• Show
Clear All

Orban goes full on anti-semite

details

https://twitter.com/shaunwalker7/status/974289017700323328

https://twitter.com/shaunwalker7/status/974320174131306496

Fucking hell

Comment

Walker calls it a dogwhistle but it is too overt to qualify as that. I would hope that other states treat Hungary as a pariah but I suspect that there is a core of antisemitism across all the countries that had regimes that collaborated with the Nazis, and some that did not.

Comment

Yes, these are worrying times in Central Europe. Orban is further on with this stuff than other leaders in the region, but there are elements in other countries (certainly in Slovakia) that think he should be some sort of role-model.

I'm going to Budapest for a school event next week, so it'll be interesting to hear what my colleagues from there have to say.

Comment

I know this is serious, and I don't know enough/anything about it, but I wonder whose side Britain would be on, if anything kicked off.

Comment

What do you mean by "kicked off", Gero?

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
              Walker calls it a dogwhistle but it is too overt to qualify as that. I would hope that other states treat Hungary as a pariah but I suspect that there is a core of antisemitism across all the countries that had regimes that collaborated with the Nazis, and some that did not.
              to be fair Walker said in his next tweet it was more of a trumpet than a dogwhistle

his report is here

Gero we know some people in Britain would be sympathetic- Orban does a very unpleasant line in anti Muslim rhetoric too. I think they'll be supported by people who see British position spost Brexit trengthened by the weakening of the EU that comes from having governments like Orban or the Poles and Austrians . The current Israeli government which criticised its own ambasssador in Budapest when he complained about the Hungarian government's anti-semitic poster campaign about Soros has given them a figleaf allowing them to back him with impunity.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
                I know this is serious, and I don't know enough/anything about it, but I wonder whose side Britain would be on, if anything kicked off.
                Britain would be on Britain's side.

Comment

I'd be quite happy for the EU to kick Hungary out tbh, but presumably they couldn't because of national veto's.

Comment

I'm not going to link it, but an online Daily Express article ignores the anti-Semitism completely. Lots of praise for Orban in the BTL comments, as one would expect for a shitrag of a newspaper.

Comment

Some scrote spray painted swastikas and "Nazi" on walls in the local park last night, and fly postered posters on local shops about reclaiming pride in "our symbol" (the swastika again).

Comment

Under what circumstances can the EU kick a country out?

Comment

There isn’t a treaty basis for expulsion.

There is, on the other hand, a provision allowing for the suspension of significant rights

Both Hungary and Poland have been threatened with this recently without it going very far.

Comment

I don't know if there are specific red lines
                            But it has to be agreed by all the other members. And at least for the time being Poland for one will always side with Hungary.

Comment

Because of what ursus says there are moves afoot to make certain budget money easier to withhold so they can get round the need to have 27 countries in agreement to sanction

Comment

I hope they can do that. But it looks like the EU's been here before, and I can't remember anything coming of it.

https://www.reuters.com/article/uk-e...82B0S120120312

Comment

Orban's channelling Vichy France now.

Travail, famille, patrie.

Comment

Why do people give centrists such a hard ti- oh FFS!

Comment

Ffs. Idiot Joy Showland. Sensible Hindenburgs. Sounds like a cozier version of the Chicago Boys that ruined central and Eastern Europe in the 90s. Let’s enable the Nazis to save democracy.

Comment

Increasingly I think he may be right. As appalling as it is to even think it. And it does seem to be an idea that is gaining traction. In a recent by-election this was (unofficially unspokenly) tried and it was a huge success (though the candidate that was left to fight Fidesz was not a Jobbik candidate, which makes it leave less of a hideous taste in the mouth)

Comment

Christ. Why is Hungary so viciously right wing. Between the far right by populist expediency and Proper Nazis, that’s a huge majority of the population voting for evil. Even Poland looks vaguely sane compared to that.

Comment

Jobbik have tacked to the centre recently (I don't trust them for a moment, but that's certainly the way they've moved) . On most issues they're to the left of Fidesz now

Comment

Not that this makes them anything resembling "centre right" or owt obviously

Comment

Christ, the comments on that Guardian story.

Comment

This is a reasonable summary of where we are now, with a week to go before the election https://sg.news.yahoo.com/hungarys-r...-sh&soc_trk=tw

Comment

Working...
                                                  X