MLB 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Greenlander View Post

The issue that equal parts infuriates and I've grown to love about baseball is the length of the season and the sheer number of games though. Apart from couple of teams at either end everyone else seems to graviate around .500. SB sort of sums it up when he says that even in the majors the result doesn;t always matter. It sometimes seems like today's not important we can make it right tomorrow or even next week or we can bomb and get the first draft picks. On the other side though every day is a fresh start, both teams start afresh and a heavy thrashing one day doesn't mean it'll happen the next. I kinda like that.
    But as we’ve seen, many pennant or wild card races come down to a single game. So they do all matter.

It was David Habelstram or another of those great old writers who pointed out that a great thing about baseball is that because the teams play almost every day, their lives are more like the lives of most working Americans.

For most of us, it’s day in and day out, and we learn to keep an even keel. This kind of slow grind is, I think, a lot harder, at least mentally, then just getting ready for 16-20 big moments a year. In some ways it’s more difficult physically. People think baseball isn’t physically taxing, but over the course of a week of it, there are lots of opportunities to get injured and create chronic pains.

Also, it’s a season long story that unfolds in daily, rather than weekly, installments. That was especially true in the days when it was all on the radio and newspapers.

Now that the sports media is saturated 24/7, we get coverage of the NFL and NBA, etc, 24/7/365, so those sometimes feel like daily dramas too. But usually they aren’t. With baseball, a much higher percentage of that “content” is about the actual games, rather than pointless speculation, rumors, gambling tips, mindless drivel.

The NBA, for example, really has only two exciting times - the last few rounds of the playoffs and the period right now of the draft and the free-agency silly season. Once who-will-play-for-whom is decided, most of the outcome of the season is very predictable.

I hope baseball doesn’t end up like that.

Comment

I've only just realised it's Bote and not Bodie. Stupid flapped Ts.

Comment

Javy steals home again
        Last edited by ursus arctos; 04-07-2018, 19:58.

Comment

When the Cubs do the little things very well, they are exceptionally likable.

Comment

For fuck's sake Chatwood.

Comment

I was not expecting that.

Comment

Baez allows the go ahead run to score by running his way out of what would have been a double play

Comment

Get in.

Comment

Go Javy.

Comment

So much for getting an early night.

Comment

Oh my God if we win because of that bobble I'm going to piss myself laughing.

Comment

Bwahahahaha. Way to gift us the game, Cincinnati,

Comment

I started watching this game just after the Padres scored to tie it up at the top of the 6th. We're now into the 14th with no more score, and I've basically watched an entire game without a run.

Comment

And the 15th. Going 10 whole innings without conceding a run is pretty good for a team who managed to ship 20 runs yesterday.

Comment

Top of the 16th and Wil Myers hits a solo HR. Can the Padres make it 12 innings without conceding?

Comment

Man, that was a squeaker. And Javy steals home again. From first.

Comment

Never change, San Diego.

Comment

You're welcome, Cubs fans. This is what we do. This is who we are.

Comment

The Pirates' sweep of five from Milwaukee has helped made this a great lead into the break.

Comment

The Dodgers land Manny Machado on a rental in exchange for prospects, though not all of their best ones. That'll do.

Color footage of Ted Williams' last game has been released. It's an interesting story, amazing how MLB and the Red Sox seemed to have no interest in seeing it. Though not as amazing as how few people were there in the crowd to see their greatest ever player's last game.

Comment

Cubs have had three position players pitching in their game against the Cardinals, which is a record. Not a game for all of the Cubs fans on here.

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
                                              The Dodgers land Manny Machado on a rental in exchange for prospects, though not all of their best ones. That'll do.

Color footage of Ted Williams' last game has been released. It's an interesting story, amazing how MLB and the Red Sox seemed to have no interest in seeing it. Though not as amazing as how few people were there in the crowd to see their greatest ever player's last game.

The article implies that most old films of that age are unusable. Perhaps because they hadn’t seen it, they just assumed that the quality was really deteriorated.

The last game of the season for a team not going to the postseason is kinda sad. Especially in Boston. Maybe that’s why it wasn’t sold out.

As Bart Giamatti, a Red Sox fan famously wrote about the end of the season.

It breaks your heart. It is designed to break your heart. The game begins in the spring, when everything else begins again, and it blossoms in the summer, filling the afternoons and evenings, and then as soon as the chill rains come, it stops and leaves you to face the fall alone. You count on it, rely on it to buffer the passage of time, to keep the memory of sunshine and high skies alive, and then just when the days are all twilight, when you need it most, it stops. Today, October 2, a Sunday of rain and broken branches and leaf-clogged drains and slick streets, it stopped, and summer was gone.

Also, Ted Williams was kind of a dick.
                                              Last edited by Hot Pepsi; 21-07-2018, 01:10.

Comment

Tyler Clippard, as seemingly inept as any closing pitcher we've had, has just thrown away a 7-4 lead in the top of the 9th. Tied up just starting the bottom.

Comment

You don't remember Joey McLaughlin huh?

Whenever the game was on the line, send Joey to the mound and you could lay money he'd lose it for you (usually against Detroit, which only made it worse.) He always looked so miserable too, even before giving up the winning run. Afterwards characters in a Renaissance Pieta looked positively ebullient in comparison,

Comment

Looks like the entire MLB.TV lineup is available gratis today.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X