Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hell of a catch by EIM

Comment

Brewers are now using their second of three closers with Jeffers coming in. I get that Counsell has to play for today but he's moving fast. This is the very thing that caused the Dodgers problems in 2017 WS. And I like this move because the Dodgers have hit him so far.

Comment

Yesssssssss

Comment

Final Brewer closer coming in. Counsell was in a really tough spot, but I don't think he's managed this game well. Too quick to get to pen.

Comment

I picked this series at the beginning of the year but then went off course once the Astros were looking so good. I've learned that I am better at picking an ill-informed/informed context than thinking I actually know something based on what is happening in the moment. And this is why I don't bet on anything.

Red Sox are rolling. I'm hoping the rest cools those bats.

Comment

Was at the UCLA game tonight. There was a huge cheer when CT caught that ball. Dodgers probably don’t win without that.

And the complete silence in the crowd after Puig’s home run was one of those amazing crowd reactions.

Comment

The Reds hired David Bell as their next manager. I saw his dad Buddy Bell play for the Reds in the 80s and my dad saw his grandfather Gus Bell play for the Reds in the 50s.

Comment

Bell and Ausmus officially announced, Marlins sign two Cuban brothers, and there are still a few managerial vacancies.

I assume MLB is elated about this final. First time in a while that two major market teams are playing for the championship.

Comment

Yeah, I can't imagine that they would have preferred a Milwaukee-Houston matchup.

Comment

I guess this is me cheering for the Dodgers. How strange does that feel?

Comment

No one is forcing you to take sides

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                          I guess this is me cheering for the Dodgers. How strange does that feel?
                          This is me, only replace the word Dodgers with the words Red Sox

Obv what ua says is true, but if i follow a sporting event I need a little bit of competitive interest (especially in a sport in which I struggle to be able to observe great athletic prowess - I know, intellectually, that a great pitching performance is something to wonder over, but it is still a bloke throwing a ball repeatedly to my eyes. Unlike bowling, for example, for which familiarity has bred appreciation)

Comment

Originally posted by danielmak View Post
                            I assume MLB is elated about this final. First time in a while that two major market teams are playing for the championship.
                            Not so much when the Red Sox drill em in 5.

Comment

Like ad hoc, I need to take sides if I'm watching sport. And it's easy enough to oppose both Boston sports, and anyone in a league that has designated hitters.

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
                                Yeah, I can't imagine that they would have preferred a Milwaukee-Houston matchup.
                                I was rooting for Colorado - Oakland. Screw your "big markets."

I doubt I'll watch much of it, but I guess I'd prefer the Dodgers to win, just because they haven't won it in a while. But I also root for Brock Holt.

I also don't really care. I'm increasingly frustrated with how baseball works - give some owners exclusive rights to massive markets and let them claim their dominance is just the fair outcome of the "free market," public money for stadiums, no salary cap, and yet some very valuable teams are run by incompetents and there's nothing to stop them. The players union negotiates almost exclusively for the benefit of their richest veteran members while Dominican teenagers are exploited, minor leaguers can't afford to eat, and younger stars are underpaid - but if they weren't, the smaller market teams couldn't compete at all.

Minor league baseball is built around stupid gimmicks and just serving the big league team 1,000s of miles away. College baseball is, at least where I live, hard to watch. High school baseball is, well, high school.

Maybe I'd start to love the game more if I was trying to watch it in Europe, Australia, or even Canada where its more niche and the people playing are struggling just to play.

Pitching and bowling are very similar, I'd think. The biggest difference is that there's only one pitcher at a time and they can only come in and out of the game once. Otherwise, pitchers and bowlers are both trying to force the batter to make a decision as soon as possible (measured in 1000ths of a second, of course) and to keep them guessing.

Anyone can appreciate baseball way more by having some experience from the batter's perspective. You wouldn't even have to try to hit a real pitcher - just try Wiffle ball or try playing MLB The Show on Playstation. You'll get an appreciation of how one pitch sets up a subconcious (or sometimes conscious) expectation for the next pitch, why even major leaguers get fooled by high fastballs, and why a curve ball is so hard to hit. I suspect it's the same in cricket.
                                Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 23-10-2018, 15:56.

Comment

Mookie Betts will play second base and pitch and the Red Sox will still win in five.

Comment

I'm taking Dodgers because fuck Dustin Pedroia.

Comment

Props to Fenway for playing Fugazi’s “Waiting Room” during umpire reviews.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                        Props to Fenway for playing Fugazi’s “Waiting Room” during umpire reviews.
                                        Their organist is Josh Kantor, who plays a lot of more obscure indie/alt rock and is entertaining on Twitter.

The less I think about this game itself, the better.

Comment

And just then, Matt Kemp homers.

Comment

I was just logging in to post the very point that John Smoltz made as I was logging in: Machado is much better tonight than he has been in the playoffs. He's taking what's there rather than swinging for the fences every time.

Is the Red Sox organist the one that played a song that was basically calling Daniel Murphy out for his homophobic comments or was that the Braves' organist?

Comment

It was in Atlanta that he was greeted with Born this Way

Comment

https://twitter.com/ericstephen/stat...23487884730368

https://twitter.com/ericstephen/status/1054923487884730368

Comment

Fucking Dave Roberts overmanaging the situation again. Stick with Baez!

Comment

Kershaw wasn't great tonight but he was also screwed by defense. The defense was horrible tonight. The dropped balls were the most apparent but poor choices about where a ball was thrown or slow to make a double-play. And Barnes made a number of bad throws as well.

I've posted this before in the past week+: I don't see errors as excuses for pitchers giving up runs but I also think a team like the Red Sox can't be given extra outs. Had Freese caught the popup or Puig thrown to the right base or Barnes made a good throw to second or Roberts not wasted a challenge on a play that was never going to be overturned, Kershaw would have been in better shape.

BTW the interesting stat of the night for me is that the team with the least time off has won the last six (if I remember correctly) World Series. So I'm hoping that the Dodgers continue that trend. The other stat has been the team that scores first in this year's playoffs has won a huge percentage of the games. So the Dodgers need to get going right away.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X