Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Too many bad memories. Too many memories there.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too many bad memories. Too many memories there.

Music that got you through a bad time in your life but you cannot play it now because it brings back that pain too vividly.

The Smiths' first album is lyrically their best but I cannot play it. 1984 was just too dark for me personally and a shit time politically. But I was doing better by the time Meat Is Murder came out so I can still enjoy that one, which I think is musically their best album, i.e. the one that would still be a great album if you removed the vocals.

Not an album, but a song. Pearl Jam - "Indifference". Got me through my first proper breakup, always stopped the album before it got there for the best part of ten years until Ben Harper covered it at a gig and I made it through in one piece.

Comment

For me, an odd choice I know, "A Life Less Ordinary" by Ash (from the film of the same name). For similar reasons to Snake.

Comment

Sunshine on Leith. Came on the car iPod as I was taking my dearly beloved dog Ted to the vets for the final time. Even now 3 years later, that song reduces this hardened, gnarled, tough-as-teak 53 year old to a tearful mess.

Comment

That's too sad Foxy.

Comment

Not quite the same thing as the thread title intends, but about 30 years ago, I was dumped by a woman called Margaretha. A few days afterwards, I was sitting in the pub after I'd played football and one of my team-mates - a Yorkshireman who I think would be described as "big and bluff" - discovered "Maggie May" on the jukebox.

For the next hour, I had to sit there while he repeatedly inserted coins into the machine, pressed the same buttons each time and then exhorted me every time to "sing up, treibeis, son: 'Oh, Maggie, I wish I'd never seen your fa-er-ace'". I didn't blub - this was the 1980s and I was a centre-half, for crying out loud -, but it was a close-run thing.

Since then, every time I've heard the song, my face cracks into a smile.

Comment

After my father died, my mother played Julie Covington's "Don't Cry For Me Argentina" on loop. She had bought the record just days earlier and it was the last one she and he had listened to together. To this day, in my head, her sobbing forms part of the arrangement. It's not an easy song to hear.

I suppose the melancholy mood of the song provided an appropriate soundtrack to my mother's grief. Maybe it's good that she didn't buy "Ma Baker" that week.

Comment

I used to listen to The Shy Retirer by Arab Strap a lot during a not-so-good time in my life and tend to avoid it now for that reason.

In the couple of months before my mum died last year I was listening to Jane Weaver's Modern Kosmology a lot and Slow Motion from that album brings that time back a bit more sharply that I can handle yet.

Comment

Teenage Fanclub's Mellow Doubt was released at the time of my father's final days (April 1995). It's a great song anyway, but one that somehow also managed to express exactly how I was feeling at the time, knowing he probably wasn't coming out of hospital.

My mother's choice for that time was Where Corals Lie, the Elgar composition performed by Dame Janet Baker - which I gather was a favourite of theirs when I was a wee boy. This was played at her funeral twenty years later, along with the Judy Collins version of Send In the Clowns.

I'll always love Mellow Doubt but would struggle to listen to Where Corals Lie now - perhaps because losing my parents is the only reference I have with it personally.

Comment

Oddly, I bought Hats by the Blue Nile on the worst day of my life - after I'd sobbed over a Full English in a cafe on Bury Market - but it's always been a comforting presence ever since.

Comment

The first Tindersticks album is, in the main, as miserable as I was at that specific stage of my life. Played it a lot back then, wouldn't want to hear it now.

Comment

Originally posted by Auntie Beryl View Post
                        The first Tindersticks album is, in the main, as miserable as I was at that specific stage of my life. Played it a lot back then, wouldn't want to hear it now.
                        Shit. Was going to post something half-true relating to getting over a break-up by listening to Tupac in an attempt to seem a bit above all of this. Unfortunately, the mention of the Tindersticks first album has reminded me that break-up has meant I still can't listen to "Can We Start Again?"...

Comment

Cocteaus can be a tough one because I associate them with a time when I was less cynical. But the beauty of the music and that voice cannot be excluded from my life indefinitely so I go back to the catalogue every couple of years.

Comment

One of my girlfriends - the Hull one - introduced me to The Divine Comedy. (An easy sell to a fan of Momus and Sparks. I'd only avoided them previously since I based my judgment of them on the rather repetitive 'Something For The Weekend'.) I got quite into them while we were together, buying all their albums (to that point). However, after we split, I started to listen to them less and less - possibly because it coincided with the end of the 'suit era' to, and I liked the later stuff a bit less. I haven't played them in about 10 years now. Possibly time for a revisit.

Comment

Can you watch Father Ted evilC? If yes then you're safe to revisit.

Comment

Working...
                              X