Bluetooth speaker question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bluetooth speaker question

Does anyone know of a Bluetooth speaker that will display the .mp3 file tag details (artist, track, album, etc)? I connect to my current device from both my phone and PC. With the latter I access and play my music library via Winamp, but if I’m using the shuffle function it means that I often struggle to identify the track playing without diving back to my PC to check. I should add that I have a library of close to 90,000 pieces of music, mostly jazz, and my memory really isn’t up to task of remembering it all.

With the latter I access and play my music library via Winamp, but if I’m using the shuffle function it means that I often struggle to identify the track playing without diving back to my PC to check.
    This is a kind of over-engineered solution, but you could just use Shazam/Soundhound/whatever on your phone while you're near the speaker.

Comment

I can't answer the OP, unfortunately, but I can shamelessly hijack the thread. I'm looking for a good soundbar for the TV which can also provide good sound for streaming music, etc.

I've seen this - https://www.naimaudio.com/mu-so-qb - and would love one, but I'm blanching at the price, TBF. Any other suggestions welcome.

Comment

I've seen amplifiers with built-in Bluetooth that do this, but I'm not aware of a speaker. This would be a good little project for an Arduino or Raspberry Pi, but I'm pretty sure that's not what you're looking for.

I play all my music via Plex, so it's always visible on my smartphone.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
          I can't answer the OP, unfortunately, but I can shamelessly hijack the thread. I'm looking for a good soundbar for the TV which can also provide good sound for streaming music, etc.

I've seen this - https://www.naimaudio.com/mu-so-qb - and would love one, but I'm blanching at the price, TBF. Any other suggestions welcome.
          I just run the TV through the amplifier in my stereo. I think a pair of big speakers will always outperform a soundbar.

There was a discussion on soundbars on Guardian Tech a couple of weeks ago.

Comment

I bought a cheap Goodmans (don't laugh) bluetooth soundbar off Amazon for less than £50 about six months ago. Plays all my music/podcasts and works well off the telly. It's probably not brilliant, but it's better than telly speakers - although it is actually a bit bass heavy.

Can't help on the original question, sorry.

Comment

Having hinted that I didn't want to hijack gjw's thread I'm now going to do exactly that.

I've got my eyes on this Denon mini system and wonder if anyone has any experience of them? I'll listen before I buy, of course, but it ticks all the connectivity boxes and as our living room isn't particularly cavernous it will be plenty loud.

Comment

Having hinted that I didn't want to hijack gjw's thread I'm now going to do exactly that.

I've got my eyes on this Denon mini system and wonder if anyone has any experience of them? I'll listen before I buy, of course, but it ticks all the connectivity boxes and as our living room isn't particularly cavernous it will be plenty loud.
                Looks good, but my only issue is--and I'm really not a golden-ears audiophile--that Bluetooth is a lossy format and not the best sound quality. For that reason, I have a Chromecast Audio plugged into my stereo.

Comment

Yeah, I want to try before I buy. I have lots of CDs and this seems like a decent piece of kit for the money, I'd only be streaming on Bluetooth via my Echo and even then really not that often.

Comment

Anyway. I still feel bad about the thread hijack so in answer to the OP, it seems that the Revo Superconnect may fit the bill?

Not sure of budget, etc. but Richer Sounds are knocking them out at £299.

Comment

Anyway. I still feel bad about the thread hijack so in answer to the OP, it seems that the Revo Superconnect may fit the bill?

Not sure of budget, etc. but Richer Sounds are knocking them out at £299.
                      Cheers, TG. Probably a little out of my price range, given that it would solve an issue that is really only a minor irritation, but it's useful to know that there is something out there that would do the job.

Comment

What's not clear though, is whether the display shows the ID3 tags of the track you're streaming over Bluetooth.

Solely based on this video, it would appear not.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
                          I just run the TV through the amplifier in my stereo. I think a pair of big speakers will always outperform a soundbar.
                          My hifi separates system went years ago after much encouragement from Mrs Flibl. Sob.
                          There was a discussion on soundbars on Guardian Tech a couple of weeks ago.
                          Thanks for that link. I've just ordered the Hitachi soundbar mentioned therein.

Comment

Originally posted by wiblflibl View Post
                            My hifi separates system went years ago after much encouragement from Mrs Flibl. Sob.
                            Fräulein Pepys moved in a few months ago; obviously there was intense horse-trading with regards to decor and furniture, but the stereo was the only thing I wasn't prepared to compromise over. Although I did adapt the shelf-unit thingy to her taste.

In any case, she still uses a CD/cassette recorder, so doesn't have much of a leg to stand on.
                            Last edited by Stumpy Pepys; 28-03-2018, 13:28.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
                              What's not clear though, is whether the display shows the ID3 tags of the track you're streaming over Bluetooth.

Solely based on this video, it would appear not.
                              Hm. Apologies for my shonky advice, then.

Anyway, Stumpy, as you're here; I bought the Denon. My question now, is, is it better to route the audio signal (via optical) from the TV or the cable box? (It has two optical inputs and one is already reserved for the XBox).

Comment

No idea to be honest. I've got everything running through a Cambridge Audio amp.

Comment

Ta. Just wondering about signal lag, I suppose. We do often stream online content to the TV so if there's a noticeable delay it might be best to connect the cable box as opposed to the TV (or indeed vice versa).

Trial and error time.
                                  Last edited by Toby Gymshorts; 28-03-2018, 23:09.

Comment

Does the TV have an audio delay setting?

Comment

I've just checked, and yes it does.

Comment

Well pleased with the sound from the Hitachi 2.1 soundbar via HDMI ARC, though the remote is tiny with unreadable-in-poor-lighting buttons. Won't be much of a problem when I've memorised which button does what. Bluetooth sound is decent enough too.

Overall, ninety quid well spent.

Comment

Nice.

Comment

Indeed, and only possible due to Mrs Flibl having enough Euros left over from a trip to Euro Disney to pay for the replacement for my knackered old Android tablet. Everyone's a winner.

Comment

The Echo, paired with the Denon via Bluetooth, delivers excellent streaming with (to my ears) no real loss of fidelity. Well pleased.

Comment

Incidentally, it does not display ID3 tags. But then I'm anal enough to know all of my tracks by artist and name.

Not a humblebrag, BTW. As I've mentioned elsewhere, this stuff stops me remembering important stuff like birthdays and anniversaries.

EDIT: Then again via Alexa I'm asking for them by name. When I stream from the laptop on shuffle I can identify the playing track.
                                                Last edited by Toby Gymshorts; 02-04-2018, 20:46.

Comment

Working...
                                                X