Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the presence of Genius

First topic of debate, Paul Pogba.

Not seen this guy have a great game yet which is quite a surprise for someone who cost so much money.
    Been watching him in the CL for Juve and in the World Cup and Euros for France.

Lacks the positioning and awareness of danger to play as a DM, does not create or score enough to be a AM and lacks the acceleration to play out wide.

What grates with me is that his poor performances are being put down to the role he has to play.
    He is a bang average player who does a few eye catching things a game.... A french Jack Rodwell without the injury problems.

Feel free to put me right.

Originally posted by Tactical Genius View Post
    A french Jack Rodwell without the injury problems.
    Well I've not seen him nearly enough to offer much of an opinion either way, but I felt that line deserved a little recognition. Ow.

Comment

I absolutely love watching him play. He's brilliant. It's not that he's playing in the wrong position, it's that he's being forced to play too deep all the time. Seeing him pick up the ball on the edge of our penalty area is frustrating given he should be picking it up on the edge of theirs.

He's been shite the past few weeks mind.

Comment

How long will the fans tolerate this conservatism, EIM? I’m guessing a bit longer if Saturday goes to De Gea brilliance rope a dope plan.

Comment

Turbo Newcastle. Rafa with dance moves. Jose, not Pogba. I almost want Pogba to be brilliant cos he annoys Liam Brady and Eamonn Dunphy so much.
          Last edited by Lang Spoon; 07-03-2018, 00:44.

Comment

He's not conservative, he's pragmatic. I'd like to see him with some proper defenders. I don't think he trusts the defence enough to let the midfield properly go.

If city weren't ridiculous then by any measure United are having a decent season. But they are, so Mourinho kind of has to magic something up.

There's no real pressure on him. Not at Old Trafford. Not yet.

Comment

Come on, he's fucking rubbish. A Nike wank fantasy creation.

Comment

You're fucking rubbish.

Comment

It’s just bloody awful to watch, EIM. And reeks of The Past. Barely anyone At Top Table plays as hellishly conservative as Mourniho anymore. It’s hard to see much progression or innovation in his last decade. Buy loads of really good players near the end of their peak, squeeze any creativity out of them, build a team where flair, is punished (or shipped out), then leave the club in a massive collapsing soufflé huff somewhere into season 3 or 4. Hopefully after some trophies. Arsenal and Chelsea turning to dogshit has probably got yer man a bit of time. But it’s beginning to look like self-sabotage with Himself. How soon before he makes eyes at PSG again?
                  Last edited by Lang Spoon; 07-03-2018, 01:47.

Comment

Pogba is so fucking thick he makes Gerrard look tactically aware.

Comment

I thought the issue with Rodwell was not so much that he's injury-prone as that he just doesn't want to play football.

Comment

Well, I'd venture that Pogba's a little better than 'bang average' - I mean, he was decent enough 'before' he went to United.

It's more of the lack of an adequate system to accommodate all these signings efficiently: I mean, they're doing better than the past couple of seasons, but one suspects that the idea was for United to be running away with everything City-stylee by now. Buying big for a quick fan-appeasing fix seldom works, at least not in in EPL. (I mean, what's Sanchez supposed to be doing?)

Comment

Pogba is outrageously talented - you can see that he's got it all, power, pace, skill. He's playing under a coach who won't - or can't - let him be the player he could be.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                            Pogba is outrageously talented - you can see that he's got it all, power, pace, skill. He's playing under a coach who won't - or can't - let him be the player he could be.
                            Is this your assessment from what you have seen of him play or are you agreeing with the prevailing orthodoxy?

His has a great first touch and if you sit off him, he can deliver some eye catching passes. but he flits in and out of games way too much for a central midfielder.
                            I would like you to name a few games where he has been dominant. For Juve, he was a bit of a luxury player with the likes of Pirlo and Vidal doing the real work there.

Comment

For Juve, he was a bit of a luxury player with the likes of Pirlo and Vidal doing the real work there.
                              Yes and no. Since Juve had that excellent combination in the middle, Pogba was often playing out wide on the left. His deliveries were a bit hit-and-miss but a useful attribute he brought to the team was the ability to chase down opposition fullbacks, often winning the ball quite high up the pitch.

Comment

I for one hoped that this thread was about TG.

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
                                  I for one hoped that this thread was about TG.
                                  Too kind, dd.

Comment

Is this your assessment from what you have seen of him play or are you agreeing with the prevailing orthodoxy?
                                    When I saw him play earlier this year. I remember thinking "if only that guy was coached to do things properly" - might have even mentioned it on here. He got shredded on the evenings MOTD for making poor decisions, but I was thinking that a proper manager would be coaching him into better decision making. I found it tricky to work out what his role was, and I got the impression if you don't tell him, then he's not going to figure it out for himself.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                                      Yes and no. Since Juve had that excellent combination in the middle, Pogba was often playing out wide on the left. His deliveries were a bit hit-and-miss but a useful attribute he brought to the team was the ability to chase down opposition fullbacks, often winning the ball quite high up the pitch.
                                      That's damning with faint praise.

So he's a French Shane long then?

Comment

Like many of his teammates Pogba is a fantastic player, that his manager is too fucking backward to use properly. There are no players under 30 who were trained to play the way that mourinho wants to play, because the way mourinho actually wants his teams to play was a throwback in 2004. Even Romelu Lukaku is Essentially nothing like didier Drogba. so I predict that this is going to keep on not working. Particularly since most other top teams are playing a far more advanced form of football that they are only going to get better at.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                          Arsenal and Chelsea turning to dogshit has probably got yer man a bit of time.
                                          Don't forget that it took a bit of time for Liverpool and Spurs to get into gear this season - if they'd been on it from the start, Man Utd would probably be nowhere near second.

Comment

I think that's called consistency

Comment

Man utd's fixture list for the first eight games of the season was laughable. It was mid october before they played one of the top 6 & burnley.

Comment

It's a fair point. If other teams had won more games then yes, they'd be doing better.

Comment

Originally posted by The Awesome Berbaslug!!! View Post
                                                  Man utd's fixture list for the first eight games of the season was laughable. It was mid october before they played one of the top 6 & burnley.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X