It's finally here! The Return of the China Cup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
    We all assume they’ll beat the Czech Republic, but they haven’t actually played each other yet.
    Good point.

Uruguay or the Czechs will be a tougher test

Comment

It's "Czechia" now, isn't it?

Comment

I think so. I often mishear that as Chechnya

Comment

Uruguay won 2-0. The thought of Suarez and Cavani running at a shot-to-pieces Ashley Williams has me shitting bricks, frankly.

Comment

Yes. Giggs needs to give Chris Mepham his full debut.

Comment

Yeah, I’ve been wondering if he might slot him in as a third centre half in Coleman’s usually preferred formation Though if Giggs does go with five at the back, Ben Davies might go more central again with Declan John at left wing back (though he played all of yesterday’s game).

A lot will depend on how much Giggs wants to spread around the playing time, I suppose.

Comment

Unchanged side for Wales :

1 Hennessey
                5 Chester
                6 Williams
                4 Davies
                2 Gunter
                8 King
                7 Allen
                14 John
                11 Bale
                16 Wilson
                9 Vokes

Substitutes

3 Matthews
                10 Bradshaw
                12 Maxwell
                13 Bodin
                15 Evans
                17 Watkins
                18 Mepham
                19 Roberts
                20 Hedges
                21 Crowe
                22 Woodburn
                23 Lockyer

Kicks off at 12:35pm and broadcast on s4c.

Comment

yay I have s4c. Come on wales smite the mighty Wrwgwai. I don't think I've ever watched a match in Welsh before. I'm looking forward to this.

Comment

There appears to be an English language commentary option on the online coverage (I know there usually is on s4c via the Sky platform) but that might spoil it for you.

Comment

No I want the full P-Celt commentary. I don't really have any idea of what welsh actually sounds like, which is fucking weird given that I grew up speaking Irish. the only time I've ever heard it spoken was when a team from Pender came over to play a bunch of football games against players of my age back in about 91. To this day I attribute their 8-0 win in the first game against our local youth minileague to their sneaky use of a language we couldn't understand. (and me berating my teammates for their embarrassing and incompetent efforts to try and use Irish in response) Well that and their keeper coming out and scoring a second half hattrick.

The second match between Cahir Park and pender was a more creditable draw. I wasn't able to go on the return trip unfortunately.

Comment

s4c have us as playing 5-4-1, it looked to me that we played four at the back on Thursday though it's entirely possible we'll switch for a stronger opponent.

Comment

A Uruguay goal is coming here, surely.

Comment

well it came.

I must say that John hartson comes across completely differently when speaking welsh. I have no idea what he's saying, but he seems a lot more relaxed and fluent and he's found an extra 30 iq points from somewhere. his sentences seem longer, with clauses, and his body language isn't that of an idiot wondering what he's going to say next. I've seen this phenomenon on tg4 or Radio na gaeltachta. There seems to be a sense where native speakers of small languages are far more relaxed in their native language, even if they also speak the other language as a native. I think it's down to on some level assuming that you're talking to your friends and neighbours.

Comment

You know you're getting old when the sons of international players you've seen play are being capped
                              Last edited by Kowalski; 26-03-2018, 13:04.

Comment

Who is the other pundit with Hartson?

Does Hartson make more sense in Welsh? And why are all the names of players in english?

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                  And why are all the names of players in english?
                                  Centuries of subjugation and oppression will do that.

Comment

heh, it's just really jarring when the presenter is chatting away and in the middle of the whole thing he will say John Hartson, like it was a branded Loanword like Facbook. while talking to the man in question in welsh. Is there not a welsh language version of his name? In Ireland it's frequently the other way around where the only irish words an irish person may know is their name in Irish.

Comment

Welsh patronymic naming

Comment

And why are all the names of players in english?
                                        You wanted them in Chinese characters?

Comment

Who is the other pundit with Hartson?

Does Hartson make more sense in Welsh? And why are all the names of players in english?
                                          Owain Tudur Jones, once of Bangor City, Swansea City, Norwich City and Hibs.

Comment

No I'm nore interested why they say John Hartson, and not Ieuan ab (whatever the welsh word is for deer) when speaking in welsh.

On Irish language TV it would be Charles De Gaulle for a french person, Winston Churchill for an english person, but Micheal O'Coillean for an irish person like Michael Collins. This isn't meant as a criticism. I found myself spellbound by watching an entire football match being commentated on in Welsh, with punditry supplied by Welsh speaking pundits, and I couldn't help thinking how many million miles away from being able to do that in Ireland, and consider the welsh language revival to be one of the most impressive cultural achievements of the 20th century. It's just something that that sounded a bit weird on the ear, given that virtually every single other word was in welsh.
                                            Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 26-03-2018, 16:02.

Comment

Originally posted by Kowalski View Post
                                              Owain Tudur Jones, once of Bangor City, Swansea City, Norwich City and Hibs.
                                              Is the Jones in that name, every bit as 'welsh language' as the Tudur or the Owain? And is hartson a better pundit in welsh?

Comment

I can't understand everything they say but in general I prefer OTJ, probably because I can say hello to him.

On the other hand I like Hartson because my friend once give him a Bangor hat after a match and he wore it on TV.

Last edited by Kowalski; 26-03-2018, 16:39.

Comment

I’m guessing it might be the convention there to go with the name as given. Also avoids any mad translations of non “Welsh” origin names into p-Celtic. Fuck knows how Calzaghe would turn out if you tried to Welshify it.

Comment

You wouldn't.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X