No announcement yet.

GAA 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking more like Limericks long wait could be over,just when Galway started making a comeback Limerick grab a second goal, 2.15 to 0.13 now

Comment

Amazing finish to the game,Limerick were 8 points clear with 5 minutes to go but in 8 minutes of extratime Galway got two goals to get back into it,Limerick held on to win in the end by a point,a last second Galway free dropping short,so after 45 years the Liam Mc Carthy cup is back in Limerick

Comment

That was fantastic. So pleased for Limerick. Having spent his first 18 months in Whalley range, my dad spent the next seven years in Mayo, and then down to East Limerick until he was 18, which means he's shackled to the Mayo footballers, and the Limerick Hurlers. Between music lessons every weekend, and visiting my Grand Aunt in Dromcollogher, and doing the big shop in LImerick, i would be more familiar with limerick than north or east Tipperary, and this is going to make so many people so fucking happy.

Comment

Was there something like 2% of the population of the country at that match?

Comment

About 1.72% so yeah,close enough

Comment

Nearly 90,000 turn out to welcome the team home,Limerick city and county population according to the 2016 census was just over 162,000

Comment

All-Ireland Senior Football Final: Dublin v Tyrone

Somewhat of an Alien vs Predator feel to Sunday's decider, as Dublin's stranglehold over both League and Championship is even more pronounced than Kilkenny at their hurling peak, while Tyrone's "distinctive" brand of football and PR skills are impossible to warm to. As for the game itself, the champions strength in depth and attacking variations should propel them to four-in-a-row. Meanwhile, Kerry minor manager, Peter Keane, effectively has a televised audition for the senior job, as his minors push for their fifth consecutive title.

Comment

Only surprise in the Dublin team is Eoin Murchan retains his place instead of Michael Fitzsimons,not convinced yet by him but Jim Gavin knows best,despite their recent dominance the Dubs have only won one final by more than one point,I'm going for a 4 point win tomorrow to buck the trend

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                    Was there something like 2% of the population of the country at that match?
                    It helps that 1% of the population is a bit more than 40k. For instance, there was 1% of the irish population in Paris for our game against france in the qualifiers for the 2006 world cup.

other interesting figures. When the pope came to visit in 1979, about one third of the population (well over a million) turned up to see him in the phoenix park. I'd be surprised if there was more than 100,000 Irish people there to see him this time. So that's down from 33% down to 2%.

Comment

A notable comeback by Kerry in the minor game - they trailed Galway 1-8 to 0-4 in the first half, but dominated the second 30 minutes to prevail 0-21 to 1-14, so Keane should get the senior job now, and Paul Walsh looks a talent in the making.

Comment

Tyrone playing decent football, 0-3 to 0-1 ahead at the start.

Comment

5-1 now!

Comment

After a dubious penalty, Dublin pull away, and now lead 2-5 to 0-6.

Comment

As good as over already, 2-7 to 0-6 at HT.

Comment

At 0.5 to 0.1 down I was worried but once we got our noses in front (Kerry dubious obviously means something else,I thought both penalties were nailed on) there was only going to be one winner, late comeback by Tyrone threatened to make a game of it but poor shot and pass selection in the final third was a killer.
                                Anyway we've got the four in a row,the drive for five starts now

Comment

I thought the penalty was ridiculous too, until I realized that because I was watching the ball, I was looking at the wrong tyrone player. When I figured out which tyrone player to watch it really really looked like a penalty.

Comment

All-Ireland Camogie Final: Cork v Kilkenny

A familiar line-up for the first female decider of the year, with the two counties now meeting in four of the last five finals. Denise Gaule is probably the most renowned name for the Cats, managed by the redoubtable Ann Downey, while Cork's Aisling Thomson is arguably the biggest camogie personality, following her public statements on depression. The Camogie Association has always been rather more conservative in relation to the media than their Ladies Football counterparts, and thus an attendance of only 20-25,000 is probable, but on the pitch, the Rebels start favourites to retain their crown. If Breege Corkery lines out and wins on Sunday, she will equal Rena Buckley's record of 18 senior titles (both would have 11 football and seven camogie successes).

