So, farewell then Katie Boyle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, farewell then Katie Boyle

"Le Royaume Uni, nul points" - that was never your catchprase.

(In the days when you presented it we used to either win or at least finish in the top three.)

'Boyle over'. (Probably not a headline anywhere.)

RIP.

Comment

What I knew about her: OXO.

What I only learned now: She was born Caterina Irene Elena Maria Imperiali dei Principi di Francavilla.

Comment

I associate her with the agony aunt column in TV Times in the 1970s. I think she defected to ITV after presenting 1974 Eurovision and was finished as a major presenter from that point on, being replaced on Eurovision by newsreaders (Angela Rippon 1977, Jan Leeming 1982)

A Song For Europe had an odd history. Katie presented in 1961 but look at who did it in 1967-70, ffs:

Bill Maynard was a contestant in 1957
        Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 21-03-2018, 10:59.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
          I think she defected to ITV after presenting 1974 Eurovision and was finished as a major presenter from that point on, being replaced on Eurovision by newsreaders (Angela Rippon 1977, Jan Leeming 1982)
          Have to admit she was in the 'assumed already dead' category for me. The above point was a good one, by the early 80s when I was aware of her, she seemed to be inexplicably famous - her fame exceeded her actual TV work at the time. We didn't get the TV Times (nor the Radio Times - except at Christmas of course, when we got both) so I wouldn't have known her for that at the time.

Comment

There was an element of sexism in the fact that a talented woman like her was consigned to panel shows and agony aunt columns after the age of 48 (her last Eurovision) whereas an equivalent man would have had some kind of presenting job for life.

OTOH 1974 was the end of Eurovision in the non-ironic, non-camp sense of a contest that the BBC took seriously as a song competition rather than a nod and a wink, so she could not have continued in the old role. She's a "pre-irony" celeb, unlike Wogan, who ultimately took over.

Comment

I had a classmate called Katie, who was very clever, very pretty and very popular, among pupils and staff alike.

One day, she had the misfortune to have a massive zit on her nose. When the class loudmouth saw it, he shouted, "Fucking hell! Katie Boil!"

That was the only time I saw a female teacher administer a clout around the head. (The male teachers were, to a man, so punchy that I suspected corporal punishment was the only reason they entered the profession.)

Comment

Kids called Jimmy and Frankie would also be prone to that pun at different times.

Jimmy's wife is called Kate.

Comment

I imagine your Susans also get a dose of it these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                    I imagine your Susans also get a dose of it these days.
                    Or the "Roberts" in your day?

Comment

Cheek. There should be a law against such comments.

Comment

Working...
                      X