Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Performers who (allegedly) suffered from stage fright (at some point)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Performers who (allegedly) suffered from stage fright (at some point)

Now, I have to preface this by saying that some of this list is based on hearsay, on my part - things I've heard from other fans. But at least some of it is well-founded, so the idea still stands.

Perhaps unsurprisingly* this list is dominated by women.

Cheryl Baker (Bucks Fizz)
    Susanne Freytag (Propaganda)
    Glenn Gregory (Heaven 17)
    Jill Bryson (Strawberry Switchblade)
    Sheila Chandra
    Andrea Bocelli
    Carly Simon
    Adele
    Eddie Van Halen
    Rihanna
    Ozzy Osborne
    Lorde

(* - I say this since I expect there is an element of objectification or threat that women feel when on stage in front of an audience usually dominated by men. At least one of the women mentioned above was stalked.)

Andy Partridge famously walked off stage during an XTC concert, and never played live again. Not sure how much of that was stage fright as opposed to valium withdrawal, but hey ho.
    Last edited by Toby Gymshorts; 04-03-2018, 00:27.

Comment

When I was going through the most debilitating of my panic attacks - not being able to sit in a restaurant or pub, having to leave a tube or bus and walk the rest of the way etc - I could still go and do a gig. I am not saying that I don't understand stage fright but it worked the other way with me; I was most comfortable onstage.

I remember Shirley Bassey, before a Royal Variety Performance, being almost unable to speak through nerves.

Nerves are interesting with performing. If I have no nerves before a gig, I don't enjoy it as much. I feel like you need an element of nerves to get that adrenalin rush which makes it all the more enjoyable. At the end of the day, half the performers you mention still perform so maybe there is an odd addiction to stage fright.
      Last edited by Bored Of Education; 04-03-2018, 01:00.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
        Andy Partridge famously walked off stage during an XTC concert, and never played live again. Not sure how much of that was stage fright as opposed to valium withdrawal, but hey ho.
        Wasn't the story that his [ex]wife and he were fighting, and she hid his valium or threw it away or something?

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
          Nerves are interesting with performing. If I have no nerves before a gig, I don't enjoy it as much.
          I posted a few weeks ago about how I'm a wreck before a big presentation, but the moment it starts I'm a rock and I'm fine for the duration.

Comment

Mrs Partridge, in a fit of pique, chucked Andy's meds down the toilet, apparently.

I think Jill Bryson suffered from acute agoraphobia, as opposed to merely stage fright. (The early - and best - Strawberry Switchblade tune Trees and Flowers appears to confirm this.)

Staying with eighties Scots new-wave females (he linked, clunkily), Liz Fraser also admitted stage fright as a major reason behind the Cocteau Twins' few-and-far-between live appearances.

Comment

Originally posted by evilC View Post
              Now, I have to preface this by saying that some of this list is based on hearsay, on my part - things I've heard from other fans. But at least some of it is well-founded, so the idea still stands.

Perhaps unsurprisingly* this list is dominated by women.

Cheryl Baker (Bucks Fizz)
              Glenn Gregory (Heaven 17)
              Jill Bryson (Strawberry Switchblade)
              Sheila Chandra
              Andrea Bocelli
              Carly Simon
              Adele
              Eddie Van Halen
              Rihanna
              Ozzy Osborne
              Lorde

(* - I say this since I expect there is an element of objectification or threat that women feel when on stage in front of an audience usually dominated by men. At least one of the women mentioned above was stalked.)
              I haven't heard of all of these, but which of them played to male dominated audiences?

Comment

Tracey Thorn suffered from stage fright her entire career, which is why she stopped playing live,terrible shame

Comment

I think Mike Oldfield was on his way to a performance in the early 70s, insisted they turn back, and barely performed again

Comment

Prior to that, Richard Branson had famously had to give Oldfield his Bentley to induce him to go ahead with Tubular Bells live.
                    Although Oldfield claims it was knackered, costing more to repair than its value.

Kate Bush is another notable stge fright sufferer.

Comment

I know several actors and, with one exception, they all suffer from stage fright to the point of throwing up. These days they use beta blockers

Comment

Green Gartside of Sceitti Politti.

