Records banned in your household

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Records banned in your household

LPs not appreciated by your significant other, which can only be played when you have the place to yourself, a la Jerry Leadbeater and Engelbert Humperdinck, when Margot is away.

At my gaffe, anything by Captain Beefheart goes down like a glass of sour milk. As does White Light/White Heat by the Velvet Underground.

Any of my Thrash or Prog albums. Apart from metal, TLMG and I have very similar tastes. I have very fond memories from very early in our relationship, of waking up on a Sunday morning to the sound of breakfast being made, soundtracked by Songs in the Key of Life.

I don't know if I've mentioned how lucky I am.

Comment

I'm still very lucky, but basically almost all of my collection.

Comment

She does not want me to play any of my U2 or Coldplay CDs.

Comment

You’ve got a keeper there Wouter. She’ll keep you on the just and righteous path.
          Last edited by Lang Spoon; 05-03-2018, 20:17.

Comment

I once managed to speed up an inevitable break up with someone entirely out of my league by playing Mother Sky by Can one evening. Lovely eyes, but deaf ears obviously.

Comment

For some reason my ex banned me from playing NWA to my young son. I'd like to say we split up over that as opposed to any particular flaws on my part...

Comment

I suspect that I can hazard a guess as to what that 'some reason' might've been...

Comment

MrLeam, previously.

Comment

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TpqacF6IzS8

MrLeam, later.

Comment

"Tricky Disco" by Tricky Disco is always a step too far. Apparently.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                        I'm still very lucky, but basically almost all of my collection.
                        This, although 'banned' is stronger than the reality. I get distracted easily if I'm listening to music and there is someone (anyone) else there who probably isn't enjoying it as much as me. Having the radio on is easier in company because there's less of a sense of inflicting it upon your companions. Mutually acceptable selections in our house do include Leonard Cohen and Helen Love.

Comment

I rarely play music these days, but the only thing that I remember my wife objecting to was the soundtrack to Koyaanisqatsi which I had on in a car she was driving in northern Scotland once. Apparently it was distracting her.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                            Mutually acceptable selections in our house do include Leonard Cohen and Helen Love.
                            It's Tom Waits in my apartment, oddly.

Comment

My own.

Comment

Lenny Cohen +, Tom Waits –

Though over time she's grown to tolerate One From the Heart and other more croonie Waitsiana.

TBH it isn't what I play, it's how LOUD! I play it that's the issue. She favours ambient background sounds, and doesn't seem to understand that the Pistols and Pere Ubu really don't work that way.

Comment

Pretty much just Sparks. Her nerves get shot fast on prog and The Fall, but there's still grudging tolerance.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                    and Pere Ubu really don't work that way.
                                    Weird. I tried to find a copy of Waiting for Mary to download just last week and it's impossible.

Comment

'Copper Blue' by Sugar. Although it took her about 20 years after it's release to finally say it wasn't one of her favourites. Thinking back, I played it to death when it first came out too.

So yeah, she's a keeper as well.

Comment

I’ve never met a woman who was into (as opposed to merely tolerating) The Fall.

Comment

I scored a small, but satisfying, victory last week at dinner. I asked the kids "If you were on a desert island and could only have my iPod or mom's, whose would..." "YOURS!".

<tilts chair back...>

Comment

I used to be really into The Fall (I had about 30 of their albums at one point) but I suddenly went off them for no particular reason a few years back. Not that I started disliking them or anything, but I just somehow completely lost interest and hardly ever listen to them now.

Anyway, nothing is banned in our house. The key is to have rooms with doors and more than one stereo.

Comment

Any of those mid-2000s British indie-rock bands: The Kooks, Razorlight, The Fratellis, Hard-Fi etc.

Painful memories of going round a mate's house and him doling out many a thrashing on Pro Evo.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
                                                My own.
                                                I'm the same. After a live gig once, Ms johnr said 'that was the worst fucking thing I've heard in a long time' so, if it happens to come up on my shuffle, I tend to move it on before the laughter/criticism starts...

Comment

Mrs 7610 has a lot of things going for her, but her unrelenting and extremely vocal hatred of David Sylvian isn't one of them.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X