Biggest Gulf Between A Major Actor's Best and Worst Films

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Biggest Gulf Between A Major Actor's Best and Worst Films

Mention of John Wayne on the classic thread brought to mind this question. The man who starred in Red River and The Searchers also promoted The Green Berets and various phoned in westerns. Can anyone compete with that?

Nicholas Cage

Comment

I think every decent actor who's been around long enough has turned in a few dogs. Have you seen Marlon Brando's Maharishi imitation in Candy?

Comment

Surely there is no descent as steep as that of Robert de Niro, from the Olymp of any of his masterpieces you'd care to name to the depth of the devil's anus that was the "Meet The Fockers" series.
        Last edited by G-Man; 15-03-2018, 06:14.

Comment

Michael Caine has some classics on the CV, and also Jaws 4.

Eddie Murphy has many bad movies in his past. Including some that he wrote.

Comment

Bela Lugosi is a strong contender here. From 'Dracula' to 'Plan 9 From Outer Space'

Comment

What was the comedy show that did Orson Welles as a life in reverse? Started out with his masterpiece and ended up doing sherry commercials

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                Surely there is no descent as steep as that of Robert de Niro, from the Olymp of any of his masterpieces you'd care to name to the depth of the devil's anus that was the "Meet The Fockers" series.
                Meet the Parents is pretty good and De Niro is excellent

Comment

I have to side with GMan here. Meet the parents and its sequel (s?) are awful. However I'm not sure how terrible De Niro is in it as he's basically playing a cartoonish version of himself in other films - it's difficult to tell if it his performance that is awful or simply the entire project. Se also Analyse This and its successors

Comment

Ed Norton went from Fight Club to the remake of the Italian Job in about 4 years. That's a pretty rapid descent.

Comment

1. Nic Cage - Wild At Heart --> Vampire's Kiss
                      2. Nic Cage - Leaving Las Vegas --> The Wicker Man
                      3. Nic Cage - Raising Arizona --> Drive Angry

I mean, I could go on. Face/Off alone is a best-to-worst contender within a single movie.
                      Last edited by Ginger Yellow; 15-03-2018, 08:53.

Comment

John Travolta went form LOOK WHO'S TALKING NOW to PULP FICTION and then back to BATTLEFIELD EARTH, in fact his whole career has looked like a seismograph printout

Comment

Laurence Olivier: so many, vs. The Betsy.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                            But Eddie Murphy only has Trading Places on the positive side (and arguably Shrek, but I suspect he doesn't get much of an acting credit for that)

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                              But Eddie Murphy only has Trading Places on the positive side (and arguably Shrek, but I suspect he doesn't get much of an acting credit for that)
                              48 Hrs was good. I enjoyed his Nutty Professor remake as well.

Comment

Eddie Murphy's selling point never was his thespian ability. In that great trilogy of debut films -- 48 Hours, Trading Places, Beverley Hills Cop -- he was funny and personable, but he never was likely to turn into Denzel Washington. There wasn't much of a height to fall from.

Comment

Defend Meet The Parents all you like, I still say that De Niro has Rocky and Bullwinkle on his CV.

Edward Norton was shit in The Italian Jobbut that is because it was a contractual obligation and he hated doing it. It's actually a decent movie, if it wasn't called The Italian Job more people would like it.

If we go to directors, Coppola went from The Godfather to Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                                    De Niro was the first name which came to mind when I saw the thread title.

Comment

Halle Berry appeared in Monster's Ball and Catwoman within about a year of one another.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                        Michael Caine has some classics on the CV, and also Jaws 4.

Hasn't Caine freely admitted he's done a lot of films purely for the size of the paycheck and also filming location without giving any thought to artistic merit?

Comment

The hugely entertaining SMERSHPod podcast on Jaws 4 contains the famous Caine quote "I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific.”

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                            The hugely entertaining SMERSHPod podcast on Jaws 4 contains the famous Caine quote "I have never seen it, but by all accounts it is terrible. However, I have seen the house that it built, and it is terrific.”
                                            I very much enjoy that podcast, but part of me wishes that they would spend less time on side specials and focus more on the main course. Discussion of the Pierce Brosnan era started in September, and we still haven't heard about Skyfall yet. We're getting one Bondcast per month.

Comment

Jeff Bridges has been in some woeful shit since he won his Oscar, which in theory should give an actor more control over the quality of their projects, and his performances in R.I.P.D. and Seventh Son are extremely grating.

Russell Crowe reliably turns in duff performances, either ridiculously intense or so blokey as to constitute cinematic manspreading.

Comment

These days, from True Grit onwards, I can't actually understand a thing Jeff Bridges says.

Comment

I was going to suggest Brad Pitt but there aren't really many terrible films that rely on him. I mean you have Troy but that's not his fault.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X