Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

He had a good run

Roger Bannister dies.

RIP. Probably the most famous British athlete for about 30 years, at least until Coe and Ovett. Better known than dozens of Olympic medallists.

For a generation of telly watchers he represented a sort of pre-60s nostalgia. Any documentary about the era, he'd be in the opening credits, along with Everest and Suez.

Comment

What I can never fathom is that the year he set the record, the public gave SPOTY to Chris Chataway, who had acted as Bannister's pacesetter. Was that a case of typical British recognition of effort over achievement?

Comment

Still one of the most famous, if not the most famous athlete in my 70s schooldays. Terrible irony as a neurologist that he got Parkinson's. RIP.
        Last edited by Sits; 04-03-2018, 12:29.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
          What I can never fathom is that the year he set the record, the public gave SPOTY to Chris Chataway, who had acted as Bannister's pacesetter. Was that a case of typical British recognition of effort over achievement?

Chataway won a big 5000m race that was televised live via Eurovision. He was perhaps the first sports star made by television.
          See his wiki page.

Comment

Working...
          X