Comedians in general, I imagine

Comment

Def Leppard earworm.

Comment

Most musicians and other performers that I know get hyped up, but just want to get on with it.

The notable exception being Marco ... OMFG. That's the main reason he stopped touring with Adam Ant, it got worse and worse for him, although apparently he was OK during the punk years, and OK at Live Aid and other huge gigs where he couldn't see anyone's face. When he was pushed into playing with his band in the 00s, at rather more modest venues, he was terrified and had to be cajoled, sedated and plied with whiskey before we could get him on stage. After five shows he refused to do any more, which was unfortunate as they had a (very good) album to plug. He was tempted by the prospect of a come-back gig with Adam at the O2 in 2009, which was briefly discussed, but it didn't happen for all sorts of reasons. Maybe for the best.

I sympathise, as I get terrible shaking/throwing up/thinking I'm having a stroke stagefright, but then it's not my job.

I've just looked again at this video, which sums up quite well (and hilariously) the differing attitudes within the band). Chris says "yeh, he's here" as Marco tunes up, his having gone AWOL for a short time before. I'm in it for a second at the end. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADeIUCZYXg0 Happy, or at least funny, days.
                            Last edited by MsD; 04-03-2018, 20:59.

Comment

Originally posted by evilC View Post
                              Really? Odd that she’s about to do some live shows with Claudia Brucken.

Comment

The worst show I ever saw by a band that I liked was delivered by Dubstar; apparently Sarah Blackwood had terrible stage fright and that night had got absolutely hammered just to make it on stage (two hours late). She seemed to be enjoying herself performing live with Client many years later, so had hopefully found a way round it by then.

Comment

Originally posted by Eggchaser View Post
                                  Def Leppard earworm.
                                  Cracker.

Comment

Originally posted by Furtho View Post
                                    Really? Odd that she’s about to do some live shows with Claudia Brucken.
                                    I didn't say that they *still* have it, or haven't got over it - see also Glenn Gregory - but that they have suffered from it at some point. I think Bucks Fizz also played in the last 10 years, too, so I think Cheryl Baker must have learned to cope with hers. I imagine that some of it is just to do with growing older and having to confront fears/obstacles in general.

I didn't realise Jill Bryson's issue was agoraphobia (simply read that it was stage fright). I actually know another (female) performer with agoraphobia (and M.E., as it happens). She would be in hiding before going on stage. I once saw her peek nervously from a stageside door before a gig, but that was it. Afterwards she'd be much better.

Comment

Nick Drake

Comment

That OTF 'favourite' Cilla Black suffered from stage fright. A cousin of mine claimed years ago that she ran off stage during an early (possibly first) live broadcast of her TV show, but I've never found any evidence to corroborate this.

Comment

Is there a footballing equivalent of Stage Fright?. I remember reading that Stanley Mathews sometimes threw up in the dressing room before big games and there is the cliché of players "freezing" on big occasions but it doesn't seem to be something that is as common as it is among stage performers.

Comment

One of Liverpool's 'Spice Boys' - not sure which - used to deal with big-match nerves by knocking one out beforehand, apparently.

Comment

...The ball rolls across the open goal, surely someone's going to get a boot to it?

Comment

Originally posted by wittoner View Post
                                                Is there a footballing equivalent of Stage Fright?. I remember reading that Stanley Mathews sometimes threw up in the dressing room before big games and there is the cliché of players "freezing" on big occasions but it doesn't seem to be something that is as common as it is among stage performers.
                                                In gridiron, there used to be one young defensive player (a 'nose tackle') who would get so nervous in the early stages of games that he would throw up as he took his position on the defensive line. However, he took to using this to his advantage by actually vomiting *on the ball and the hand of the Centre who was holding it* before the snap, thus making it slippery, smelly and generally unpleasant! I can't recall his name off the top of my head, though. Perhaps some of our transAtlantic correspondents could help me out?

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
                                                  Nick Drake
                                                  Total stage terror with Nick, sadly, to the point of being a career ender.

Which prompts the question: how many of the above quit public performance completely due to the condition?

Comment

Working...
                                                  X