No announcement yet.

Stuff You Just Don't Get.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nah it was (and still is) way overquoted but Life of Brian is brilliantly conceived and brilliantly written. And unlike much of Python it still stands up today really really well. I may watch it this weekend with my daughter who loves it as our nod to the Easter story

Comment

I agree on a fair amount on this thread mind you. Withnail especially.

Tom Hanks. He's someone who seems universally fawned over but I just don't get (as an actor. He seems like a nice enough bloke)

Comment

Meryl Streep. What's that all about? Her best part was Florence Foster Jenkins, a woman who thinks she is an opera diva but cannot sing. Oh, the irony.

Comment

I really upset a friend when I went to see 'Wicked' and didn't like it. I've concluded I just don't do musicals. I've tried several and usually get distracted deconstructing the staging and set.

Films wise
          Daniel Craig's James Bond films
          Star Wars Rogue One - I thought this was a mess but people rave about it
          Pulp Fiction

TV
          I never got into The Fast Show and when I tried later it just didn't click
          Absolutely Fabulous
          Will and Grace - I gave up on that first time around; a housemate loved it
          I gave up on Breaking Bad

Comment

The Rocky Horror Show
            The Big Lebowski

Just about any comic book movie. They can't die. What is the point?

The League of Gentlemen - We once had an American friend over and she had heard about it, has quite good taste in British comedy and culture. Anyway, we put it on, she is "I don't get it", I'm "I get it, I just don't find it funny" and my wife is rolling around on the floor laughing at every moment of it. But then she is usually fairly slow to get into something, but clicked with Fight Club in the opening 30 seconds.

Any audience participation shows, especially that prank stuff on unwitting people. They always strike me as a power thing, "we're going to humiliate you... purely because we can".
            Last edited by Snake Plissken; 30-03-2018, 08:47.

Comment

Jacques Tati. It's just Mr Bean done badly in French.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                Were you worried about not meeting your wrongness quota or something?
                I would have gone with: "You're out of your element, Hobbesy!"

Comment

Sex and the City - although I'm sure I'm among many in that opinion.

Why did people get so excited about it? Relentlessly patronising guff dressed up as 'liberating'.

Comment

Every soul sapping plotty mess from the Nolan brothers. From Memento down, boring as shit.

Comment

As we have been talking about ace old films, here's old stuff I don't get:

Laurel & Hardy
                      Charlie Chaplin
                      Harold Lloyd
                      Marx Brothers.

The latter is the only one that I feel I should make the effort to watch a bit more of. I am sure that the rest was ground breaking in its time but has been superseded by later stuff.

Comment

In a similar vein, The Three Stooges.

Seconded South Park and Futurama.

Baffled that people don't rate Big Lebowski.

Comment

One hundred percent with hobbes on Fawlty Towers. That show is about as funny as cancer, no idea why it's held in such high esteem.

Comment

More stuff I agree with up this thread:

All the superhero-y comic book movies. It feels like a bunch of middle aged men regressing to stuff they read when they were 11 then spending a fortune making films out of it. Every now and then someone says "This is the best one" or "this is different" and I try to watch it and it's still tiresome and boring and thoroughly underwhelming and deeply silly, but not in a good way.

And then there's Streep and Hanks. It used to be that I disliked both equally. I never got the love for Streep, but she's basically getting worse and worse, making otherwise decent films almost unwatchable. Hanks, though, changed some time in the 2000s, around Catch Me If You Can or Charlie Wilson's War and his films became engaging, and he stopped being an irritant to me

Comment

Thought of another one. Steven Moffat's Sherlock series. People extol them but it's just a series of 'look at us, we're so clever' set ups with the viewers being the victims of condescension.

Comment

I generally enjoy comic book movies but had real issues with the Dark Knight movies (Bale as Batman). The third one in particular was a morality tale that proles should accept the rule of the 1% and know their place.

Comment

I think the three stooges are purely "got" in the USA. I don't think anyone else has any affinity with them. Same with the utterly tedious and unfunny I Love Lucy

Comment

"The Guard " paddywhackery rubbish, let's all laugh at the Irish, every Irish character is either racist,corrupt or stupid and the title character is all three,can't see the praise for it

Comment

Yes. Both the McDonaghs stuff. Don’t get the love for In Bruges at all.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                        Thought of another one. Steven Moffat's Sherlock series. People extol them but it's just a series of 'look at us, we're so clever' set ups with the viewers being the victims of condescension.
                                        If you take the first series, then they are a masterpiece of how to do a familiar character.

The final series is absolutely bloody awful, with no redeeming features. It is like it is a completely different show.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                          I think the three stooges are purely "got" in the USA. I don't think anyone else has any affinity with them. Same with the utterly tedious and unfunny I Love Lucy
                                          I enjoy watching stuff like Keystone Cops purely for the time-machine value. You get to see LA crisscrossed with trolleys, orange groves, actual horse and buggies, early cars, wooden buildings, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                            Absolutely Fabulous
                                            Oh hell yes, this.

And Harry Hill. And whatever that fucking awful Paddy McGuinness dating show is. And of course, reality TV.

Comment

We’re in to the realms of ‘Things that are self-evidently rubbish” with all those though, which is different from the original premise of the thread.

Comment

Well yes, they are to me and you, but they seem unfathomably popular with a vast number of people.

Comment

So is Big Brother. But then, so is getting plugs put into your earlobes, so....

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                                    Yeah. Three Stooges love is unfathomable to me. Poking someone in the eye just isn't funny at face value, and nothing else they did ever made it so. But loads of people here like them, without — it seems — being able to explain why, and I have asked.

Lucy I liked as a kid and there are some bits that still make me laugh, but that might be pure nostalgia. I think she was genuinely funny, but caught in a comedic world of schtick, where catch phrases and blackouts were de rigeur.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X