them in a box of assorted crap and sold them on not long ago. Mostly used the 'sneak peek' tactic but don't remember ever making to the end and winning in either book!

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
                I don't think anything by Carla Lane has aged well. Do they ever get repeated?

Although, when I was small, I used to like Lucien in The Liver Birds.
                I think Gold may have repeated Butterflies at some point. The Liver Birds had a certain charm in its earliest incarnation c 1971 - thanks in the main to Polly James.

Bread? No, ta.

Comment

They repeated all of Butterflies in the early '90s on what must've been the BBC, as I watched it all then while I was growing up. I remember being flummoxed by how Rodney from Only Fools and Horses could be just a kid in it. I seem to remember vaguely enjoying it, probably mostly because Geoffrey Palmer is always worth watching, but I can't say I actually recall any of it specifically.

I believe it's a legal requirement to invoke the word 'bittersweet' with any mention of the series, so consider it done, but I certainly don't think I was aware of the nuances when I was 13 or whatever so I suppose I just considered it generically amusing.

Comment

Butterflies was considered quite groundbreaking at the time, portraying a woman as desiring liberation from the constraints of housewifery - even more so, being incompetent in the kitchen - I mean, imagine...

Most of the actors were very good, it's true (if somewhat typecast in Wendy Craig's case), but the overall tone, script and values seem pretty painful now.

Comment

Keeping on a Carla tip, Bread is one of the worst things out of Liverpool since Stan Boardman. Fucking hell, Carla Lane was abominable.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                          Keeping on a Carla tip, Bread is one of the worst things out of Liverpool since Stan Boardman. Fucking hell, Carla Lane was abominable.
                          Not only was Bread bloody awful at the time, it quite literally created the blueprint that the completely execrable Mrs Brown's Boys has followed. Well, totally ripped off.

Comment

If I remember right but, it was slightly more subtle. Mrs Brown’s is pure 1973 down to the claustrophobic horrible indoor only sets. At least Bread left the gaff once in a while for a plot device. I fucking hated the mam.

Comment

Fucking hell, Carla Lane was abominable.
                              Once again, Half Man Half Biscuit have it nailed.

Come on into my world
                              Where everything is done without Carla Lane

Comment

Mrs Brown’s is pure 1973 down to the claustrophobic horrible indoor only sets.
                                I swear they're just 40-year-old scripts with a few "fuck"s crudely edited in with those plastic scissors you get in school when you're four and stuck in with cowgum.

Comment

I hate the then head of BBC Scotland’s comedy unit that decided to commission the walking abortion after poond signs appeared before his eyes watching 1500+ people lap up the pawky pish at the Glasgow Pavilion theatre. Otherwise the pawky O’Carroll bastard would still have been playing umpteen nights at the not the best venue going Gaiety theatre in Dublin and similar in Nordie Land/Scotland/N England. And a much more modest “tax efficient” scheme.

The same fucker who canned Limmy’s Show and never even tried to get it on BBC Three or Two UK wide, severe dose of the cringe.
                                  Last edited by Lang Spoon; 18-04-2018, 20:45.

Comment

Why is BBC Scotland pretty much the only one producing straight sitcoms now? There are two that keep recommending themselves on iPlayer, Two Doors Down and one with people made up to look old.

Comment

Still Game. The reunion shows of which at the Glasgow Hydro saw more than 200, 000 attend cumulatively (13000 a night). Beeb Scotchland pretty much ignore anyone under 45. The ex comedy head once expounded on a theory that Scots comedians just weren’t that funny. At an industry event at the GFT full of Scotch comedians. Fantastic. Doctor Who is shit, but it doesn’t stop BBC Wales commissioning it. On a small scale they did they same thing as with Limmy on games/skit show Consolevania. Just didn’t get it, so dropped it.

Better to have a suburban class cringe sitcom where yer one from the Fast Show puts on a central belt not too middle class accent.
                                      Last edited by Lang Spoon; 18-04-2018, 23:53.

Comment

Working...
                                      X