Cambridge Analytica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
    There will be enough Facebook punters who don't follow the news to keep the brand profitable, I suspect, despite this damaging month.
    Give how much its share price has grown over the last few years I doubt Zuckerburg is really losing much sleep over this.

Comment

[url]https://twitter.com/AnandWrites/status/976079750707011584/photo/1[/url]

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ethan View Post
        Who has been using Facebook and not realising the data was shared, at least on here with a savvy and intelligent population? If you're getting off Facebook are you dropping Google too? No loyalty cards etc?
        I never had any illusions about my data being collected and used for advertising purposes - that's why it took me so long to join FB in the first place. Deleting the account is a tiny gesture of protest, coupled with a desire to no longer see people's fake, idealised lives portrayed through smiling, happy holiday and family reunion pics. I will very much miss Nishlord's posts, though. He was the main reason I stayed on there so long.

Doing without Facebook-owned WhatsApp, for example, would be impossible right now - I use it to communicate with both the football teams I coach, and on training and match days it's essential for practical reasons. Who's coming, who's not, who's in the team, has training been called off at the last minute because the pitch is flooded again (happens at least twice a month). It's also good for getting last-minute refereeing assignments. There are no ads on it (yet) and it doesn't intrude on my life except when i want or need it to.

Comment

I also use WhatsApp because I communicate internationally and SMS would be prohibitively expensive. And the WhatsApp user interface is ten times better than SMS. Apparently WhatsApp has SSL security from end user to end user, which it makes it more secure than SMS or voice call. So I assume the only data they can gather is which phone numbers are communicating with each other, when and roughly where (can be determined through mobile phone masts even if you have GPS turned off).

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
            You are a very charitable person
            Well, I only said it's conceivable. Though there is also
            https://twitter.com/carolecadwalla/status/976193236996902918]this.
            Last edited by Ginger Yellow; 21-03-2018, 10:24.

Comment

Ah the modern world frightens me, I long for the simpler times when what news I could consume wasn't decided by an algorithm, but was decided by the director of programming at RTE, or a handful of newspaper editors operating at the behest of their owners, where most people believed that God was watching them at all times, and if god wasn't watching you, your neighbours certainly were, and I narrowly missed out on the era where you had to assume that the switchboard operator who lived locally was listening to your phonecall. Back then we were truly free.

How did people imagine that Facebook operated? One of the more obvious things about sharing your information on a social network, is that you are sharing your information on a social network, and you should always assume that anything you do on a computer can be read by someone else. I mean christ knows how many viruses, or little bits of software are on this computer I'm using to type this that are keeping track of what I'm doing. I mean this computer has a camera looking at me, and a microphone right beside it, and both are connected to the internet. That I can live with, my problem is that I'm a bit worried that someone is using my CPU to mine for bitcoins, and that is slowing down my computer. Anyway even if I were to live a digitally hermetically sealed life, all I would have to worry about then is the possibility of hackers simply stealing my medical or banking records from centralized servers.

That said these people should all burn, and hopefully people can become a lot more aware of what they are actually doing, or the implications that carrying a smart phone around with you has for any notions you might have of privacy.
              Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 21-03-2018, 16:04.

Comment

https://twitter.com/carolecadwalla/status/976202142187999233

Formed last year, but the Mercers were added as directors earlier this month.

Meanwhile, the ICO still can't get access to CA's offices and apparently have to wait until Friday for a warrant. Ridiculously slow in a situation like this.

Comment

Thread
                  https://twitter.com/Liam_O_Hare/status/976182257160515584

Comment

Lib Dems harvested data from MySpace http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/s...20180322146330

Comment

Good set of tips from FB Purity, an app which I use to customise my facebook

Regarding the current news about the Cambridge Analytica Facebook user data breach, FB Purity was warning its users about the problem with Facebook applications stealing their data back in 2010! (see: https://www.facebook.com/notes/fluff...0156651570171/ )

If you value your privacy and still want or need to use Facebook. Here's a list of some of the things you can do to protect it:

1) Ditch the Facebook mobile phone app, it basically has complete access to anything you do on your phone, and tracks everything you do, sucks up all your contact info, tracks you with GPS etc etc. Its safer to use the Facebook mobile website at http://m.facebook.com in your mobile's web browser.

2) When browsing Facebook on a desktop web browser make sure you have a tracker blocking browser extension such as Disconnect , Privacy Badger or Ghostery installed, as this will stop Facebook tracking all the websites you visit in your web browser. The way Facebook tracks which sites you visit is via the ubiquitous "like" button widgets that website owners include in their web pages. Facebook even tracks non Facebook users in this way and creates what are known as "shadow" profiles.

3) Never use the "Facebook" sign-in method to login to other websites. Those websites get access to some of your Facebook data when you do this.

