No announcement yet.

At Sixteen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was 16 in 1986, the year The The released Infected, an LP I listened to over and over again. Other than that, Talk Talk's Colour of Spring and Pet Shop Boys' first sping to mind, as well as Black Celebration by Depeche Mode, incidentaially the last record by them I bothered with.

Comment

I was a little slow on the uptake, so it was 17-18 when I started discovering music on my own (or via my brother who has been a consistent source of new music).

At sixteen REM were my favourite band, having started with Losing My Religion and then working rapidly through the back catalogue, with Life's Rich Pageant being the most played.

I was listening to Nirvana, Pearl Jam and Alice In Chains, though this was a brief phase, and only Nirvana were still being played when I got to uni in 94.

And I was still listening to my dad's collection a lot - Paul Simon, Leonard Cohen, Van Morrison, Bruce Springsteen, Randy Newman. Could have been a lot worse.

Comment

Listening to REM in reverse order with no previous knowledge would be a revelation. My guess is the lyrics gradually get more obscure and the mumbling of the lyrics gets more in the way, although the first album has that great debut charm, like the innocence of just saying what you want to say without any calculations of record sales. But it's light and fluff student radio indie-pop compared to same era Fall or Smiths and subsequently Pixies and Nirvana.

Comment

June 78 - June 79, the year I started full time work in the Tax Office so all my wages went on vinyl as I looked too young to get served in pubs .

Thanks to Wiki for the list below

The Cars 1st album/Candy O
          Some Girls - Stones
          Tonic For The Troops - Boomtown Rats
          Bloody Tourists - 10cc
          Kick Inside/Lionheart - Kate Bush
          Watch - Manfred Mann's Earthband
          Parallel Lines - Blondie
          52nd Street - Billy Joel
          Toto - Toto
          Outlandos - Police
          Give Em Enough Rope - Clash
          Blondes Have More Fun - Rod Stewart
          Live (Xcert) - Stranglers
          At The Budokan - Cheap Trick
          Breakfast In America - Supertramp
          Life For The Taking - Eddie Money
          Feel No Fret - AWB
          Replicas - Tubeway Army
          Lodger - Bowie

I also spent a fortune on singles

Comment

Originally posted by Belhaven View Post
            I was 16 in 1986, the year The The released Infected, an LP I listened to over and over again. Other than that, Talk Talk's Colour of Spring and Pet Shop Boys' first sping to mind, as well as Black Celebration by Depeche Mode, incidentaially the last record by them I bothered with.
            I was just on about Infected this morning to a car share colleague, it was a huge album for me and some friends when I was 14/15, and it still holds up. I'm going to see The The in September.

Comment

June 1973-74, my first full year of record buying. Largely Gentle Giant and Gong if I remember correctly. My full time NME reading didn't start until the end of this year, round about the time that I discovered The Sensational Alex Harvey Band...

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                I was just on about Infected this morning to a car share colleague, it was a huge album for me and some friends when I was 14/15, and it still holds up. I'm going to see The The in September.
                I had no idea Matt Johnson still did concerts. He never seemed to enjoy live performances and to my knowledge hasn't released a proper album this side of the millennium. I am curious what songs he'll play.

Comment

Originally posted by Belhaven View Post
                  I had no idea Matt Johnson still did concerts. He never seemed to enjoy live performances and to my knowledge hasn't released a proper album this side of the millennium. I am curious what songs he'll play.
                  It's something of a comeback tour, he hasn't played regularly for a long time. I heard him on a podcast talking about it and he seems quite upbeat about the prospect, and says he'll be playing songs from all the main albums. I think it was on the same podcast that he talked about the era where he had a regular touring band in the early 90s and in the swing of doing big tours but he had to abort a tour when his brother died and the band dissipated after that, and that was the end of The The as a touring band. I've not looked into who is playing with him on this tour.

Comment

94-95 for me. I stuck to chart music at that stage. I never jumped on the Britpop bandwagon but did enjoy a lot of singles from those bands. My favourite album of that time was CrazySexyCool by TLC.

Comment

Ah! Sixteen! Still at school in Nottingham. Listening to a lot of Motown and Stax. Prog was in the air so I listened to a lot of that (King Crimson etc.) The blues was hip, of course, but also, in the solitude of my room, I listened to Webb Pierce, George Jones, Kitty Wells. If I had admitted this at the time I would have been submitted to merciless ridicule.

Comment

The Cat! Great to see you.

Comment

AHC - all right! Hope all is well, missing you from the Land of Enchantment.

Me and Tramp The Dirt Down are around the same age - I'll second Cheap Trick, Tubeway Army, Boomtown Rats, The Clash, and will add Thin Lizzy (Black Rose) and The Knack.

Comment

ahc, what everyone else has said.

It's really great to "see" you and to have your typically wise contributions to the board.

Comment

Thanks everyone. (Weeps softly and reaches for cup of cocoa.).

Comment

Working...
                              X