Stuff that it's painful to watch now

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WOM View Post
    Bring 'Em Back Alive....yeah, that was the other one. I'll bet it was even worse, which would take some work.
    The basic premise of Bring 'Em Back Alive - collecting animals for zoos - would be quite off putting now, before you even get to the deficiencies in the execution.

I used to really like Willard Price books when I was a kid. Those, while reasonably conservation minded for their time, were about also kidnapping animals from their natural environment. When I tried to explain them to one of my nieces she looked at me like I was mad. I didn't even mention the one based in Polynesia which opens with the main characters digging up a nest of turtle eggs and scrambling them for breakfast.

Comment

I used to have the entire run of Monkey on VHS

Comment

If people think that monkey has aged badly, don't tell that to the chinese. It's kind of their national myth, and when I was there in 2000, shows like Monkey which were based on Wu Chengren's "The journey west" made up about a third of Chinese television programmes. (the other third seemed to be Soap operas that would make telenovellas think they were a bit gauche and melodramatic." The most dubious thing about Monkey is that it's made by Japanese TV, which is a bit like the BBC making shows about Irish folk stories in the 1950's

Comment

The Banana Splits

Got my sister and brother out of bed at 6:00am about 15 years ago to get them to watch it (obviously had forgotten about having a VCR) and was hideously embarrassed at how completely crap it was. I think I turned it off after about 5 minutes.

Comment

First The Beatles and now The Banana Splits? You're not having an 'on' day, are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
              But I think Bambi (Gascoigne) holds up, for example.
              Bambi, Oil and Bomb. The rest, not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyDracula View Post
                Eddie Murphy’s Raw. I watched it a few years ago expecting to laugh like I did in the 80s and sat open-mouthed at how offensive and just not funny it is now.
                Even at the time, "Raw" had jumped the shark; "Delirious" was the genius film. I expect that, even with the offensive homophobia, I will still howl with laughter at the rest of it.

Comment

"I got an ice-cream, I got an ice-cream, and your dad is on the welfare."

Comment

I'm from the wrong culture to contribute to this thread (different age.) However I used to watch stuff with the Kid, when he was one. A couple of our TV favourites were Bruce Campbell's The Adventures of Brisco County Jr., And George Lucas's The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles. I wonder how they'd stand up now?

Comment

Jesus, Young Indy. I’d love to see the one where he gets caught up in the Easter Rising. I wouldn’t say it’ll be bang on accurate. Or any good anymore. I’d say Quantum Leap is just awful watched again.

Comment

At the time I thought it was a great way to introduce nine-year-olds to modern history — for certain he wasn't going to get anything about the Easter Rising at school. It seemed pretty straight on at the time, but I'm sure it could be faulted somehow.

Comment

I have Brisco County Jr on DVD. Love it. When I re-watched it a few years ago it stood up pretty well - it was doing that post-modern referencing thing.

Comment

Yeah, it seemed way out in left field for US network TV at the time. Bruce Campbell is an interesting dude. His resumé is pretty wild.

Comment

Bubba Ho-Tep is well worth a go. His JFK delusional sidekick Ossie Davis in the old folks home plays it just beautifully. Campbell, of course, is Elvis.

Comment

I've a strong feeling that the Dukes of Hazzard might not be a great watch now.

Comment

Well, they sure got the "the South will rise again!" shit bang on.

Comment

But it all turned out wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
                                      "I got an ice-cream, I got an ice-cream, and your dad is on the welfare."
                                      I will fight anyone who says the riffs on "Bigfoot", "She got a moustache" and the payoff for "GI Joe is swimming in the water" isn't brilliant.

Wasn't there a Willard Price where they go a-whaling on an ersatz Pequod before being introduced to the marvels of modern factory ships? I'm sure someone gets eaten by a shark.

Comment

Originally posted by Arturo View Post
                                        I remember rewatching some episodes of The Young Ones in the mid 1990s with some friends. It was only just over a decade old, but a lot of it was painfully dated. There were some awkward silences in the room and a great deal of disappointment at a show we had loved on first viewing.

Some of it was very funny though and I suspect still is, but even now, I've no desire to see it through again.
                                        A lot of Rik Mayall's stuff was pretty good, but yes, it's of its time.

Originally posted by Third rate les bleus View Post
                                        I've a strong feeling that the Dukes of Hazzard might not be a great watch now.
                                        Better than I thought to be honest. Some of the content was more adult than I remember.

Comment

Originally posted by MrLeam View Post
                                          The Banana Splits

Got my sister and brother out of bed at 6:00am about 15 years ago to get them to watch it (obviously had forgotten about having a VCR) and was hideously embarrassed at how completely crap it was. I think I turned it off after about 5 minutes.
                                          The Banana Splits still seems extraordinary to me. I mean, while H R Pufnstuf was revealed as a series of thinly-veiled drug references during children's hour, this was out-and-out stoned hippies in stupid costumes from the off.

Comment

Originally posted by Eggchaser View Post
                                            Wasn't there a Willard Price where they go a-whaling on an ersatz Pequod before being introduced to the marvels of modern factory ships? I'm sure someone gets eaten by a shark.
                                            I don't recall the shark, but yes. My local public library had a load of the Willard Prices when I was growing up, and Whale Adventure was the only one I ever read. I think the jacket designs were similar to the venerable editions of the Swallows and Amazons series they had, which I loved, so maybe that's what caught my attention.
                                            The whaling certainly put me off trying any more of his, but it was certainly eye-opening and educational – even though hindsight says that the old-fashioned, whaling-by-hand and keelhauling miscreants style of things on the ship at the centre of the story must have been an anachronism half a century and more out of date when the book was even written.

Comment

The only thing I know about the Banana Splits is that the Theme tune is fucking amazing. Children's tv shows tried harder back then.

Comment

Other songs on the show were deemed decent when we last did the Splits on here:

https://www.onetouchfootball.com/sho...=banana+splits

Comment

Originally posted by Various Artist View Post
                                                  I don't recall the shark, but yes. My local public library had a load of the Willard Prices when I was growing up, and Whale Adventure was the only one I ever read. I think the jacket designs were similar to the venerable editions of the Swallows and Amazons series they had, which I loved, so maybe that's what caught my attention.
                                                  The whaling certainly put me off trying any more of his, but it was certainly eye-opening and educational – even though hindsight says that the old-fashioned, whaling-by-hand and keelhauling miscreants style of things on the ship at the centre of the story must have been an anachronism half a century and more out of date when the book was even written.
                                                  I read all those Willard Price books as well,bits I remember was that someone had made a bathysphere strong enough to go to the bottom of the Mariana trench and they let a teenage boy have first go at it, same teenage boy also fought and drowned a leopard at one stage,the bloke killed by the shark was an Australian criminal who escaped from prison to kill the Hunt boys and Jesus,I remember way to much about those books!

Comment

I remember in one of them a good guy being lured out for a swim by a baddie and getting his foot caught in a giant clam and drowning.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X