No announcement yet.

Hitting the Wall. S'all good - weekend matchgoing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been in the away end at Wimbledon a couple of times and seen sod all of the game on both occasions, so giving that a miss. Planning on Tooting & Mitcham United vs Dorking Wanderers.

Comment

I've temporarily relocated to Tonbridge so intending to check out Angels v Worthing this afternoon.

Comment

Rained all night here which has absolutely decimated the non-league programme. Plan is now to go and watch, erm, my team. Sheffield Wednesday v Bolton Wanderers.

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
          Rained all night here which has absolutely decimated the non-league programme. Plan is now to go and watch, erm, my team. Sheffield Wednesday v Bolton Wanderers.
          Same in the Midlands. Hinckley vs Chelmsley is off. I think that’s 13 home games still to play.

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
            Rained all night here which has absolutely decimated the non-league programme.
            Speaking of which...

https://twitter.com/1874Northwich/status/972417124529524737

Comment

We're looking a bit ring-rusty and Rochdale are looking pretty confident...

Comment

So far it's a bit of a mess and totally free of any atmosphere.

Comment

Bollocks.

Comment

After a long period of us attacking, inspired by an incorrectly disallowed goal just before half time, Rochdale score. Their 399 fans suddenly wake up.

Comment

It's all getting a bit edgy. Some fuckwit from our end throws a bottle onto the pitch then a Rochdale sub gets booked for interfering with the ball.

Comment

Five more minutes.

Comment

Shaw Lane p-p Sutton Coldfield

Comment

That's three fucking wins out of three for Rochdale at the New York. Bastards.

Comment

Shrewsbury average (2) Walsall utter gash (0).

I really can't work out if Salop were really average, or just stuck in 2nd gear, because the Saddlers were so poor.

Either way, I don't care.

And that's only the second time in over 40 years of watching football that have I seen fans from the same club fight among themselves. Fulham being the other lot.

Comment

Sheffield Wednesday 1-1 Bolton Wanderers

One of the subthemes of this season is how bad the Championship is. This was a spectacular example of it, a pair of sides who could barely string three passes together and collectively offered nothing in the final third, yet both will likely stay up. It was absolutely howlingly awful to watch at times. There is also nothing more frustrating than shipping an equaliser in injury time as we did.

I'd like to report on the first five minutes of the match but I didn't see them. Rocked up at ten to three as usual to find the club no longer sells tickets on the turnstiles and instead everything is sold from two people in a small unit on the car park. That meant there were huge queues for service from those poor sods rather than the personnel being dissipated via the turnstiles. I don't know who's behind this - Chansiri, Meire or someone else but the policy seems designed to deliberately antagonise fans. If any of the Wednesday bloggers or the WSC deputy editor are lurking this merits wider exploration, the club will shortly be in receipt of a furious email from me and I may riff on the fact I post on here.

All told though it was one of those days that was fun apart from the football, nice to be able to go to football in my light jacket and I did a mini crawl including some of my favourite Sheffield pubs (Rutland, Shakespeare, Wellington). Pity about the 85 minutes in the middle.

Comment

In contrast to Nick's damning review upthread, I didn't think Walsall were that bad. Shrewsbury started well, scoring after 5 minutes and hitting the post on 7 minutes. After that Walsall came back into it. They had a couple of very useful strikers and a very short midfielder who was good on set pieces. Shrewsbury looked like they could drop points right up until Abu Ogogo tackled the ball into the net with three minutes to go.

Shrewsbury now on 71 points with 11 games to go, they're off to Wembley next month, and I've seen them beat Walsall, at last. It's been some season so far.

Comment

Haha, ok.

But, we were average and if they weren't "that bad" they would have got a point at least.

They had a couple of flurries which resulted in a couple of chances, but blimey they were all over the place and Oztumer was the only player for them who might have done something, all be it from a set play.

They were the worst team I've seen home and away this season.
                                    Funny thing is Hurst acknowledges an average performance.

Comment

WBA 1 Leicester 4

A good close tight game until Mahrez put City 2-1 up. It's rare, and must be a real concern for Baggies fans, that rather than giving it all in an attempt for a leveller, to a man they stopped playing and seemed resigned to their fate. The last 20 minutes whilst great for the travelling fans must have been a nightmare for the home fans; at least those who bothered to stay to the end. Apart from the obvious chants around Pardew being sacked tomorrow morning it's sad to report that he didn't respond to the away fans asking "Pardew, Pardew, do your dance". Perhaps his mind was elsewhere, like on a beach somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by NickSTFU View Post

They were the worst team I've seen home and away this season.
                                        Portsmouth were much worse imo

Comment

(If other users can forgive us for repurposing this as a temporary Shrewsbury msg board, as ours is unusable...)

