Stuff that it's painful to watch now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
    Other songs on the show were deemed decent when we last did the Splits on here:

https://www.onetouchfootball.com/sho...=banana+splits
    I was going to contribute the same point that I did last time: that the musical 'interludes' were very good psych / sunshine pop.

It was a bit 'whack' as far as kids' morning variety shows went, but my recollection is that most of them were this way. And I grew up staring at the Krofft Supershow and its ilk every Saturday morning in the '70s.

Comment

Yep, pretty much all kids' studio TV from 1968-72 seemed to have guys dressed as fat animals and backdrops featuring large, colourful cut-out trees.

Comment

Originally posted by Eggchaser View Post
        Wasn't there a Willard Price where they go a-whaling on an ersatz Pequod before being introduced to the marvels of modern factory ships? I'm sure someone gets eaten by a shark.
        Sails, the harmless old sailmaker, gets eaten in Whale Adventure, having offended evil Captain Grindle. One of the brothers gets keel hauled in that one as well, as VA pointed out. There is some flimsy attempt at an explanation as to why the ship is a such an anachronism.
        Last edited by Benjm; 03-04-2018, 15:50.

Comment

Originally posted by nmrfox View Post
          I remember in one of them a good guy being lured out for a swim by a baddie and getting his foot caught in a giant clam and drowning.
          That was the unfortunately named Dr Dick. The fiendish escaped criminal, Reverend Merlin Kaggs, tricks him into stepping on the clam. He's not a real clergyman.

Comment

Haha, which one was that in then? I swear I remember the clam thing, but it's the kind of scenario that probably got plopped into various stories involving underwater adventures.

I might plausibly just be thinking of this, in fact:

Comment

I was obsessed with the Banana Splits and Mr Ben as a kid. Both stayed with me, partly because neither seems to ever get repeated I was having pangs of nostalgia for the tv of my toddler years when I was maybe 7 or 8. A fucking neurasthenic case when I still had milk teeth. Should have Taken to Bed and received visitors instead of going to school.

Did catch Mr Ben a few times in Gaelic but. Great. You know only the Scottish schools are on summer holiday when it’s still all pensioner’s shite and Dotaman and dubbed Gaelic cartoons cos BBC Scotland always and forever have been a shower of shites. Doubt I want to YouTube either by now. You can never go home again.
              Last edited by Lang Spoon; 03-04-2018, 19:33.

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                Haha, which one was that in then? I swear I remember the clam thing, but it's the kind of scenario that probably got plopped into various stories involving underwater adventures.

I might plausibly just be thinking of this, in fact:

Oh Jesus, Fighting Fantasy. I don’t think I ever got through a go without cheating. Roll the dice or just read both pages.

Comment

That company ended up creating Tomb Raider. Funny old world.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                    Oh Jesus, Fighting Fantasy. I don’t think I ever got through a go without cheating. Roll the dice or just read both pages.
                    Roll the dice? Sod that. I just won every battle. Had an unfillable backpack as well. Carried everything.

Still never survived though.

Comment

Tee hee, yeah I confess that was my strategy entirely too! Invincible in battle, infinite backpack, infinite backtrack. I used to end up with about seven fingers stuck into different pages to hold my place at all these different branches of the path in case things went horribly wrong.

Mr Benn is one of those things I watched so much as a kid it's almost impossible to believe there were only 12 episodes ever made. I must have seen them each umpteen times, and never realised.

Comment

Diving Adventure, not to be confused with Underwater Adventure or South Sea Adventure of course...

I've just discovered that there is now a series of next generation spin off Adventure novels in which Hal and Roger's kids trot around saving animals from peril, thus avoiding the extraordinary rendition element of the parent series.

Comment

Mr Benn is one of those things I watched so much as a kid it's almost impossible to believe there were only 12 episodes ever made. I must have seen them each umpteen times, and never realised.
                          Stupid name for a programme. Bet you wouldn't have been so keen if he had been called Mr Variouss.

Comment

Indoor League and Wheeltappers & Shunters, teaching kids that pubs are a thing to aspire to. The Comedians, obviously, not just for the dinosoar ethics but also reducing comedy to gags.

Comment

Indoor League may have been many things, but 'aspirational' it was not.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                Stupid name for a programme. Bet you wouldn't have been so keen if he had been called Mr Variouss.
                                I took a while to get that Benjm. Thought you must have a peculiar aversion to surnames ending in double letters for a moment there.

Comment

It would appear Fighting Fantasy is back.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...gson-interview

“Typical, typical! Cheat!” Livingstone says with glee. “There’s a few hardcore people who say they’ve never cheated, but you’ll die off pretty quickly. You’ve got to start with a decent score. You’ll get provisions and stuff to make yourself stronger at any point but it’s obviously a lot harder if you get a bad dice roll to start with. But that’s life, isn’t it?”

Comment

My mum bought me The Warlock of Firetop Mountain when it first came out. She knew I'd like it; I was a D and D geek. I was king of the playground for a week or two. It had sold out so quickly and nobody else had got a copy yet.

I tried my son out with a copy of Citadel of Chaos I bought from Oxfam last year. He wasn't too fussed. Maybe I should try again with the reboots.

Comment

I seem to have lost a post, but to recap I replayed Temple of Terror a few weeks back and died horribly and also have the WoFM board game.

Comment

What extraordinary timing re Fighting Fantasy – I had no idea it was getting a reboot.

Particularly amused to read the opening paragraphs of that article, considering what I wrote just up the page:
                                        I used to end up with about seven fingers stuck into different pages to hold my place at all these different branches of the path in case things went horribly wrong.
                                        Originally posted by The Guardian
                                        Ian Livingstone calls it the “five-fingered bookmark”: that grip known to children of the 80s and 90s. You’d insert a finger into various sections of your Fighting Fantasy adventure game book in order to be able to return if, say, your choice to drink the “sparkling red liquid” and turn to section 98 turned out to be a bad one, or if attacking the Mirror Demon “from another dimensional plane” proved fatal.

“You used to see it on public transport everywhere,” says Livingstone, who with Steve Jackson dreamed up Fighting Fantasy back in the early 80s. “It’s like peeking around the corner. You can’t call it cheating – it’s taking a sneak peek.”

The title of the article annoys, though: "Dare YOU face the orcs? 80s game books Fighting Fantasy return". What the fuck did 'orcs' have to do with any of it? It comes across as one of those lazy, rather snobbish shorthands for anything 'fantasy' just thrown in there for no reason but to look down on the geeks and nerds.

Comment

There were orcs in Deathtrap Dungeon IIRC

Comment

Even as a five-year-old, I was pissed off by the "52 Festive Road" address. I had no problems with the number, but "Festive Road" got my goat. I remember complaining to my mother that it wasn't a proper name for a road.

(Even if somebody now posts "According to <this link>, thete are 923 Festive Roads in the United Kingdom, of which 127 are in Northamptonshire alone, I stand by what I said in 1972.)

Comment

Even as a five-year-old, I was pissed off by the "52 Festive Road" address. I had no problems with the number, but "Festive Road" got my goat. I remember complaining to my mother that it wasn't a proper name for a road.

(Even if somebody now posts "According to <this link>, there are 923 Festive Roads in the United Kingdom, of which 127 are in Northamptonshire alone, I stand by what I said in 1972.)

Comment

It was Festival Road, wasn't it?

Comment

It worries me that 35 years on, I can still remember that it was page 182 of Citadel of Chaos that kept killing me (it was when you entered the room of the Gangees, who I could never beat).

Comment

Nope. Just started watching an episode on YouTube.

I'd checked with Mrs Thistle. She's usually the authority.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X