No announcement yet.

The Peter Principle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wish I was good at something that leads to cash money and can survive automation. But my only soft skill is a mean ragu, no one will pay for that. Fuck it, I just wish for a pile of money and no more alarm clock terror.

Comment

But my only soft skill is a mean ragu, no one will pay for that.

I'm sure HJ Heinz had similar moments when he was trying to sell his horseradish sauce. Chin up. One of your next 56 varieties is bound to catch on.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
        That 'unpainted furniture' line really touched my funny bone.

Anyway, I lost a good writer today. Great guy, but couldn't hack the pace. Shit happens real fast at our place, and he came from the sane confines of a bank marketing group. It wasn't going to work, and he went back to his old gig right before we had to fire him.

Now to hire, train and go through the slow ramp-up all over again.
        What does it require? Maybe I should try that?

https://youtu.be/pEjmPYvj-Xk

Comment

Originally posted by Vicarious Thrillseeker View Post
          I thought the Peter Principle was that everyone gets promoted to their maximum level of incompetence. So, on that basis, fill your boots.
          This is what I thought it was too. For some unknown reason I read the book when I was about 11 or 12 years old.

Comment

I think it's more like your minimum level of incompetence. The theory goes that you do a good job and get promoted. Do another good job and get promoted. Etc. Eventually you get promoted to a position for which you're not suited and you get stuck there. Incompetent.

Comment

Does it matter if you're only minimally incompetent? You're still incompetent, and you've still risen to that level, so the principle applies. If you were promoted again after that, then you might be at your maximum level, but that doesn't mean you weren't incompetent in your previous position.

Comment

Wow, I just argued against my own point. That's what I get for being awake (and on antihistamines) at 2:22am. I truly am incompetent. Better than being incontinent, I suppose.

Comment

I'm in a position where I'm more than comfortable. It's a managerial role, but close enough to the 'tools', so to speak, to keep it real/keep my hand in. I've no desire to move up and last week there were mutterings from the board to me about a senior management role. You know, the sort subtle hint about future personal development and what that may bring. I casually mentioned that my plan is still to semi-retire at 55.

The thing about firing people is interesting. I'm not in a position to actually fire people, but I have input. Being involved in making a colleague redundant would be utterly heart-breaking and thankfully I've not (yet) been involved in that process.

Being involved in firing a colleague, because of their non-compliance with statutory and regulatory procedures and processes is easy.

Comment

Originally posted by Femme Folle View Post
                    Does it matter if you're only minimally incompetent? You're still incompetent, and you've still risen to that level, so the principle applies. If you were promoted again after that, then you might be at your maximum level, but that doesn't mean you weren't incompetent in your previous position.
                    I think it means you eventually get promoted to the position where you are clearly incompetent. Merely incompetent may not stop the upward career trajectory of the skilled office politician.

Comment

Being involved in firing a colleague, because of their non-compliance with statutory and regulatory procedures and processes is easy.

It's a lot easier to say "Get out", if the previous sentence was "You could have got us all fucking killed you stupid cunt." or "We could all go to jail over this you fucking spongebrained thistle arsed bastard."

Comment

Haha, pretty much along the lines of "Your non-compliance will get us sanctioned and shut-down you fucking spongebrained idiot."

Comment

That will do it.

Comment

I must confess I was a poster boy for the principle.

Comment

I thought Bryan Robson was the poster boy for it.

Comment

Originally posted by NickSTFU View Post
                                I had to sack a woman at my previous employer because - under me - she hadn't done a fucking lick of work for nearly 6 months. And by the account of the others in the dept, she'd done fuck all for about five years. Afterward, someone said "I know that must have been a difficult decision..." and I thought "Nah, the decision was actually dead easy. The doing was the hard bit."

Comment

I hate accounting. I love managing.

Comment

I resisted being promoted at work for years simply because a promotion would have meant having the manage people. I just want to do my job and be responsible for my own work and actions. That's why I'm such a great candidate for working from home, and why I hate open floor plan offices.

Comment

Working...
                                    X