No announcement yet.

MLB 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New GM likely to be Houston's assistant GM, Mike Elias.

Comment

I only have two sports hats: a Dodgers hat that my sister in law gave me for Christmas and a White Sox hat I bought in the airport when I realized I forgot to pack a hat when I was traveling to Mexico City in the summer (too sunny for my ghostly complexion). I wear the Dodgers hat when I'm in the sun a lot but that's about it.

Astros and Brewers have had a major brain drain this off-season.

Comment

That’s usually how it works.

Comment

I forgot to mention above that I have been watching the tail end of some of the MLB All Stars-Japanese All Stars games on MLB Network. My timing has been good by tuning in late because Japan has been rallying late. Of course, I'd like to see MLB do better but the reason I have been please has to do with the type of baseball the Japanese are playing: I feel like I'm watching the Cardinals of the 80s (stealing bases, going the other way, first to third, ball in play). It's some exciting baseball.

Comment

Having five of the six games played on turf is advantageous for their style of play.

The infield in Nagoya looks especially quick.

Comment

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
              Worcester “won” the corporate welfare auction
              How is Worcester pronounced?

Comment

The way you do, but with a New England accent.

Comment

The discussion during the MVP awards about whether DeGrom should be considered for MVP and by extension is a pitcher should win the award had me thinking about the best players. Joel Sherman asked on MLB Now how many players the other panelists would take in a mock draft before they got to a pitcher. The mock draft would just be for one year (no need to worry about the future). By extension the question brought me back to my post above about paying Harper and Machado sick money. So, here would be my draft in order and to fill out a starting team:

Trout CF
                  Lindor SS
                  Betts RF
                  Bregman 3B
                  Yelich LF
                  Altuve 2B
                  Freeman 1B
                  DeGrom P

Now, I have to add that if I was just choosing 9 players, I think Arenado would be a better choice than Freeman, Judge might be a better choice than Freeman and I would probably put DeGrom ahead of Freeman. So first base has some depth (Freeman, Votto, Carpenter, and Rizzo all stand out) but in general, none of these guys would rank higher for me than others. If I just did a top 25, Machado at third base would appear for me, but I can't say that Harper in RF (and certainly not in CF) would appear for me. And I certainly would get to multiple pitchers in my top 25 (Scherzer, Beuhler, Verlander, Sale, and maybe Snell--although one good season might have me worried about being dominant again).

UA noted above that last years on a deal are never worth the money, but I am also struggling to think about the deal being good past year 5. Puljols and Cano are the two recent examples. The Angels probably regretted that deal by year 3 and Cano's deal was probably regrettable by 2017. Grenke has pitched well, but Diamondbacks are paying for a buy who is certainly not worth the cash and probably not a top 10 pitcher if you were doing a one year draft right now. Anyway, I've combined two points into this one post, but in general I would agree that a pitcher might not be a go-to choice in a normal draft and thus needs to really stand out to win an MVP. And I would never sign a big free agent to a long contract if I was a GM. Five years max for me.

Comment

Should anyone here be interested

https://twitter.com/mlblondonseries/status/1064504026107166722?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1064504026107166722&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.mlb.com%2F

Comment

Are they playing at Lords?

Comment

Olympic Stadium

Comment

Shame the Baseball Ground is no more.

Comment

These are technically whose home games? Aren't they a bit pissed off (the fans I mean)? These are some of the biggest games of the regular season and they're thousands of miles away

Comment

They still play each other a lot and the clubs will make enough money off it to make it worthwhile. The people who suffer are the people who work at the stadiums and in the bars and restaurants in the neighborhood.

Comment

Oh, I'm quite sure the clubs are all for it. And I know there are a lot of games, so I would have imagined the Yankees "at home" to, say, the Twins, in London wouldn't really have troubled the fans that much. But the Red Sox is practically their biggest game of the season, no?

Comment

And those who attend might get to see James Paxton pitch. Acquired from the Mariners on Monday night.
                                  https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/...es-paxton.html

Comment

It is one home game for each team, and given that they play each other 19 teams a season (not including possible playoffs), the impact on fans is nothing like it would be in football or gridiron.

Comment

Despite being the Boston Red Sox's number one fan (move over, Matt Damon!) I shall not be attending. This is because:

1. Two of my mates go to NFL games in London and I've been ripping the piss out of them for it for years, to do the same would make me look foolish and ruin any future bullying opportunities.

2. The Olympic Stadium is a terrible place to watch football, I can't imagine how bad it will be for baseball

3. I can't really be bothered

4. I am filming a buddy movie with my long time friend Ben Affleck that summer

Comment

I'm going, but then I would wouldn't I?

The OS will be a far better baseball stadium than it is a football one (even though I believe it doesn't meet the dimensions required by MLB).
                                        Last edited by Ray de Galles; 20-11-2018, 14:26.

Comment

I’ve pre-registered for the early ticket sale but not sure I’ll definitely buy them. I love baseball, but I’m no fan of either team and I think it’ll feel a bit gimmicky, like a pre season friendly rather than a proper game in a proper stadium.

Comment

Do things like this sell out?

Comment

I reckon this one will.

Comment

If either team hs built a meaningful lead in the first two months of the season, the games will definitely be competitive.

Comment

I'm not going. I did watch the Yankees play the Red Sox once, but it was at Fenway, and it was probably the only time I'd ever get to go to Fenway. I'm not going to do so in the Olympic stadium. If the Cubs were playing, I'd be there in a heartbeat. I'm just not much of a neutral fan, in any sport. I've stopped going to the NFL games as well, now that the novelty has worn off, though I might change my stance if a) the NFL cleans up its act enough for me to drop my general boycott, and b) the Bears are playing.

Comment

I'm going, unless there's a rigged ticketmaster offer and all the affordable seats are gone like what happened with the NBA. I suspect that will be less likely between the capacity and the relative unpopularity of MLB to the NBA.

The stadium layout is a bit shit, although you can probably blame the shitdick organisers of London 2012 for their shite design as much as anything. There's only one row of corporate boxes along one touchline, plus the boxes they'll need for the press and broadcasters, so it was either punt that (fat chance) or come up with this shit layout.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X