No Mo' Snow. Midweek matchgoing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No Mo' Snow. Midweek matchgoing

Wealdstone v Welling tonight is currently on.

I'm hoping to have another tilt at the rescheduled Barnet Derby - Cockfosters v Hadley in the Spartan South Midlands League Premier Division. Still waiting to see if my original date Uros can make it.

Comment

Unterhaching vs Rot-Weiß Erfurt, unless the snow reappears.

Comment

Liverpool 'B' v. Porto

Comment

Also going to the inevitable goalless draw between Liverpool and Porto. Possibly Buckingham Town vs Irchester Utd on Wednesday.

Comment

Widnes v Runcorn Linnets tonight. Now you have to pay for the new bridge between the two towns, some are trying to brand it the "Classitoll"

Comment

Hinckley vs Coventry Alvis tomorrow night. I’m hoping melted snow and the forecast rain doesn’t leave a waterlogged pitch.

Comment

Klopp's going to put the League Cup team out tomorrow night and Porto will be 3-0 up at half time. Could get exciting.

Comment

I’m just hoping Danny Ings gets a goal - deserves something for his perseverance after two really bad injuries.

Comment

Kicking down in the first half and it's bloody raining...

Comment

This is the sort of game where the missing roof is annoying...

Comment

Plenty of chances and half chances for both teams, but still goal free.

Comment

There are Germans here supporting both sides...

Comment

My main worry now is that Welling will score the only goal of the game before the eighty-first minute...

Comment

Yes!

Comment

Finishes 1-0 to Wealdstone. Happy Monday...

Comment

Worksop Town 1-3 Handsworth Parramore

Scoreline just about reflected the balance of play in the end although it took until the last 20 minutes before any goals were scored. First half saw Handsworth have more play but Worksop had the better chances. Handsworth kicked on second half and had that bit more quality, similar to when I saw them beat Parkgate in January. They scored twice after Worksop failed to clear corners though in between there was an equaliser after a free kick was ballooned into the wall then Town knocked in from then resulting scramble. The points were secured with a late penalty. Worksop also cleared off the line three times and Handsworth hit the post. Crowd of 428 on a chilly evening, particularly good given that the home side have nothing to play for.

Comment

Cockfosters 0 Hadley 5

The Bricks slaughtered The Cocks* in the big Barnet derby in the Spartan South Midland Premier. The visitors seemed to be able to carve open the hosts at will all game despite them being relatively close together in the table. Cockfosters are on a bad run though, they’ve lost their last four games by an aggregate score of 0-16 and three of them were at home.

Two other points of note :

a) for I think the first time ever my favourite character at a football game was a linesman. He was in his teens, officiated perfectly and dealt with chippy players and supporters incredibly well with the perfect mix of authority and humour. I almost wanted to ruffle his hair supportively at the end.

b) the moodiest trees I have ever seen at a football ground. It only enhanced the feeling of being on the edge of civilisation engendered by being at the very end of the Piccadilly Line

* the club try and call themselves The Fosters, there is no way anyone is having that.

Comment

Tuesday 7th March
                                      Eversley & California 3 Sandhurst Town 0 - Aldershot Senior Cup Quarter Final (I think it was a QF, surely there aren't more than 8 teams in the Aldershot district?)

A clash of cultures as Eversley & California of the Combined Counties Division One took on Sandhurst Town of the Hellenic League Division One East in a competition I had no idea existed until the day of the game. The home side wearing blue & yellow hoops, with the away team in red & black stripes made viewing the match similar to watching a ZX Spectrum game load. Eversley took an early lead and never looked like giving it up, a second was scored just before half-time. The Sandhurst players spent most of the match being incredibly frustrated with one another and despite the absolute rollocking their manager gave them at half-time that everyone in the teabar heard, they let in another from a set-piece just after the interval and the game was all but over. Like Ray above, I quite enjoyed the performance of a linesman who kept telling the Eversley & California manager to "Get back in your box" as the coach kept wandering towards the pitch. Warning - £2 for a Bovril at Eversley.

Tuesday 8th March
                                      Longlevens 2 Bracknell Town 5 - Perpetua Press Floodlit Cup Quarter Final

Recently knocked out of the FA Vase Quarter Final and with focus on the league, a Bracknell second-string took on Longlevens and swept them aside with ease. It could have been ten. Really enjoyable game played by two teams who seemed to enjoy it, both teams leaving the field having a nice chat about the Spurs result that had been relayed to them. Despite the players enjoying it I did almost get involved in an "incident". At half-time I walked onto a grassy area and trampled someone's newly planted daffodils and I had to apologise to the old guy who had planted them. "Happens every bloody week!" apparently. It was dark and not even fenced off. This is as close as I'll ever get to trashing a club's ground as an away supporter or being a football hooligan. DCF (Daffodil Crushing Firm) or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                        b) the moodiest trees I have ever seen at a football ground. It only enhanced the feeling of being on the edge of civilisation engendered by being at the very end of the Piccadilly Line

Those are impressively moody.

Comment

Two games in the North West Counties this week. On Monday night I watched the top two play, Widnes v Runcorn Linnets. Very entertaining game won 2-1 by Widnes with the winning goal a 93rd minute penalty. The following night I watched third placed Charnock Richard host relegation threatened AFC Liverpool. Not such a good game in which the hosts didn't play particularly well, although thinking back they had four or five narrow misses which could have changed things. In the end a 2-2 draw was probably deserved.

Comment

Well got the amount of goals I expected at Anfield on Tuesday, fortunately saw a few more at Buckingham Town as they lost 3-4 against Irchester United in front of roughly 15 spectators. May go to Deeping Rangers on Friday.

Comment

Working...
                                            X