Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another part of heritage going.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...d-almanac.html

cant believe the £10,000 attributed cost can be correct though.

and for those who dont want to sully their reputation by clicking on the Heil link

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...d-almanac.html
    Last edited by ale; 24-03-2018, 18:11.

Er, that's the same link, ale.

Comment

Grauniad link

This week it was announced that the 48-year-old Sky Sports Football Yearbook would cease publication unless a new sugar daddy can be found. If the name means nothing that is probably because it is still known to most of us as Rothmans, a name that disappeared when tobacco advertising was banned in 2003.

Comment

Matthew Engel speaks for me, as usual.

I loved my old Roth. All the quirks, like players' previous clubs listed something like: "Walsall - 67 apps. Nuneaton Borough - 14 apps. NASL - blank."

Comment

To someone discovering the sport in the wilds of North America, its discovery was like unearthing sacred tablets, only with much more accuracy.

Comment

I used to buy the Hockey News Almanac. Is it like that?

Comment

Much more detailed and extensive, while less glossy.

Regularly 1000 pages.

Comment

Surely this is a prime candidate for crowd-funding?

Comment

There's a shelf of Rugby Rothman's in my local Oxfam. I thought they'd only done football.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                    Much more detailed and extensive, while less glossy.

Regularly 1000 pages.
                    The thing I’m thinking about was about that long and not glossy. Perhaps we’re talking about two different things.

Comment

If it disappears it'll be a sad, sad moment. Those type of publications (I s'pose Wisden is the grand-daddy) are not only important for what you wanted to find, but even more so, for the stuff you discover on the way (or on the way back.) The hours could fly by. I've got an old Benson & Hedges Compendium of racing colours (almost the size of Burke's Peerage, but in full colour!) that's utterly, wonderfully useless. Wouldn't trade it for the world.

Comment

Could they do an online version, or sell the brand to willing enthusiasts?

Comment

The European equivalent, the European Football Yearbook is following suit after 30 years of publication. UEFA took it under their wing 7 or 8 years ago but have withdrawn support now.

You can argue that these publications are outdated and all the info is available online, but online data is flaky as fook and one season's data tends to disappear once the next season has begun. If you wanna know who played for Walsall or Lech Poznan the season before last you'll be hard pressed to find it online.

Comment

Red Bull Football Yearbook is surely the only way.

Comment

More than likely.

I had them all before the Sky name-change. I'm short of a fair few of those.

Comment

Working...
                              X