Stuff You Just Don't Get.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Third rate les bleus View Post
    Well yes, they are to me and you, but they seem unfathomably popular with a vast number of people.
    Yes, but I took the OP to be about things which are generally considered to be high quality output rather than just stuff which is popular but obviously crap.

Comment

The thing to remember about all those old slapstick comedies is that you're supposed to watch them between the ages of 6 and 9. That's the level they're pitched at. If you watch one of them now, you're not going to get very much out of it.

Hobbes, I don't know if you're just pissed off that everyone has always been ramming fawlty towers down your throat every day since you were born, but it is genuinely brilliant. The main problem with it is that it is set in the rather specific milleu of post war decline, but there's only twelve episodes, and each is so tightly written and vivid, that it's not really a surprise that the Strain nearly broke Cleese.

But everyone telling you you have to love something doesn't help.

"The Guard " paddywhackery rubbish, let's all laugh at the Irish, every Irish character is either racist,corrupt or stupid and the title character is all three,can't see the praise for it

Have you ever been to galway? I quite liked it.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
        The thing to remember about all those old slapstick comedies is that you're supposed to watch them between the ages of 6 and 9. That's the level they're pitched at. If you watch one of them now, you're not going to get very much out of it.

Hobbes, I don't know if you're just pissed off that everyone has always been ramming fawlty towers down your throat every day since you were born, but it is genuinely brilliant. The main problem with it is that it is set in the rather specific milleu of post war decline, but there's only twelve episodes, and each is so tightly written and vivid, that it's not really a surprise that the Strain nearly broke Cleese.

But everyone telling you you have to love something doesn't help.

"The Guard " paddywhackery rubbish, let's all laugh at the Irish, every Irish character is either racist,corrupt or stupid and the title character is all three,can't see the praise for it

Have you ever been to galway? I quite liked it.
        So did nearly everyone I know,just wasn't for me

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
          I disagree. Still love Abbott & Costello, most Laurel & Hardy, Chaplin, Lloyd, and Keaton was stone genius. Even Mack Sennett's one reelers are fun (provided they're run at the right speed.) But The Stooges nah, just crude and nasty. I'm guessing there was a kind of street appeal for urban kids in the 40s & 50s, but I don't relate at all.

Comment

I really like laurel and Hardy too, and bought my Dad the DVD box set there a couple of years ago, and I'm with you on a lot of the others. But I know that most of it is down to me loving it as a child, and watching it with my dad. Someone watching it for the first time now isn't going to get a huge amount out of it

Comment

Some Star Wars fans are petitioning to get Meryl Streep cast as Princess Leia. http://comicbook.com/starwars/2018/0...ep-episode-IX/

Which makes me think I'm surprised Star Wars hasn't been added to the list.

I could never get Star Trek: The Next Generation. The best description I've ever heard for it was 'Meetings in Space'. Every time Trekker fans convinced me to give it another go it would seem to be an entire episode of talking and discussing the ethics of some random situation. Plus all the aliens looked like people in rubbery make up.

Comment

I kind of enjoyed Lucille Ball for her brashness, but I'll agree that nostalgia plays a big part in this. (As it will do with many of our 'likes'.)

Laurel and Hardy, however, will remain genius into perpetuity.

Comment

TV:
                  Friends
                  Only Fools and Horses (feel free to link to Stewart Lee's routine on Delboy falling through the bar)
                  MASH

Films:
                  Anything by Woody Allen
                  David Lynch
                  Fucking Ferris fucking Bueller's fucking Day Off

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                    Some Star Wars fans are petitioning to get Meryl Streep cast as Princess Leia. http://comicbook.com/starwars/2018/0...ep-episode-IX/

Which makes me think I'm surprised Star Wars hasn't been added to the list.
                    I get Star Wars in terms of the quality of the films. In other words, the first two are decent enough entertainment.

The fandom for them though I definitely don't get.

Comment

Fucking Ferris fucking Bueller's fucking Day Off
                      That is bang wrong.

Comment

Thank God it was you that disagreed, otherwise I might have begun to doubt my own opinions.

Comment

Green Wing

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
                            MASH
                            Not just me, then. The film's alright but the show suffered from Alan Alda being up his own arse.

Comment

The early seasons of M*A*S*H* are genius - the McLean Stevenson/Larry Linville/Wayne Rogers years. But when they all left, they made the mistake of replacing comic foils with straight men, and they're not the same thing. Also, it went on too long and became a Serious Show. And, of course, Alan Alda.

Comment

I actually don't like the film, and Robert Altman generally leaves me a bit cold, although I like The Player

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                  Thought of another one. Steven Moffat's Sherlock series. People extol them but it's just a series of 'look at us, we're so clever' set ups with the viewers being the victims of condescension.
                                  I enjoyed it until they wheeled Moriarty out, to the point that I hated the portrayal so much that it's put me off the actor for life.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                    Every soul sapping plotty mess from the Nolan brothers. From Memento down, boring as shit.
                                    This, this, this.

I thought I was the only person who didn't think the Nolans were the saviours of cinema.

Comment

Channel 4 has (to date) commissioned at least 2 series of The Mighty Boosh, and then put the twat on the Bake Off. He's about as funny as treading in shit wearing your only pair of sandals on holiday. Six miles from your hotel and any shops.

Comment

If ever an analogy suggests personal experience it's that one.

Comment

Not six miles but, er, yeah.

Comment

Originally posted by tracteurgarçon View Post
                                            This, this, this.

I thought I was the only person who didn't think the Nolans were the saviours of cinema.
                                            I think their films are very cold. It makes them easy to respect but quite difficult to like.

Comment

"I'm In The Mood For Dancing" was alright.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                                                Channel 4 has (to date) commissioned at least 2 series of The Mighty Boosh, and then put the twat on the Bake Off. He's about as funny as treading in shit wearing your only pair of sandals on holiday. Six miles from your hotel and any shops.
                                                Wasn't it BBC who commisioned The Mighty Boosh? Channel 4 screened 'Noel Fielding's Luxury Comedy' which was, to put it mildly, best forgotten.

Comment

Much of The Day Today, most of Brasseye and all of Blue Jam. Although I usually find Chris Morris cameo appearances quite funny.
                                                  Anything involving Stewart Lee, can't stand his style of comedy and his show.
                                                  Stranger Things, gave up after 3 episodes.
                                                  Horror movies.
                                                  League of Gentlemen (but I love Inside No.9).
                                                  Charlie Brooker

Other than that, I love:
                                                  Fawlty Towers
                                                  The Big Lebowski
                                                  Withnail and I
                                                  The Mighty Boosh

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                                    I think their films are very cold. It makes them easy to respect but quite difficult to like.
                                                    I completely agree about the coldness but I think that's what I like most about them. Their films are at their weakest when they try to inject sentiment into it (see the last 20 minutes of Interstellar, which almost ruin an otherwise excellent film.) I can see why this alienates some people though.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X