Auf Wiedersehen, Pet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Auf Wiedersehen, Pet

I'm sure there was a thread somewhere already, but I'm buggered if I can find it.

Anyway. Repeats on Yesterday in the UK, and, despite its problems (and it has a few), it still has lots to recommend it.

Good to hear it still holds up, Toby. Haven't seen it for a good few years but I have very fond memories of the early ones. Dick clement and Ian le frenais were involved so no wonder. They were also involved in Lovejoy, another classic of that era.

Comment

The theme music still stands up, in its various forms (intro and end titles, various versions), inasmuch as I can still remember all the words.

I firmly believe your favourite character belies your true nature. So, Wayne, then. Erm.

Comment

I've got a box set of the two original era series and watched it a couple of years ago, the first series stands up relatively well (as noted, with some problems) and I keep meaning to revisit it again, but the storylines in the second series were too much of stretch and they tried to fit too much into it, I found. I watched some of the later era ones at the time but didn't haven't a lot of warmth for them and have never gone back to them.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
          the first series stands up relatively well (as noted, with some problems)
          What were the problems? Barry was my fave charater btw

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
            What were the problems? Barry was my fave charater btw
            The racial stereotyping dates it - you could argue that it was reflective of attitudes at the time and I'm sure there would have been a lot worse said on building sites at the time in real life, but some of it is still cringey like (if I remember rightly) Bomber referring to an Asian prostitute as 'Suzie Wong'. The role of women generally is to be leered at by the lads - again it doesn't make it much different to other series at the time but dates it.

I do have some pet annoyances about plot lines which I've probably mentioned on here before - like the convenience and affordability of flights between Dusseldorf and UK regional airports, allowing the boys to pop back when a plot required it, and why they had to have Sunderland playing Standard Liege instead of Newcastle - but I realise they are a bit niche.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
              The racial stereotyping dates it
              Fair enough, although as you suggest that's probably true of most TV from our youth. As I remember there were well-drawn female characters eg Nev's sensible wife and Denis's posh German girlfriend.

I do have some pet annoyances about plot lines which I've probably mentioned on here before
              I found it pretty realistic having done a couple of spells working over there in the early 80s. In a factory packing tinned fruit. The workforce- almost all Turkish gastarbeiter and foreign students- was about 70% female so we called it Surf City ('two girls for every boy').

Older men often keep the attitudes of their youth. Before the NI- Germany game last year I met up in Belfast with both away fans and some of the growing English Green and White Army. The latter were (probably unconsciously) referring to the German lads as 'Erichs'

Comment

Working...
              X