The shirts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The shirts

Overall not a bad year. Germany quite bad, but some people seem to think otherwise. Adidas in general with a horrible font.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport/...1.html#gallery

1. Peru home (to be expected, not even Umbro could mess it up, although they tried)
    2. Belgium away
    3. Uruguay home (best colour, shame about the neck)
    4. Mexico away (horizontal stripes good)
    5. Sweden away (horizontal narrow stripes good too)

Honourable mentions:
    France home and away, Brazil home, Nigeria home

Mexico away is indeed very good. I also quite like the South Korea away.

Both Croatia kits look very good at first sight, but this only holds up if they pull through the block pattern on the back too.

Comment

I actually like Germany, except for the font.

Dislike France for being too dark and too tight.

Adidas in general are strong, especially the change kits.

Comment

Both Mexico shirts are great. I'd happily wear Colombia away.

South Korea away, Japan home, Iceland away, France away, and the apparently much-loved Nigeria home are hideous.

Germany home is just dreadful, but I welcome the return to green, though Mexico's green shirt would have been even more a return to the traditional.

Comment

France seriously need to go back to their own royal blue and stop trying to look like Scotland or Ye Olde Yugoslavia.

Comment

How many group games will necessitate change shirts? In England's group, for example, England should be okay, as all their opponents play in red; but the three games between them will all require one to change. Edit: actually Tunisia's home shirt IS white (could sworn they played in red) so actually it'll be England v Tunisia and Belgium v Panama that will require a change. Could lead to every match in that group being red v white?
            Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 03-04-2018, 12:23. Reason: Tunisia seem to have swapped red for white

Comment

Just gone through the gallery in Kurt's original link there and despaired of the voting. England's are dull as ditchwater, and as for the Russian 'winner'...

Still:
              Peru – gorgeous, of course. Love the gold detail on the shoulders.

Germany home – just cracking.

Mexico away is lovely. I do like a nice bit of horizontal striping with the flag colours.

Iceland away – I didn't think much of the home shirt, with it's 'dissolving' red/white colours on the arms, yet the change strip (white, with the blue and red doing the dissolving) is somehow stunning.

Belgium – I'm slightly oscillating on whether the red one is brilliant or hideous. The yellow is a typical classy Belgian effort. Points lost though for having two completely different designs with completely different collars, etc., meaning they look like they don't belong in the slightest to the same year.

Croatia – ooh, I really like what they've done with the bigger checks, especially with their slightly 'serrated' margins, and the change version's colourscheme is very nice.

France home – nice original styling to combine the terrific shade of blue on the sleeves with the unfortunately too-dark shade on the torso.

Poland – I like the subtle diagonal division, particularly between the white and the thin greyish striped area on the home.

Japan away – likewise the subtle grey striping making up the large Adidas stripes over the shoulder is nice, like a much, much more refined version of their early '90s ones for Liverpool etc.

South Korea away is pretty fun.

Serbia away – I do like the vertical 'flag' stripe.

Nigeria home – holy freakin' mackerel. That is quite something. Objectively horrific, yet I think I love it.

Comment

In that Independent story, they mix up the photos of Russia home and away. Which wouldn't matter so much, but Russia home wins the poll*, and they end the piece by berating the readers for selecting a boring red kit- next to a picture of the Russia kit they actually liked. Clowns.

* itself the opportunity for a topical gag or two, which the independent, perhaps because of its ownership, doesn't take.

Comment

Working...
                X