Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quit Facebook eight years ago.

Comment

Never joined Facebook, but am fairly certain there will be some sort of 'shadow profile' on there - I do occasionally get mails asking if I'd like to join, presumably because my name has been mentioned in some post somewhere on the site, or a member has forwarded a link to a Facebook post to my email address.

Comment

Does anyone know if linkedin do shadow profiles too? I keep getting people asking me to link to them on that site despite the fact that I've never joined.

Comment

I thought those were automated scripts that just sent invitations to everyone in your inbox, but don't really know.

Comment

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/976082247584542720

Comment

Originally posted by blameless View Post
              Does anyone know if linkedin do shadow profiles too? I keep getting people asking me to link to them on that site despite the fact that I've never joined.
              It's possible that they do, but I think it is probably just that LinkedIn has this really crap way of trying to get people to sign up - when I got to my account there it will show me a bunch of people from my email address book (some of whom are on LinkedIn and some of whom are not) and ask me if I want to connect to them on LinkedIn. Unless one looks very closely you don't see whether you're trying to connect with a fellow LinkedIn user or inviting someone on to it.

Comment

My LinkedIn account regularly invites me to 'connect' to a friend and ex-colleague who died five years ago. Oh, what, you're Doris fucking Stokes now, are you?

Comment

Originally posted by imp View Post
                  Oh, what, you're Doris fucking Stokes now, are you?
                  An anti-social medium gag to lighten the mood?

Thanks for all the detail above

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                    We have adopted the guidelines into our own DPA, but because it is UK legislation at heart underpinned by the HRA then it can always be changed.
                    AOK, THX.

Comment

More revelations, this time from within Facebook itself. Tip of the iceberg.

Comment

Julian Assange ⌛
                        ‏@JulianAssange
                        Follow Follow @JulianAssange
                        More
                        I have accepted a request by the select committee of the UK parliament @CommonsCMS to give evidence, via video link, about Cambridge Analytica, and other matters, later this month.
                        Unfortunately, he can't be nicked by video link.

Not sure I'd bother with this. He'll just read out pre-prepared youtube hits.

Comment

He'll become the story. Handy, that.

Comment

Nixed. A sacrificial lamb for an unMercerful god.

Comment

Is there some kind of secret competition for being the stupidest Old Etonian?

Comment

Originally posted by SouthdownRebel View Post
                                Nixed. A sacrificial lamb for an unMercerful god.
                                “In the view of the board, Mr Nix’s recent comments secretly recorded by Channel 4 and other allegations do not represent the values or operations of the firm and his suspension reflects the seriousness with which we view this violation.”

Sure thing, you lying fucking neo-Nazi cunts.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                                  Is there some kind of secret competition for being the stupidest Old Etonian?

Conceivably could be talking about data stored outside the US. Google and Microsoft and other tech companies are fighting the government on this very issue.

Comment

You are a very charitable person

Comment

There's no connection between this company and Cambridge University is there? I ask because I've heard the University mentioned twice today on the radio in connection with CA.

Comment

Nix is just 42 years old. I would have believed 62.

Comment

No connection to the university (though Dr Kogan/Spectre, the researcher who originally obtained the data had a post there).

Also no connection to Oxford Analytica.

Comment

Originally posted by Reginald Christ
                                            I deleted mine several years ago however this story has me concerned over just whether or not it has actually been deleted and isn't lying dormant somewhere on Facebook's servers.
                                            I would wager money that there is data of yours on their servers, but would be wary of describing it as dormant.

For anybody about to delete their account, it may be worth running the script mentioned here, which removes as much of your content from your profile as can be found. Though, in light of the aforementioned, it shouldn't be assumed that any of it is deleted from Facebook itself. I didn't actually know of this before I deleted my account a few months back, so was at least preserved having to face how much of a twat I was ten years ago.

Comment

There will be enough Facebook punters who don't follow the news to keep the brand profitable, I suspect, despite this damaging month.

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                                                Nix is just 42 years old. I would have believed 62.
                                                Fuck off. Feel better about my next birthday so. Nothing ages you like Monty Burns evil then. Being poor and left wing must be doing my skin a power of good.
                                                Last edited by Lang Spoon; 20-03-2018, 22:37.

Comment

There will be enough Facebook punters who don't follow the news to keep the brand profitable, I suspect, despite this damaging month.

I suspect most people don't care. It's not as if the possibility of an event like this hasn't been discussed, and there've been plenty of other incidents elsewhere when personal information has been compromised through hacking, or just incompetence.

Comment

Who has been using Facebook and not realising the data was shared, at least on here with a savvy and intelligent population? If you're getting off Facebook are you dropping Google too? No loyalty cards etc?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X