My cynical take on Salop v Saddlers.

After 10 mins(?) I said to someone "This is park football." We promptly put together an excellent move to score and could have had 2 more in the next 10 mins or so. Then it went back to being park football. The first half was mostly awful.

Second half perked up a bit, but Shrewsbury's complete dominance was unmatched with much penetration or conviction; and every now and again, I was sure Walsall would get a sucker-punch in, especially after the odd good bit of football led, for example, to the generally excellent Nolan missing the ball completely when unmarked 8 metres from goal. We really struggle to finish off games.

Finally we settled it in the last few minutes. Oddly, there had also been a minor scuffle between two Salop fans in block 17 - just before the Walsall punch-up. One lad failed to land a head-butt on the other and a teenage girl sobbed uncontrollably for about 20 minutes. A family moved to sit in the front row and stewards scurried back and forth for 10 minutes, sorting everything out.

Oh, yeah, I think the football continued while this was happening.

Blimey, Walsall were bad. Oztumer was obviously technically good and the big striker (number 20) gave our centre-backs a hard time when he got a ball to chase or hold up, but as a team I think they managed to be about half the sum of their parts.

Comment

I went to Heywood Sports Village yesterday. I had hoped to watch Hooley Bridge Celtic v South Manchester Reserves on one of the grass pitches, but the rain put paid to that. Instead I watched Milton v Stoconians on the 3G. Milton are challenging for promotion and started well, taking the lead after about twenty minutes. They then had a load of near misses before Stoconians surprisingly equalised just before half time. The second half was again mostly the home team failing to take chances and a surprise away win looked on the cards when the visitors broke and took the lead with a few minutes left. Things got worse for Milton as their keeper was sent off for two yellows (no idea what either was for) but they immediately got an equaliser via a contender for the most route one goal of all time.

Incidentally I noticed in the same division that Moston Brook played their 21st of 22 league fixtures on February 24th. Their final game is scheduled for April 14th.

From Heywood I went to watch Rochdale Mayfield v Egremont Rangers in the rugby league National Conference. This was a late kickoff as it was being televised by Freesports, who seem to think there is an audience for a competition mostly played in glorified fields in front of crowds of a couple of hundred. Mayfield took an early lead but that was as good as it got for them. Egremont scored three tries to take a 16-6 lead into the break. The home side thought they had got back into it at the start of the second half, but the ball was dropped just before crossing the try line. The half remained scoreless in difficult conditions until the final seconds when an Egremont player managed to break through and run seventy metres to score.

Comment

Southport 3 Tamworth 0

Last minute decision to head to Southport, taking advantage of cheap Northern rail fares. Really goodday out - enjoyable game with Southport deserved winners, decent ground, Chinese buffet to detract son from having to watch football and, for once, managed not to get lost (thanks in part to Southport train station's concrete monstrosity of a frontage).

Comment

Tonbridge Angels 1 Worthing 2, Angels somehow contriving to lose despite arriving at 90 mins 1-0 ahead. Their portly substitute striker even had time to fluff the easiest open goal chance you could wish to see which would have at least rescued a point. Worthing's keeper was apparently a former Brazil U-20 international and their right midfielder Meekus, on loan from Brighton, looked pretty good. Enjoyable afternoon though, will definitely be back, possibly even on Tuesday to see this Billericay managerial circus...

Comment

Waldhof Mannheim 2-2 Astoria Walldorf
                                                  Another pretty enthralling game in the Regionalliga, I seem to be on a lucky streak with my choice of Mannheim matches. This one had the lot: a couple of really good goals, some excellent football from a dominant Mannheim side who could easily have run out 5-2 winners instead, a Sunday League back pass to gift Walldorf the lead, several efforts off the woodwork, a red card, ten away fans celebrating in a Gästeblock that holds a couple of thousand, great atmosphere from start to finish, and some moments when it really would have been easier for Mannheim to score than somehow scuff the ball out for a goal kick. They drop down to third place but are just a point behind Offenbach, and have to travel there and to league leaders Saarbrücken in the next month (as well as fitting in the Baden-Pokal semi-final in Karlsruhe, which will be a high-risk and probably all-ticket affair).

Comment

Utrecht 5 - Bikebags 1

Don't you love it when a plan comes together. Admittedly three of the goals were due to goalkeeper error, Vitesse scored a scorcher, had a goal disallowed, hit the aluminum a couple of times and forced some good saves, but anything less than a humiliating defeat for them would have been an injustice.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X