No announcement yet.

MLB 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Levin, what you suggest is the traditional method for dealing with “short boundaries”, as best exemplified by Philadelphia’s old Baker Bowl, which featured a 60 foot high wall beginning at the right field foul pole only 281 feet from home plate.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
      I’m going to opening day at the Trop to see Rays vs Red Sox. The Rays are going for a complete rebuild but Archer will start so they might win that one, at least.
      We saw a Rays game three weeks ago against the Twins. It was Archer souvenir pillow day and the bum didn't even play that day.

Comment

That wall is monstrous. Can you be caught out if the ball bounces off a wall? Or does it count as touching the ground?

Comment

No, since the 19th century (when the rule that one was also out if a hit ball was caught after a single bound), the ball must be caught on the fly (or having only contacted another player).

Tropicana Field in St Petersburg (where Reed is going) is a dome, and about once a season a hit ball hits a rafter or catwalk. Those are automatic doubles (such “ground rules” are formally set and approved by the league, and discussed by the umpires with the visiting manager before the first game of every series).

The Reds have given us our first postponement of the season already.

Comment

Pretty pictures of baseball food from the Guardian.

Yum, indeed. (Sorry, that was sarcasm. Fuck Aramark.)
            Last edited by Gerontophile; 28-03-2018, 21:53.

Comment

Food at Petco is remarkably good (although you can still get soggy nachos if you want) and the beer selection is very good although not at all good value. This year the excellent Carnitas Snack Shack has opened an outlet there. And if you're buying from them, you really should have the Triple Threat sandwich, which is carnitas, schnitzel and bacon, with peperoncini relish, and aioli.

Frankly, if you're a Padres fan, you probably ought to just focus on the beer and food this year, and the fact that you're watching baseball in lovely conditions - mid 70s and sunny for tomorrow's kick-off. It makes the expected defeat easier to handle...

Comment

Nats@Reds tomorrow already postponed for rain.

Comment

Dodger Stadium had the shits on Tuesday night.

Comment

Missed the London game news while I was abroad. Not sure I want to see Yankees/Red Sox, at least if it's not at Fenway, but would be delighted to watch the Cubs play, or to watch someone else beat the Cardinals.

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Yellow View Post
                      Missed the London game news while I was abroad. Not sure I want to see Yankees/Red Sox, at least if it's not at Fenway, but would be delighted to watch the Cubs play, or to watch someone else beat the Cardinals.
                      MLB have been pretty open that they want a marquee matchup between two East Coast (ie less travel nightmares) teams to kick off the London experience.

Comment

Sure. I'm just saying I'd go in future seasons if it were teams I'm interested in. I did the NFL in London thing for both a Bears game and a neutral game and frankly I'd have been better off watching the neutral game on TV at home.

Comment

Well, that's a promising start to the season. At this rate, I calculate we should have approximately 150,000 home runs this year.

Comment

https://twitter.com/thorn_john/status/979373648619417600?s=21

Comment

3 and a half hours 'til the season starts. It's a beautiful, sunny, warm day here in San Diego. It reminds me, oddly, of the rare times when weather on the first day of cricket season turned out to be nice, back in the mid 80s. I'd wander down to the University Parks some time in mid-April to watch the university team get spanked by whichever county came along. But it didn't matter, because cricket was back.

Comment

Woo!

Comment

Three HBP in an inning is unconventional

Comment

Also really early in the season for "fans" to be wearing paper bags over their heads

Comment

Syndergaard looks really good. 99 mph on the black with movement. You can't hit that.

Comment

Yes, you can, but you might have retired and called yourself "Jim Thome".

Comment

So, the least unlikely thing ever, has just happened: Kyle Schwarber annihilates one out of the stadium.

Comment

By no means a masterpiece, but 162-0 is still on.

It is going to be a very long season in Miami

Comment

This is fun

https://twitter.com/darenw/status/979447004639252480

Comment

Petco's looking glorious, full to the rafters for the only time this year. But I've had to keep the sound off and keep looking away through the god-america-soldiers stuff that seems to be over the top, even by San Diego sports standards.

Comment

Shocking run of pitches in the top of the third right now, but somehow the Padres have only given up one run so far. Bases are loaded, mind you.

Comment

Hoping against hope that jefe isn't watching his Orioles

Comment

Working...
                                                    X