Music about the death of a Family Member or Friend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Music about the death of a Family Member or Friend

My favourite artist Vini Reilly wrote many pieces about the passing of his mother. For example:

Plus 'The Missing Boy' on Ian Curtis and a whole album for Tony Wilson.
    Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 27-03-2018, 10:25.

Tonight's the Night, Neil Young

Comment

Tears In Heaven by racist cocaine afficianado Eric Clapton is about the death of his infant son.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
        Tears In Heaven by racist cocaine afficianado Eric Clapton is about the death of his infant son.
        Eric was more of a heroin man.

Comment

There's Elton John's Song For Guy.

Comment

In a sort of 'reversal' of the opening example, Happy Mondays wrote Cowboy Dave - from their Yes, Please! album - in memory of Dave Rowbotham, the former Durutti Column guitarist murdered at his home in late 1991.

Death Disco (1979) was supposedly written for his dying mother by PiL's John Lydon.

For a Friend (1988) by The Communards was written by Jimi Somerville, well, 'for a friend' - in this case, late gay activist Mark Ashton, an early victim of HIV.
            Last edited by Jah Womble; 27-03-2018, 11:49.

Comment

Billy Bragg's best ever song

Comment

Cut Here by The Cure is a tribute to Billy Mackenzie of the Associates.
                It's also a sort of apology\mea culpa from Smith about not spending the time with his friend when he should have.
                (It's not one of Bob's strongest tunes, if I'm honest.)
                Last edited by hobbes; 27-03-2018, 12:18.

Comment

'Friend of Ours' by Elbow is about the death of their fellow Mancunian musician Bryan Glancy. The title of the album it's from 'The Seldom Seen Kid' was a nickname of his and I think there are other oblique references to him through it.
                  Last edited by Ray de Galles; 27-03-2018, 23:58.

Comment

Vapor Trails was the first Rush album released after a period where Neil Peart lost his 19 year old daughter in a car accident, and his wife to cancer 10 months later.

Whilst none of the songs seem to be explicitly about their deaths, the entire record is shot through with references to loss, grieving and pain; most obviously on Secret Touch:

The way out
                    Is the way in
                    The way out
                    Is the way in…

Out of touch
                    With the weather and the wind direction
                    With the sunrise
                    And the phases of the moon
                    Out of touch
                    With life in the land of the loving
                    With the living night
                    And the darkness at high noon

You can never break the chain
                    There is never love without pain
                    A gentle hand, a secret touch on the heart

Out of sync
                    With the rhythm of my own reactions
                    With the things that last
                    And the things that come apart
                    Out of sync
                    With love in the land of the living
                    A gentle hand, a secret touch on the heart

A healing hand, a secret touch on the heart

There is never love without pain
                    Life is a power that remains
                    I never really reckoned much to it when it was first released, but it's developed over time into a record I return to time and again.

Comment

Sister - the final Top Ten hit for peroxide-bothering twins Bros - was about their younger sister Carolyn, who'd been killed by a drunk driver in early 1988.

Comment

Jane Siberry's 'The Vigil (The Sea)' from her When I Was A Boy album is a beautiful and devastating piece on the death of her father.

Although the song seems to be about romance, The Fall's 'Bill Is Dead' is titled for the death of MES' father.

Comment

Come Dancing by the Kinks is about the Sister who bought ray davies his first guitar, and who lived as full a life as the hole in her heart would allow.

Let me in From Monster is about kurt cobain and river phoenix.

Comment

Three immediately come to mind.

Needle of Death — Bert Jansch
                            Written for friend and fellow folkie Buck Polly.

Terry's Song — Bruce Springsteen
                            For his long-time friend and personal assistant 'Terry' McGovern.

The Needle and the Damage Done — Neil Young
                            Allegedly for Danny Whitten of Crazy Horse and Bruce Berry, Young's roadie.

Comment

Dagenham Dave - The Stanglers

Comment

The Killing of Georgie - Rod Stewart.

Possibly, his finest (although I love a lot of his Faces stuff).

* And I don't know (nor care much) if it's true or not.

** And of course, it could go on the "...whistling" thread.
                                Last edited by Gerontophile; 28-03-2018, 04:32.

Comment

Very possibly the best hip-hop track ever...

Comment

There are shit loads of hip hop ones of these, aren't there? There are about 30 just about Tupac.
                                    Plus of course, Puff Daddy and Faith Hill's "Missing You" about Biggie.

Comment

You'd think Puffy could at least have come up with an original tune for his dead buddy. (Well, actually you probably wouldn't...)

Elton John's Empty Garden was of course written for his late pal, John Lennon. He also re-wrote one of his old standards for another dead friend who was some kind of princess or other.

(I guess that if we get into the territory of 'famous' friends, however, it's going to become a little skewed.)

Comment

You could argue that the whole of the "John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band" LP is, on some level, about the loss of Lennon's mother and his substitution of Yoko for her, the tracks "Mother" and "My Mummy's Dead" which bookend the record just being the most explicit examples.

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                                          There are shit loads of hip hop ones of these, aren't there? There are about 30 just about Tupac.
                                          Yep, but they'll be completely fucking redundant when he makes his long-awaited return from Cuba...

Comment

But will that be the 'real' Tupac, or another hologram?

Comment

Jesus To A Child was about George Michael's partner Anselmo Feleppa

Comment

Solid Air was written about Nick Drake, I believe

Comment

Originally posted by wittoner View Post
                                                  You could argue that the whole of the "John Lennon/Plastic Ono Band" LP is, on some level, about the loss of Lennon's mother and his substitution of Yoko for her, the tracks "Mother" and "My Mummy's Dead" which bookend the record just being the most explicit examples.
                                                  Julia (Lennon) and Let It Be (McCartney) in the Beatles canon. Their bond was partly based on losing their mothers at a young age.

Here Today by McCartney about Lennon

Comment

Working...
                                                  X