• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Champions League quarter finals

Barcelona v Roma

Sevilla v Bayern Munich

Juventus v Real Madrid

Liverpool v Manchester City

Even if Man Utd were still in it, I'd manage to contain my excitement.

Comment

Perhaps one for the European Cup Trivia thread, but I can't think of many times English clubs have played each other in the quarters and semi-finals. But I fully admit to having very much a Madricentric view of the tournament so maybe they're playing each other year. Anyways, I think that last tie could be a real doozy.

Comment

A great draw for Manchester United given the circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
          Perhaps one for the European Cup Trivia thread, but I can't think of many times English clubs have played each other in the quarters and semi-finals. But I fully admit to having very much a Madricentric view of the tournament so maybe they're playing each other year. Anyways, I think that last tie could be a real doozy.
          Didn't Chelsea and Liverpool play each other about 3 seasons in a row? (or did it just seem like that?)

Comment

I think Man U beat Arsenal one year as well.

The good/bad thing depending or your POV is that it guarantees an English club a place in the semis, but also means there can't be an all-English final whereas all-Spanish is still on.

Obviously a Real v Barca final is going to happen within the next few years so maybe this is the one, although Bayern and Man City look the best two in the field.

Comment

Liverpool/Chelsea

2004/05 - SemiFinals
              2005/06 - Group Stage
              2006/07 - SemiFinals
              2007/08 - SemiFinals
              2008/09 - QuarterFinals

Comment

BBC say that Chelsea v Man U in 2011 was the most recent all Premier league quarter final.

From the western end of the A580 I’m quite happy with the draw, although I wish the second leg had been at Anfield. I couldn’t see Liverpool beating Real Madrid, Barcelona or Bayern Munich, and two games with Juventus would’ve just been horrible - so barring Roma or another match up with Sevilla, this feels like the best chance of progressing.

Comment

Prefer to be at home for the second leg for one of "those nights at Anfield". But it's not a bad draw for Liverpool. They've proven they can beat City recently.

Comment

Liverpool winning the whole thing this year would be less surprising than when they won it in 2005. They have a better team this year, for example.

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate les bleus View Post
                      BBC say that Chelsea v Man U in 2011 was the most recent all Premier league quarter final.
                      I have absolutely no memory of that. I think I'll google it, to see if my memory might get jogged.

EDIT: Googled it. No memory of it. I sort of remember the semi-final against Schalke, and vaguely the final.
                      Last edited by G-Man; 16-03-2018, 20:04.

Comment

The scheduling of the Merseyside derby has upset Klopp, whom I expect to be invoking faeces in the mouth of a deceased singer.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                          The scheduling of the Merseyside derby has upset Klopp, whom I expect to be invoking faeces in the mouth of a deceased singer.
                          I don’t really get his point. Does the timing not favor Liverpool as they will get more time to prepare for the second leg?

Comment

I think he really wanted to have the weekend off. With only 6 days between the legs, there is no timeslot that would have made him happy.

Comment

Ronaldo ruins the tie by netting after three minutes.

Comment

Diabolical defending, but this is by no means over.

Comment

Terrible play by Juve to allow Isco the space for the cross and then Ronaldo the freedom of the box but that was a delicious stabbed finish for the goal.

Comment

What are we calling this Real third kit, two tone teal?

Comment

Was everyone in the 1950s as bored shitless of watching Real Madrid win this year after year as we are now?

Comment

Not I. Running with that comparison though - essentially, Ronaldo is the di Stefano of our time, no?

Great save navas.

Comment

WHAT. A. SAVE!

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                                            Was everyone in the 1950s as bored shitless of watching Real Madrid win this year after year as we are now?
                                            Very few people were actually “watching” in the fifties.

It would be hard to get bored of watching this lot play like this - they give opponents chances too so it’s not as sterile as some dominant sides.

Comment

Yes, it's a great game. As ursus said, juve are still in this tie.

Comment

Poor header from the normally reliable Chilean. He should have got it on target, at the very least.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                                  What are we calling this Real third kit, two tone teal?
                                                  Am not keen on the different width of stripe on the back of juve's strip. Better than no stripe at all I suppose.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X