4) To make sure Facebook applications by third parties cannot access any of your or your friends data, turn off the "Facebook Platform" in Facebook's settings on the following page: https://www.facebook.com/settings…
                      To do this, go to the section titled
                      "Apps, Websites and Plugins" , click Edit and then change the setting to disable "Facebook Platform"

5) If you don't want to completely turn off the "Facebook Platform" as you still want to use certain Facebook applications or Facebook sign-in, you should go through the "App settings" at https://www.facebook.com/settings… and remove any Facebook apps that you no longer use, and also go to the section titled "Apps others use" and untick all the boxes there (This will stop apps your friends use from getting your data even if you yourself are not using the apps)

6) Review and edit your Facebook privacy settings at https://www.facebook.com/settings/…

7) Review the advertising profile Facebook has built for you at https://www.facebook.com/ads/preferences/… ( the F.B. Purity browser add-on lets you easily delete the list of Interests and Advertisers Facebook has generated for you) Its also worth reviewing the other settings on that page, such as the "ads based on your usage of websites and apps" setting, which basically means you will be shown ads related to websites you have visited, also important is the "ads with your social actions" setting, that basically means if any Facebook Page you have "liked" creates a Sponsored ad on Facebook they can use your name at the top of their ad to endorse their Advert.

8) This is an extreme one and against Facebook's terms and conditions but its better not to include any of your real information on Facebook, better to put fake information in there, including your name and address, birth date etc.

Of course if you really value your privacy the best thing is to stop using Facebook altogether, delete all the data on your Facebook account and then delete your account, though I don't think it will stop Facebook from keeping a "shadow" profile on you, and who knows if they really ever delete your data, there was certainly some news articles in the past on just that topic where Facebook was holding on to data it shouldn't have been.

Comment

https://www.theguardian.com/news/201...leksandr-kogan

The Guardian now report that Kogan was given a dataset mapping out 57bn friendship connections by Facebook. Perhaps more importantly*, the research paper he used this data to produce was co-authored by two Facebook employees.

In other words, Kogan** was rather more to Facebook than just some random academic messing about with apps.

* Because the data was apparently anonymized and aggregated by country and so wasn't providing details of individuals. Ethically this is not a problem in normal context
                        ** Or, Spectre as he was known at the time. A red flag if ever there was one, shurely Moneypenny?

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                          Lib Dems harvested data from MySpace http://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/s...20180322146330
                          Jesus, no wonder they got wiped out.

(i see now, the link beat me to the joke)

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                            I'm a bit worried that someone is using my CPU to mine for bitcoins, and that is slowing down my computer.
                            If you're genuinely worried, install a JavaScript blocker like NoScript.

Comment

You can block js in ublock origin which is my default ad blocker. I would recommend privacy badger as well, it's from eff and is a tracker blocker

"Privacy Badger is a browser add-on that stops advertisers and other third-party trackers from secretly tracking where you go and what pages you look at on the web. If an advertiser seems to be tracking you across multiple websites without your permission, Privacy Badger automatically blocks that advertiser from loading any more content in your browser. To the advertiser, it's like you suddenly disappeared."

Comment

Most browsers have options to block JavaScript.

Problem is, most webpages are full of JavaScript and blocking it makes many of them barely usable.

Comment

A common failing of web design - you just want to know how much the shoes cost, the designers want to shower you with bells and whistles. The good ones use a technique called progressive enhancement so the website works either way. The lazy ones (most of them, I'm tempted to allege) don't bother.

Comment

Information Commisioner has her warrant, per Channel 4 News.

Comment

Plenty of time to destroy hard drives there. If you refuse the Data Protection Commissioner access in Ireland, the warrant is close to instant. What a stinking rotten corrupt country. That ducking judge postponing cos CA’s brief was “unavailable”? Bullshit.
                                      Last edited by Lang Spoon; 24-03-2018, 02:03.

Comment

As others have said, wish they'd been that careful with our data.

Comment

I found this podcast to be quite enlightening on how Facebook actually works

https://twitter.com/onthemedia/status/977319105119375360

Comment

Hold on. I thought it was the Russians with all the election interference?
                                            I'm confused.

Comment

I'm curious about what all these people now throwing a fit about the Facebook app scraping their call and text info are going to do when they realise that nearly every other app they have does the same thing..

Comment

If they will keep clicking "yes" to all those permission requests

Comment

Originally posted by SouthdownRebel View Post
                                                  If they will keep clicking "yes" to all those permission requests
                                                  I've always clicked 'no' to that request, regardless of where it came from. It's a bit like a stranger knocking on your door and saying, "Do you mind if I come in and spend a few weeks reading all your personal letters, checking out your book and record collection, and listening in on all your personal conversations? Oh, and I'll need somewhere to sleep - the marital bed will do just fine."

Why would anyone say yes to that?

Comment

Well, it used to be the case with a lot of apps you just couldn't use them if you refused, at least on Android. Still not a great reason to click yes, and I've given up on apps before as a result, but you can see how people might if they really want/need the app.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X