Comment

Going to the finals tomorrow,looking forward to the opener,the premier junior final with an unusual Dublin v Kerry clash. It's the Kingdom camogie teams first appearance in headquarters and from what I've heard should be a good game.
                                      The senior final is anyone's game but I'm going for Cork by a couple

Comment

4 time all Ireland winner Kieran Donaghy has announced his retirement from inter county football, following Colm Cavanagh last year that's the second "big awkward to play against bollocks I shouted abuse at but actually admired " to retire in a row,unfortunately Aidan O'Shea has a few years still in the tank

Comment

All-Ireland Ladies Football Championship Final: Cork v Dublin

This showpiece has officially become the biggest female sporting event in Europe in recent years, with the attendance at last year's final reaching 46,286, largely due to the excellent patronage provided by TG4. After an incredibly dominant period where The Rebelettes won eleven titles in twelve years, last year saw the mantle passed to Dublin, who start as favourites tomorrow. Sinéad Aherne is the star name on the champions' panel, alongside Noelle Healy and Nicola Owens, and the expectation is that the Brendan Martin Cup will remain in the capital for the third time.
                                          Last edited by Diable Rouge; 16-09-2018, 15:50.

Comment

A new attendance record of 50,141 - on the field, it's fairly even but a late Dublin goal give them a 2-6 to 1-5 HT advantage.

Comment

So it's the first week of the Club championship, and things have been heated in Tyrone.

Stewartstown were playing strabane, when they decided to have a good old fashioned faction fight.

But if that fight should have Yakkity sax played over it, something considerably worse happened in the game between Moy and Edendork elsewhere in tyrone. 20 players were booked, six were sent off, but this happened to Sean Kavanagh. Apparently someone dropped on his head with both knees as he lay on the ground. This guy has recently retired from the Tyrone county team, and has a considerable claim to be the greatest player ever to play for Tyrone, and would generally be considered to be a sort of local god. And someone did this to him.

https://twitter.com/buddygreene/status/1041308488578883589

This sort of thing is why people in the south are ready to wait for a united Ireland. This is fucking off the charts.

Comment

James Horan looks set to return as manager of Mayo, who are already dealing with a ladies football saga, as Carnacon have been repeatedly expelled and reinstated from their county championship after a player walkout from the county squad during the summer.

Meanwhile, the perennial close season debate over a two-tier football championship rumbles on, with a proposal to introduce such a system in 2020.

http://www.the42.ie/all-ireland-foot...omment-7530469

That said, any gulf that does exist is between a maximum of six counties and the rest, so personally, I would replace the current formats with two 16-team league divisions, playing 15 regular games between January and July, with three knockout games in August. Three or four teams would be promoted or relegated between the divisions, and club football would follow for the remainder of the year.

Comment

Paid my season ticket for 2019 this week, won't get any use of it until next February, you can't beat the GAA for getting your money

Comment

Of course, with the changes to the hurling championship, only the football draw was required tonight:

Leinster:

Preliminaries:

1. Louth v Wexford
                                                    2. Wicklow v Kildare
                                                    3. Meath v Offaly

Quarter-finals:

1. P1 v Dublin
                                                    2. P2 v Longford
                                                    3. P3 v Carlow
                                                    4. Westmeath v Laois

Semis:

1. QF1 v QF2
                                                    2. QF3 v QF4

Munster:

QF1. Tipperary v Limerick
                                                    QF2. Clare v Waterford

Semis:

1. QF1 v Cork
                                                    2. QF2 v Kerry

Connacht:

QFs:

1. New York v Mayo
                                                    2. Leitrim v Roscommon
                                                    3. London v Galway

SFs:

1. QF1 v QF 2
                                                    2. QF3 v Sligo

Ulster:

Preliminary Round:

Tyrone v Derry

QFs:

1. Preliminary v Antrim
                                                    2. Fermanagh v Donegal
                                                    3. Cavan v Monaghan
                                                    4. Down v Armagh

SF:

1. QF1 v QF2
                                                    2. QF3 v QF4
                                                    Last edited by Diable Rouge; 11-10-2018, 20:32.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X