A crest for London

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

I did wonder about that when i typed it. But my mind went blank for good synonyms I should have gone for hiding shouldn't I?

Comment

Though Thames Television finished up with this one - I don't know if this helps anyone in the Big Ben vs Tower Bridge fight? Or whether St Paul's trumps them both?

Comment

It's not about what is best it's about what is most recognisable and most symbolic. Ask 1000 foreigners to name a landmark in London and I guarantee over 50% will say Big Ben. Just like for the same question re: Paris the vast majority will say the Eiffel Tower even if we'd like them to say Notre Dame or Sacre Coeur

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
            The most famous landmark in London is Big Ben (It may not be the best landmark, but it's the most recognisable one and the one that everyone from other countries would immediately think of). So some stylised form of that.
            We can't have a bell as the city's crest!

Comment

Pedant.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                This is my cross to bear alone, but I hate crests/badges with prominent ships or waves for places which are not by the sea*. I don't care if you have a big river or ship canal or whatever, that just always looks wrong to me. Don't get me started on the bloody seahorses on Newcastle's badge.

Anyway, I'd go for a new crest based around the profile of the Thames, with all the bends and turns. Not sure if this has been done already.
                As I have mentioned before on here, the original Olympic bid logo used it very nicely :

Though it's bit reminiscent of this ;

Comment

Pedant.
                  I'll remember that next time I visit Roundhay Park in Sheffield.

Comment

How do you kick someone with a truncheon? In the bollocks, before they hit you with it.
                    Last edited by Rogin the Armchair fan; 21-03-2018, 15:20.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                      We can't have a bell as the city's crest!
                      I've re-read this thread and I don't know why you said this, because no-one has suggested Boris Johnson.

Comment

Go Gogmagog or go home.

Comment

It's not about what is best it's about what is most recognisable and most symbolic. Ask 1000 foreigners to name a landmark in London and I guarantee over 50% will say Big Ben. Just like for the same question re: Paris the vast majority will say the Eiffel Tower even if we'd like them to say Notre Dame or Sacre Coeur
                          What if they said the London Eye?

Comment

It might be just me, but I thought the juxtaposition of these two comments was fantastic:
                            Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                            So I think I'm currently in favour of Paddington brandishing St Paul's sword. Maybe poking out through the roundel, MGM-lion style.
                            Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                            This is my cross to bear alone
                            – as I'm now picturing Paddington superimposed on the St George Cross to represent London. Could do worse.

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                            Graphically Tower Bridge works better than Big Ben, because the silhouette is unique.
                            Tower Bridge was my first thought too, for exactly this reason. And I reckon the number of foreigners who recognise it can't be that far behind those who'd recognise Big Ben (OK, OK, the Houses of Parliament's Elizabeth Tower), since it's a go-to landmark for any Hollywood movie scene-setting in London, with a quick swoop down the river. Of course, most of those watching are probably thinking, "Ah yes, there's the famous London Bridge", but still.

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                            As I have mentioned before on here, the original Olympic bid logo used it very nicely :

Though it's bit reminiscent of this ;

Oh my crikey, I don't think I'd ever twigged before that the 'ribbon' forms the shape of the Thames (...backwards?) before. But every time I see that logo I still weep a little internally that it wasn't used for the actual Games, instead of the shocking pink monstrosity with some unspeakable act happening to Lisa Simpson.

Comment

Even without playing that I now have an earworm.

Comment

In your mind, what comes after it? For me it's Button Moon.

Comment

No-one loves St Paul's more bigly than Ms D, I can see it from where I'm sitting now.

However, it's not unmistakeable, St Peter's in Rome and Sacre Ceeeeuuurugggggh look fairly similar IMO. Although obv. not nearly as good.

Comment

In your mind, what comes after it? For me it's Button Moon.
                                    Has to be the Big Match!

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                                      Has to be the Big Match!
                                      Minder or Danger Mouse for me. The Big Match was LWT?

Comment

What is the building on the left?

The BT Tower was an instant landmark wasn't it? It must have been pretty new when it got included on the ident.

Comment

http://625.uk.com/tv_logos/thames.htm

The landmarks used in the logo are all well known, except perhaps for one. What is the building on the far left? At first sight is appears to be County Hall, former home of the GLC and now a hotel, fish tank (The London Aquarium) and ticket hall/cafeteria for the London Eye. But Duncan Lynskey has been in touch to say that he recognises the building as the former home of the City of London School, which he used to attend. Duncan was puzzled as to why the building appears without its small spire on top.

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post

The BT Tower was an instant landmark wasn't it? It must have been pretty new when it got included on the ident.
                                            At the time it was still an Official Secret - Kate Hoey did not let the world know of its existence until 1993

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post

It had been completed for three years. Thames/LWT replaced Associated-Redifussion in 1968.

Comment

Post Office Tower, surely?

Also, I agree with everyone uphtread on the London 2012 Bid Logo. It was as magnificent as the London 2012 Olympic logo was terrible.

Comment

Yes, it's brilliant, clean and distinctive.

Comment

London written in Roman graven letters would be good - show its Roman roots

Comment

Working...
                                                    X