RIP Ken Mulhearn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RIP Ken Mulhearn

This won’t mean much to most posters, especially younger ones, but I’ve just learned of Ken’s death and I’m genuinely saddened.

https://www.shrewsburytown.com/news/.../ken-mulhearn/

I knew him very slightly (he was a good friend of my mum’s), interviewed him once and he was one of my first Shrewsbury ‘heroes’.

He was a lovely bloke and a super goalkeeper.

Very sad news. A couple of years before I started watching, but a club legend.

Comment

Think I saw him play at least once, RIP.

Comment

When goalkeepers had grey hair, but lots of it.

RIP.

Comment

Won a League Championship medal with Manchester City so I remember him well. RIP.

Comment

Love the picture in this piece of the 79 promotion celebrations.

https://www.shropshirestar.com/sport...-sadly-missed/

Chris/Tony, he would have been in goal when Shrewsbury beat City in the FA Cup, 1979, wouldn't he? I was at a couple of Shrewsbury games that first season in the old division 2. I especially remember seeing West Ham, Trevor Brooking and all, get hammered 3-0. Pretty sure Mulhearn was the 'keeper that day too.

Comment

I was at the 1979 cup tie and I'm pretty sure Mulhearn didn't play - I would have remembered. What I do recall was that City put out a very strong side and were well beaten.

Comment

Good bloke Ken.

I used to have the occasional pint with him down the local sports and social club, when I first moved back to Shrewsbury. Like Chris, he was the 'keeper when I first started watching Salop in '76 and even then had grey hair. So it was a bit of a 'thing' for me to share a drink, and listen to stories from that season.Thank you Ken for being so kind and patient. Mind you, I always bought him a pint first.

He was always good for a yarn and always had nice things to say about people. When we (we being the Trust) got the Championship winning side together for a 30 year anniversary, he stole the show with his anecdotes and humour.

He had Parkinsons these last few years and I never saw him around. I hope he didn't suffer like I know some people can.

As for the Manchester City FA Cup game, Bob Wardle was in goal. Ken was injured for a good part of the campaign, but got back in the team toward the end of the season and saw us up as Champions. He was, however, in goal for the West Ham game during our first season at tier 2.

He was released at the end of the 79/80 season, after Wardle established himself (another excellent 'keeper whose career was cut short by an eye injury after signing for Liverpool).

Ken went to Crewe and played around 80 games. When Ken retired he ran several pubs in Shrewsbury. The Saddlers (my local), the since demolished Springfield (where I drank as opposed to being at Shrewsbury College of Arts & Technology on day release) and, I think, the Exchange. Before retirement he was a porter up the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital.

Rest easy big fella.
                Last edited by NickSTFU; 14-03-2018, 19:00.

Comment

Always known the name as the popular goalkeeper of our most recent division winning side (66/67), good to hear he sounded like a lovely man too, RIP.

Comment

Working...
                  X