Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RIP Stephen Hawking

Stephen Hawking has passed away.

Stephen Hawking, Astrophysicist With Paralyzing Disease, Dies At 76 https://www.buzzfeed.com/danvergano/...erm=.crjpV4x8o
    Last edited by Femme Folle; 14-03-2018, 04:17.

Bummer

Comment

Gutted. If ever there was a time we needed brilliance and inspiration.

Comment

I remember one time reviewing a proposal that one of our researchers was submitting, I was looking over his CV, which I don't look at all that closely except to make sure that they've put it in the specific format that a sponsor wants, then a name jumped out at me: Stephen Hawking was his dissertation advisor. I was momentarily blown away, you don't really think of Hawking as being involved with the normal university stuff like advising students, etc. It was a really cool thing to think about.

I got to see him give a lecture at Caltech when I was in college. I don't remember what it was about at this point, but it was fully packed, of course, and he had some jokes in the Q&A segment.

RIP

Comment

I saw him a few times in Cambridge. I assume I saw a lot of well known academics in Cambridge but of course Hawking was the only one I (and everybody else) instantly recognised.

He outlived his diagnosis by over 50 years which seems like a good innings. <doffs hat >

Comment

He backed an academic boycott of Israel too. A good man

Comment

I liked his appearances on The Big Bang Theory.

Comment

A great scientist of course. A man who knew that it was only because of the National Health Service that he survived and was able to be a great scientist. And he said so again and again.

Comment

And ran over the toes of people he didn't like in his wheelchair.

Apparently he expressed regret at not having been able to run over Margaret Thatcher's feet.

Comment

I was working on my maths studies a few years ago at a table in the central core building of the Cambridge maths faculty building and looked up at one point to see him parked at the next table along. I had to move to work elsewhere after a bit, as my concentration was not helped by the effort of trying not to stare. Great man. RIP.

Comment

He was, obviously, a leading voice on atheism but he had respect for religion where he felt such respect was warranted. So he (along with other atheist scientists) was a member of the Pontifical Academy of Sciences and happily attended conferences in the Vatican, and even addressed them.

Comment

He outlived his diagnosis by over 50 years which seems like a good innings. <doffs hat >

Absolutely this. I'm gutted at the loss of a great human being (even more than great scientist), but the knowledge that he lived to his mid-70s when he wasn't even expected to make his mid-20s is a nice thought to hang on to.

Comment

Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. It matters that you don’t just give up.
                          RIP.

Comment

https://twitter.com/sokane1/status/973770629588684801

Comment

Imagine being either Vanessa Redgrave or Tariq Ali, and being the least famous person in a photograph together:

Comment

Nothing to add to some lovely posts here. RIP great man.

Comment

Guardian obituary by Sir Roger Penrose one of the few people equipped to assess and describe his contribution.

Comment

John Humphreys asked Brian Cox whether Prof Hawking was “cut some slack” due to his disability.

Comment

I'd ask that question. And expect the answer to be a resounding "no". Sometimes we ask questions to have their premise debunked.

Comment

It wasn’t just that, he made jovial reference to his eyelids being the only part of him that worked, a throwback show of ignorance.

Comment

Probably pissed off by SH anti-Brexit stance...

Comment

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
                                            He was, obviously, a leading voice on atheism...
                                            As such, I'm never comfortable with a term so rooted in the religious concept of the afterlife as 'Rest in Peace/RIP' being used on their death.

A great man, who will be much missed.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post
                                              Imagine being either Vanessa Redgrave or Tariq Ali, and being the least famous person in a photograph together:

Apparently that's not him.

Comment

This will always be my favourite photo of him, and I'm pleased to see it featuring in much of the worldwide coverage of his passing

Comment

From the Mail (look, it was a sidebar to a story I got sent about something else) so I won't link but:

This Morning concluded Wednesday's installment with a video tribute to the late genius Stephen Hawking, who sadly passed away on Wednesday morning at the age of 76. The segment was played in the last few minutes of the show, with Holly Willoughby and Phillip Schofield declaring they were leaving viewers with a special tribute to the physicist.

However, viewers at home were left stunned by the ITV show's epic blunder when Meghan Trainor song All About That Bass was accidentally played in the background of the montage.

The inappropriately placed tune - which boasts lyrics including 'I got all the right junk in all the right places' - suddenly ground to a halt, before the correct voiceover featuring Hawking replaced it.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X