We do like to go and see the C side - midweek matchgoing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We do like to go and see the C side - midweek matchgoing

Wales C v England C in Barry tomorrow night. Barry probably won't live up to the Barrybados nickname. More like Brrrry tomorrow probably.

I've seen Wales and Wales B before. C is a whole new level. Mrs Thistle asked if there was a Wales Z, comprised of literally the worst footballers in the country.

I might watch that if there was.

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
    Wales C v England C in Barry tomorrow night. Barry probably won't live up to the Barrybados nickname. More like Brrrry tomorrow probably.

I've seen Wales and Wales B before. C is a whole new level. Mrs Thistle asked if there was a Wales Z, comprised of literally the worst footballers in the country.

I might watch that if there was.
    You'd be watching a few OTFers if there was a Z team.

Comment

I've seen "Wales C" before but they were the "Wales Semi-Pro Side" back then.

There was a snowy Bangor evening in 1994 then there was a sunny seaside Saturday in 2008 by the seaside, Rhyl to be exact.

Halifax Town were just about to go bust but had players in the England squad so some of their fans decided to celebrate these facts with inflatable sheep and loud hectoring.

Wales lost, but I had seen Les Davies play for Wales. Wales also played Gibraltar in the Four Nations tournament.

Cenk Tosun once scored against Wales C as well.

Comment

FSV Frankfurt 1 Offenbach Kickers 3

Just over 5,000 for the fourth-division derby on an absolutely fucking freezing Monday night. Almost everyone on the terraces spent the entire evening hopping from foot to foot or jumping up and down because our toes were numb - I had on thick socks and thick walking boots, but it made no difference, so fuck knows how the teenagers in trainers survived it. Fortunately, it was a lively game, especially the first half. FSV's equalising goal was a classic example of how to exploit a quickly taken free-kick - it warmed my little coach's heart. For a while after that they utterly dominated and played the best football I've seen from them since they briefly flirted with the promotion spots in division 2 three years ago (now they're fighting relegation to the fifth tier). But Offenbach always looked like scoring when they came forward and the result was about right.

Afterwards, the police erected a temporary fence to stop locals going home - my bike was locked up five yards on the other side of it. So myself and about a hundred distinctly non-hooligan Bornheim dwellers (old geezers, dads with kids, a few hipsters) got to stand and wait an extra half an hour in temperatures of minus 6 degrees in front of mono-faced, fully tooled-up cops while the Offenbach fans escaped the clutches of the rapacious horde. After a long moan about how cold it was and how extreme the security measures were (ignored by the cops utterly, but I know they were all thinking, "Shut up, you twat, do you think we want to be here?") I was contemplating asking them, "Sooooo, is this what you signed up for, Mr and Ms Crime-Annihilator?" But I was too chicken.

Comment

Had planned to go to Bienwald Kandel v. Wormatia Worms in the Südwestpokal semi-final tomorrow evening. But that has just been called off due to a frozen pitch, with little likelihood of it thawing out sufficiently to be playable by tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
            You'd be watching a few OTFers if there was a Z team.
            And here they are in training.

http://the18.com/soccer-videos/worst...ull-watch-week

Comment

Any whispers of a return game for that non-league international?

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                Any whispers of a return game for that non-league international?
                They are hoping to resurrect the fixture so I wouldn't be surprised

Comment

Whenever that Südwestpokal semi-final is rescheduled for, I'll be rooting for Wormatia Worms

Comment

I hadn't realised that both FSV and Offenbach had gone bust recently, thus their being in the Regionaliga

Schade.

Kickers Offenbach are still in the top 30 of the all time Bundesliga table.

Comment

Originally posted by andrew7610 View Post
                      Whenever that Südwestpokal semi-final is rescheduled for, I'll be rooting for Wormatia Worms
                      I want to see a picture of their mascot

Comment

Wales v England is live on....

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/sgorio

&

You Tube https://www.youtube.com/user/sgoriocymru/featured

Comment

There's no programme tonight. You have to download it apparently.

I'm disappointed with this.

Comment

I'm watching on S4C Facebook, in my hotel room in Kigali. Livin the dream.

Comment

Bootle v Maine Road

No programmes here either, some sort of fuck up with the printers. Hope there’s no groundhoppers turn up or there’ll be a riot.

Comment

0-1 to England HT. Should have been 0-2 but somehow the striker hit the bar and the guy following up headed over from 4 yards out.

Comedy moment when the announcer stumbled over the number 11's name and then said "I can't pronounce that name." over the tannoy. Of course he was then the goalscorer. The Barry Bois are here in force and sang "We can't pronounce your name" at him. Good atmosphere. There's a pile of snow by the side of the pitch. I'm warm in my snood.

Comment

Full time, Wales 2 - 3 England. The game was effectively won by the spawniest penalty you'll ever see. The third goal was a cracker though, sealing a hat trick for Fejiri Okenabirhie. After mangling his name in the line ups and after the first goals, the tannoy man bailed and just announced it was "a hat trick for Fejiri", and doing the same when he was subbed. Wales had some decent chances to equalise before the end, but couldn't get the ball in the net.

I'd give Fejiri Okenabirhie man of the match. A very talented player who normally turns out for Dagenham & Redbridge, but could probably do some damage at a higher level.

Comment

Watched Cardinal Newman play Collegiate Old Boys Reserves in the league cup for the Liverpool Old Boys Division Three. Fairly dull first half but a better second, with Newman winning 2-1. A rare floodlit game in this league, played at the Liverpool University Sports Ground.

The rest of the week sees a couple of trips to east Manchester - Man City Ladies in the Champions League tomorrow then Argentina v Italy on Friday.

Comment

Usually a Bath City player or two in the Wales C team but appears not presently.

Comment

Bootle 4-1 Maine Road

Relegation threatened Maine Road took the lead with an outrageous dipping 25 yarder, but that was as good as it got for them. Very enjoyable, fast-paced first half and considerably duller second - perhaps not surprising as Bootle had cruised into a 4-1 lead at the interval and the visitors looked like they’d decided to limit the damage. Enjoyed hearing their goalie shout in exasperation after yet another lofted cross went straight into the hands of his opposite number, “What are you putting it in like that for? He’s about fucking six foot nine!!”

Comment

Carlton host Lincoln United tonight as they aim to start making up some of the nine games in hand they have in the NPLD1S. Got a few Sat-Mon-Wed-Sat or Sat-Tues-Thus-Sat weeks lined up in the last month or so of the season.

I'm off there straight after Week 3 Day 1 of my c25K (7pm), so I shall be wearing some very bad trackie legs and running shoes.

We seem to play Lincoln United or Stocksbridge Park Steels (who drew at the Bill 1-1 a week ago) at least six times a season, or it seems like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                                            Usually a Bath City player or two in the Wales C team but appears not presently.
                                            It was restricted to Welsh Premier League players as it was celebrating 25 years of the WPL, apparently. There were no Wrexham players called up either.

Comment

Went to AFC Rushden & Diamonds 0-1 Hayes & Yeading United on Tuesday in the Southern League Division 1 East. Apparently Hayden Road is Rushden Town's old ground.

Thursday was Stourport Swifts 1-1 Rugby Town in the Midland Premier League. The road system in Stourport had me baffled at times.

Comment

Working...
                                              X