Stuff you don't get.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuff you don't get.

Like the thread in "Film...", not stuff that you hate but stuff that should tick all your boxes but you can't get into:

Foo Fighters
    Nick Cave
    The Clash (although I would probably enjoy a well-curated "Greatest hits" album of theirs now).
    The Pogues
    Buzzcocks
    Joy Division

Damn, son...

Comment

Patti Smith. MC5. Brooce. Radiohead apart from Kid A.

Comment

Another vote for Patti Smith,she's supposed to be punks high priestess but don't hear it myself

Comment

Radiohead, of course. And, as always, Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Comment

Spiritualized.

Comment

Radiohead for me, too, and Pulp.
              I've been listening to a lot of Sonic Youth today, waiting for all the replies mentioning them, but I love them.

Comment

Ah jesus yeah. Radiohead. A couple of tracks aside, whiny, dull, tuneless drivel.
                I'm also with WOM on Red Hot Chilli Peppers. One song endlessly repeated.

I seem to be in a minority of one that Suede were a bag of shite though. Yodelling bilge from end to end.

Bordie is bang wrong on Joy Division though.

Comment

So many for this. Primal Scream. Dinosaur Jr. Elvis Costello. Leonard Cohen. Arctic Monkeys. Captain Beefheart (what is that all about?)

The one that has always really puzzled me is the Stone Roses. Not that they're completely shit or anything, they have a few nice enough songs and all. But bloody hell do I not get the complete veneration they inspire in a certain kind of British middle-aged man, which seems to bear no relation to their pleasant enough but unremarkable output. The Jam are a bit like that as well, but at least have a few more good songs.

I'm surprised that people are saying the Red Hot Chili Peppers "should tick all their boxes". They shouldn't tick anyone's boxes really, wretched wretched band.

Comment

Leonard Cohen....really? And Elvis Costello? Jeebus.

But yeah on all the rest.

Captain Beefheart is an interesting one. It's sort of like that thing where you have to eat 25-30 olives before you enjoy their taste. And you think 'why the hell would I want to eat 25-30 of something I'm not enjoying the taste of? That's mad.'

If you put the time and effort into CB, it pays off. But, sure, why would you want to put the time and effort into something you're not enjoying listening to? What's the motivation?

So, yeah, like olives....I guess....

Comment

Fuck yeah on Costello the cahnt. And Cohen. His eighties stuff is just horrible production ironic anthemic guff. Like the vector for Arcade Fire.

Comment

I wish olive liking was that easy.

Comment

The thing is that I do like a fair bit of more experimental, "difficult" music, so I expected to get there with Captain Beefheart eventually even if it took a bit of patience. But the blues element is what completely kills it for me.

Comment

Sonic Youth now, definitely. Though once I was really into them. I don’t really get most of Trout Mask Replica, but at least it sounds like the “difficult” stuff I was expecting. A lot of Beefheart’s other stuff sounds like blooze/west coast late 60s psych I’m not into.
                            Last edited by Lang Spoon; 30-03-2018, 21:40.

Comment

Five years ago I'd have said Zappa. But that was five years ago. Dinosaur Jr. were (and are) great but i can see why people would disagree.

Anyway. A predictable one for the waiting crowd; Ed Sheeran. I love lo-fi, acoustic, singer-songwriter troubadours, but he firmly ain't one. A good one, anyway.

Comment

I think there a difference between people I'd expect to despise, like Sam Sheeran and Ed Smith, and people who - to all outward appearances - I should love.

Like, for example, Springsteen. I like all kinds of Bruce-adjacent music; I have no qualms about uncoolness; I even enjoy listening to Johnny Cougar, for example; and all kinds of other people with whom my tastes otherwise align tell me that he's great. . Yet, beyond a couple of hit singles, when I hear Brucey's stuff basically it all sounds the same.

Also, The Fall, who I know are polarising, but given where the rest of my tastes lie I'd expect to at least appreciate what they were doing. But I find myself trying repeatedly and failing to get the point.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                                  I love lo-fi, acoustic, singer-songwriter troubadours,
                                  Oh, shit mate. I'm sorry, I didn't know. And here I've been cruel about your shit shoes an all...

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                    Oh, shit mate. I'm sorry, I didn't know. And here I've been cruel about your shit shoes an all...
                                    Ray Lamontagne. Lucky Jim. Bert Jansch. That kind of thing (although I admit Bert Jansch is a stretch in this case.)

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                                      Ray Lamontagne. Lucky Jim. Bert Jansch. That kind of thing (although I admit Bert Jansch is a stretch in this case.)
                                      Aw, jeez. It's worse than I thought. Here, lemme put my wife on. She's into crap as well. You can work something out.

Get into Sturgill Simpson and see if that clears it up a bit. She also advocates Chris Stapleton, but I don't see it myself.

Comment

I'm giving you my sternest stare, my Canuck chum.

Comment

Oh, yeah, I forgot Ben and Jason. Except they stopped making music because people like WOM have cloth ears.

Comment

Prince

Comment

Behave.

Comment

Clapton, obviously. Johnny Thunders minus New York Dolls. Richard Hell. Pretty much every wasted junkie artist type Nick Kent endorsed prick. And the Libertines, obviously. Gram Parsons. And the daddy cunt of them all, Keith Richards (worthless after ‘72).

Comment

And as a corollary, Primal Scream minus the one good thing of Screamadelica. Magpie chancers. In thrall to a bullshit rock and roll myth.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X