No announcement yet.

To curse or not to curse: Weekend matchgoing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only the second game of the season for the Flibls and we're straight back in the groove with Horsham losing 0-1 at half time, at home to Ramsgate.

Comment

Early kick off for the second half too, so I had to pour the remaining half of my pint of very drinkable Caledonian Over The Bar into a plastic glass to take back outside...

Comment

Three. Again from a corner. Sort of...

Comment

Horsham equalise through George Landais then decide that'll do for today and allow Ramsgate to score two in a minute. 1-3, a hattrick for Aaron Millbank.

Comment

Finally get my first proper Bovril of the season!

Comment

Lovely goal not from a corner makes it four.

Comment

Alfie Paxman makes it 1-4. The cheeseburger was pretty good.

Comment

I went to Argentina v Italy at the City of Manchester Stadium last night. The bottom tier was pretty full but higher up there was lots of empty seats. Beforehand the big screens were showing a couple,of blokes asking kids in the crowd who they had come to say, with about 99% answering Messi. However he didn't get off the bench, presumably being saved for the game v Spain next week.

Argentina were the better side in the first half but were denied by a couple of good saves from Buffon. The second half saw the Italians improve but they were unable to turn possession into chances. As both teams made changes the Argentines regrouped and a couple of late goals won the game for them.

Today it was back to proper football in the Craven League, specifically the quarter final of the Division One Cup between Carleton and Broomhill. Carleton is a village just outside Skipton and the club play on a ground where there are good views of the surrounding countryside. Unlike the previous night there was lots of chances and no world class goalkeepers to stop them, Carleton winning 5-3 in the end to set up a semi final with Hellifield Sports.

Comment

Trains from football at the St Neots derby.

Great Paxton v Eaton Socon in the Cambridgeshire County League Div 3A.

Comment

Great club badge by the way.

Comment

Mursley United v Pitstone & Ivinghoe was a poor game played in gloomy conditions, illuminated by two tremendous goals. Both were scored by Mursley, who won 3-2 to record their fifth straight victory.

Attention during the match was given over to following events on Twitter at the match of Mursley’s near neighbours Winslow United, who had their goalkeeper sent off, missed a penalty and then had their replacement goalkeeper sent off on the way to a 3-2 defeat.

Comment

Orient 3 Woking 0

A first home win for Gawd knows how long eases any residual relegation worries for us, but leaves Woking further in the National League soup. It wasn’t nowhere near as one sided as the final score suggests, and a decent crowd turned up to take advantage of the fiver entry. I was upstairs on the directors balcony after partaking of a decent-enough pre-match meal - the first time I’ve been up there and not see us lose, so win-win all round for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate les bleus View Post
                            So it’ll be a draw then.
                            CUFC 1-1 CUFC

Just call me Nostradamus.

About the only unexpected thing to happen today was walking into the beer garden to meet WFD and hearing our tedious dirge of a national anthem being belted out in Scots accents - ah yes, it's the international break and we were being visited by Rangers (and, it turned out, Hearts) who'd come south to continue their hero-worship of Clint Hill (and Danny Grainger).

Comment

Brigg Town 0 Glasshoughton Welfare 4

Brigg's team: Paddy, Tom, Will, Myles, George, Jack, Charlie, Ben, Joe, Nathan, Jonny. C'mon, it's not a 19fucking50s prototype of a Scorcher strip. Glasshoughton: Matt, Robert, James, Gareth, Sam, Adam (built exactly like Biffa Bacon), Connor, Conor, Andrew, Thomas, Ryan. All white. Both teams. I haven't been to a game this white since 1972. All the spectators too, though this is outer Lincolnshire. Just fucking weird. But an enjoyable game nonetheless. Guests 2-0 up in ten minutes and looking like they're going to hammer in a hatful (to use 1950s Scorcher terminology). Brigg then put some effort in, encouraged by number 2 Tom Pearson's cry to "fookin' come on, lads", and hung in there with a few half-chances until a couple of late goals wrapped it up for Welfare. Ref Benn Cass, with total tattoos on both arms, officiated very well, just a few snorting flare-ups to deal with, and there were a few jocose verbal exchanges between the cynical pensioners and the teenage linesmen right in front of us, the latter doing the sideways shuffle to indicate he's recently been on an FA course and is very keen to progress, being especially finicky about free-kick and throw-in placements.

Fiver to get in, three quid for my Dad. Old programmes (for example, Leeds v Hajduk Split) and back issues of WSC on sale inside the ground. Extra credit to Glasshoughton right-back Robert Marsh for playing throughout with a smile. What a real pleasure to see someone who actually seems to enjoy playing football.

Comment

Wingate & Finchley 2 Tonbridge Angels 1

Enjoyable afternoon in a quirky little setting. The first thing that strikes you on arrival is the double-facing stand, with the football club on one side and Finchley RFC on the other. Also striking is the access road to another car park that runs in front of the stand on the football side, and indeed a car did come pootling along in front of us during the first half. The palm trees in one corner and the 'Wingate Ultras' banner (said ultras appearing to be two a-tonal teenagers with a drum) almost gave it a continental feel. The magnificently quirky PA announcer was a joy too (not least because he looked like Alfred the Butler from the Adam West Batman serial), helpfully announcing things like "I won't read the raffle numbers again because the prize has already been claimed", and "I have been informed that the attendance today is 131", in a tone that suggested he didn't quite trust his source.

Comment

Raynes Park Vale 7-1 Bagshot

One of those enclosed grounds, that's enclosed on two sides by very see-through mesh fencing, which meant I could've very easily watched all this unfold for free if I thought doing so wouldn't wrack me with guilt. Vale's pitch is a bit of a throwback in that in seems to slope in three different directions, and everything about the ground has clearly seen better days - though I was a big fan of the two-seater covered stand behind one goal.

Bagshot are clearly in some kind of mess; this result not only put them bottom of Combined Counties Division One, but also pushed their goals conceded over 100. They had a couple of decent players and fashioned some early chances, but as soon as Raynes Park took the lead there was only going to be one emphatic winner and had Vale's forward been able to stay onside then it could easily have been double figures. Instead he was almost always incredibly far offside, but still debated every call; prompting a frustrated linesman to respond to a couple of late appeals with 'You can ask anyone behind me too if you like' gesturing at the Main Stand.

Comment

RPV's Grand Drive was my nearest ground for a few years in the nineties and I had some lovely Saturday afternoons there but it has gone downhill in every way (and in three different directions) in the decades since. It's potentially the most decrepit ground in the entire Combined Counties league, though I'm finally getting to Chessington & Hook soon that I hear could challenge it.

Comment

Working...
                                    X