Philip Kerr

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Philip Kerr

Has died far too early, at the age of 62. As I may have mentioned here before, I'm quite partial to his Bernie Gunther series, given the impeccable historical research and atmospheric plots.

That's terrible news. I've read all his Bernie Gunther novels, and his Scott Manson thrillers too. Too soon.

Comment

I think the Bernie Gunther novels did have diminishing returns but when they were good they were brilliantly evocative and extremely deft at negotiating the morality and amorality of the time.

Comment

I've just read the trilogy and agree that the first is incredibly good and the third is rather weak, with very improbable Soviet and American characters. The homophobia in the middle one, albeit authentic for the period, is not easy to stomach.

There are some similarities between Gunther and the Gereon Rath character created more recently by Volker Kutscher.

Very audacious of Kerr to have Heydrich as a character who is not a total monster. Some readers would disapprove.

Is anything he wrote after the trilogy worth checking out?

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
          I've just read the trilogy and agree that the first is incredibly good and the third is rather weak, with very improbable Soviet and American characters. The homophobia in the middle one, albeit authentic for the period, is not easy to stomach.

There are some similarities between Gunther and the Gereon Rath character created more recently by Volker Kutscher.

Very audacious of Kerr to have Heydrich as a character who is not a total monster. Some readers would disapprove.

Is anything he wrote after the trilogy worth checking out?
          He's writtten several post-war Gunther novels which are worth a read.

Comment

The Grushko novel, Dead Meat is good, too.

Comment

Just looked up the Manson ones- who'd a thunk I missed those?

Comment

Working...
              X