No announcement yet.

Orban goes full on anti-semite

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A fairy is "zana" I think (pronounced just as you'd imagine). I have no idea what hedge is. But most fairies hang out in undergrowth no? Wouldn't fairy be enough? You don't hear about many urban fairies

Comment

Google translate suggests Gard viu. but would zana come before or after that?

Comment

I'm not sure if I have ever really seen a hedge in Romania. Certainly never heard the term Gard viu. If that really is a hedge then it would probably be something like zana din gard viu

Comment

Try zara frunzelor. Means something like fairy of the leaves . That's the best I can manage

Comment

Would a bilingual two year old have learned the word for hedge anyway? That seems very niche, even for Ireland.

Here's a pendant of ad hoc's suggestion that looks good to me (though I have never understood Irish fairy culture)
            Last edited by ursus arctos; 09-07-2018, 20:05.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
              I'm not sure if I have ever really seen a hedge in Romania. Certainly never heard the term Gard viu. If that really is a hedge then it would probably be something like zana din gard viu
              hold on...... what? What do they have between their fields, or around their houses?

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                Would a bilingual two year old have learned the word for hedge anyway? That seems very niche, even for Ireland.

Here's a pendant of ad hoc's suggestion that looks good to me (though I have never understood Irish fairy culture)
                It's nothing to do with irish culture. She thinks she's a fairy, and she hangs out in hedges.

Comment

I assume that you know that "fairy" has a rather different meaning in Upstate New York.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                    hold on...... what? What do they have between their fields, or around their houses?
                    Around their houses, fences. Between their fields... Well Romanian agriculture is sort of feudal without the aristocracy. Everyone owns a strip of land. Using fences or hedges to separate them would just take away valuable space.

Comment

Hah, Scott is dead sound. Himself and the missus are doing post doctoral research in biomedical devices, and Galway is a major centre for that sort of carry on. My cul de sac is like sesame street, and overrun with swarms of children. Whereas I just want to be left alone in my bin.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                        Try zara frunzelor. Means something like fairy of the leaves . That's the best I can manage
                        Oooh where are my manners. Thanks very much. I'll give that one a go.

Comment

This is a really good long read about how Orbán has turned Hungary into a "soft fascist" autocracy https://www.vox.com/policy-and-polit...arianism-trump

Comment

I was going to post that. Excellent review of a really depressing situation.

Comment

god that's grim.

on a brighter note, I tried out your translation on Andi, and she nearly fell over. I had broken one of the iron rules of her existence. Romanian was the language spoken by her mam. her sister, her nana, and her au pair. She's been to romania for a holiday since, but at the time she may well have thought that romanian was something that only women spoke. For someone else to say something in romanian shook the foundations of her little world. her mam thought it was hilarious.

Expect a European Arrest Warrant for conspiring to confuse a toddler to arrive any day now. We take that sort of thing very seriously over here.

Comment

I'm glad I read that but I wish the article hadn't needed to be written.

Comment

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/16/o...o-hungary.html

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                    god that's grim.

on a brighter note, I tried out your translation on Andi, and she nearly fell over. I had broken one of the iron rules of her existence. Romanian was the language spoken by her mam. her sister, her nana, and her au pair. She's been to romania for a holiday since, but at the time she may well have thought that romanian was something that only women spoke. For someone else to say something in romanian shook the foundations of her little world. her mam thought it was hilarious.

Expect a European Arrest Warrant for conspiring to confuse a toddler to arrive any day now. We take that sort of thing very seriously over here.
                                    That's brilliant. When I lived in Portugal I had a friend from the US who was married to a Portuguese woman. He took their son home to the States when he was about two and a half. Behind them on the plane were two American women. After a few minutes he whispered "Daddy, why are those women speaking man's language? "

Comment

https://twitter.com/alistaircoleman/status/1049324499030761472?s=21

Comment

CEU rector Michael Ignatieff has just made a speech to the assembled staff that if they can't reach an agreement by Dec 1st, the university will move to Vienna

Comment

https://twitter.com/pressfreedom/status/1061644737210445824

Comment

Weekend FT had an extraordinary story that does not seem to have got wider media traction

The former Macedonian PM Gruevski was due to start a sentence for corruption but has fled the country in Hungarian diplomatic car and and is seeking asylum in Budapest

The US has called for Gruevski to be returned

No comments have been made by the Hungarian foreign affairs office per the FT

Comment

Ignatieff interview in the Globe and Mail https://www.theglobeandmail.com/worl...ry-a-deadline/
                                              So, what’s happening here is important, and this little university, without overdramatizing, has been at the centre, because if you don’t have free universities you don’t actually have a democracy. … Academic freedom is not a luxury for professors, it’s a key indicator of what kind of democracy you have and whether you have one at all. What’s happening here is: “Wake up, take a look, pay attention." It’s simple.

Comment

https://twitter.com/wahida_rahman02/status/1068894136001077249?s=21

Comment

https://twitter.com/astroehlein/status/1068506071168372736?s=21

Comment

a result of the above

https://twitter.com/liliebayer/status/1068465282593841153

Comment

Working...
                                                    X