Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
    Oh wow, that's fantastic.

I remember seeing Fred carrying the coracle out to retrieve a ball. This was late 80s.

I think the coracle is in the national football museum now.

Comment

Does anyone have experience with vegan Doc Martens? I'm thinking about getting some. The last pair of docs I had, not made in England, never fit and wouldn't stretch so I'm wary.

Comment

I've got some that have sort of canvas uppers. Don't know if the soles are vegan. (The non-leatherness wasn't the important bit to me. The camo print was.)
        They're pretty comfortable - lighter than normal DMs and the canvas moulds without rubbing.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisJ View Post
          Slight correction - he couldn't watch from his coracle, but essentially correct. Not to be confused with Fred Davies our promotion-winning manager of the early'90s.
          ...nor indeed the parrot-faced comic from a couple of decades before.

But thanks - I mean, I wasn't sure how that would've been possible, but didn't want to mess with folklore.

Tried that vegan footwear once. Tasted disgusting. My name's Jah Womble, goodnight. (Do the song, etc.)

Comment

They don’t feel pain, etc.

I also don’t really understand Hegel or idealism in general. I can kinda fake it but I don’t get it. Realism makes a little more sense, but relationalism and pragmatism were the only epistemologies that ever really made sense for me.

Comment

And what’s the deal with the Eurovision Song Contest? Who sponsors it? Who decides which songs will represent each country? Why hasn’t it become the Worldvision Song Contest?

Comment

I think it is organised (or was anyway) by some kind of pan-European broadcaster body. Each country decides their own songs in whatever way they like. Sometimes a public vote, sometimes a jury, sometimes, who knows? Australia are in it now (and iIsrael have been for years) so it is slowly getting more and more worldish/

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                  I think it is organised (or was anyway) by some kind of pan-European broadcaster body. Each country decides their own songs in whatever way they like. Sometimes a public vote, sometimes a jury, sometimes, who knows? Australia are in it now (and iIsrael have been for years) so it is slowly getting more and more worldish/
                  Yes, it is. Eurovision, I believe it's called.

Comment

Yep.
                    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurovision_(network)

Comment

They're also behind the events this year where several different sports' European confederations are going to host their European championships together.
                      https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euro...i-sport_event)

Comment

Morocco entered in 1980 and Lebanon pulled out at the last minute a couple of years ago because of anti-Israeli laws. They had a song and everything.

Basically you have to have a broadcaster who is a fully paid up member of the European Broadcasting Union and they get to run it for that country. Australia again is an outlier as they are only an associate member but had been for 30 years.

Comment

Eurovision and the EBU are great things really, but Eurovision is a figure of fun in the UK because people only associate it with the Song Contest (older viewers may extend the association to Jeux Sans Frontieres).

Comment

Eurovision are also involved with the Neujahrskonzert der Wiener Philharmoniker. I think ORF do the show but Eurovison broadcast outside Austria.

Comment

How is it judged?

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                How is it judged?
                                Each country has a panel of judges appointed by the broadcaster. They award points to their preferred 12 or so songs. Then there is a pause and the results of a Europe-wide public phone/internet vote are added in, and it gets a bit chaotic.

It used to be all done by judging panels (or juries, as they like to call them) til premium rate phone lines became a thing. They still haven't really found the right balance.

Assuming you mean the Song Contest btw, and not the Vienna New Year concert.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                                  Eurovision and the EBU are great things really, but Eurovision is a figure of fun in the UK because people only associate it with the Song Contest (older viewers may extend the association to Jeux Sans Frontieres).
                                  Another of my unwritten best-sellers: Eurocrush: when the continent was fresh and fun, available in no good bookshops. There was a period, coinciding with wider (and colour) TV ownership, and Britain's entry to the EEC, roughly from Celtic in 1967 to (sadly) Heysel in 1985, when all kinds of Euro-contests were lapped up by UK audiences, sporting and/or silly. Even things like athletics and show jumping seemed to matter more (i.e. the BBC had the rights, and it was geographically accessible, whereas the Ashes etc required satellites and cash).

You could probably develop the theme to include package tours to the continent, before gap years and globetrotting. Plus of course there was less of it: thanks to the Iron Curtain you could fit "Europe" into JSF and have a comfortable set of stereotypes that didn't require you to know your Slovenes from Slovaks.

Foreword by washed-up actor from Allo, Allo.

Comment

I watched the Vienna New Year concert for the first time the year before last and was surprised when the Eurovision music piped up at the start. It was quite enjoyable in a kitschy way; the overall presentation makes Andre Rieu look like Public Enemy.

Comment

I loved Jeux sans frontieres. We moved to Cupar on return from Singapore in 1970 and drove to an auction in a barn in auchtermuchty to buy a b/w telly.
                                      I remember the moment when my dad got it tuned in to a reasonable picture and it was JSF live from somewhere exotic, crackly commentary and all

Comment

That was the one programme - well, It's a Knockout - that my old man actively censured, on the grounds that it was 'television for pinheads'.

The best opportunity for catching IAK at our place was when the folks were out of town: I can remember watching an edition in which the babysitter's son was making an appearance on the show. My sister and I didn't really like her that much, so we deliberately but surreptitiously supported the other team. That showed her.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                                          Another of my unwritten best-sellers: Eurocrush: when the continent was fresh and fun, available in no good bookshops. There was a period, coinciding with wider (and colour) TV ownership, and Britain's entry to the EEC, roughly from Celtic in 1967 to (sadly) Heysel in 1985, when all kinds of Euro-contests were lapped up by UK audiences, sporting and/or silly. Even things like athletics and show jumping seemed to matter more (i.e. the BBC had the rights, and it was geographically accessible, whereas the Ashes etc required satellites and cash).

You could probably develop the theme to include package tours to the continent, before gap years and globetrotting. Plus of course there was less of it: thanks to the Iron Curtain you could fit "Europe" into JSF and have a comfortable set of stereotypes that didn't require you to know your Slovenes from Slovaks.

Foreword by washed-up actor from Allo, Allo.
                                          I'd buy that, if you want to count it as an advance order...

I was alluding to this in my praise of the EBU - I don't have any detailed knowledge to back this up but I'm guessing that a lot of international sport was made available very economically via the EBU which made it a very cheap and popular way to pad out the schedules for the BBC in particular.

We've covered this ground before in Sport but athletics was a huge deal in the UK in the 70s and 80s, and not purely cos of the big stars we had at the time. Connecting this back to the matter in hand, the European (or was it Europa) Cup, a Davis Cup style structured team event, was quite a big deal. For some reason I remember it getting a lot of press coverage, like main back page story on a Monday level. The European Championships were a much bigger event than they are now. Now athletics gets its time in the sun during the Olympics and (time zone permitting) World Championships but I'd guess the ratings for the Diamond League events are much lower than in the days of BBC1 (and sometimes ITV) showing the Bislett / Weltklasse / Ivo van Damme / Coca Cola etc on prime time Friday and Saturday nights.

Common theme I know, but football really has steam-rollered the sporting landscape in this country.

Comment

How does a pool table know I’ve potted the White which goes down to the little hollow at the end of the table, rather than a colour which goes to the ramp on its side?

Comment

It's a different size to all the other balls.

Comment

Why does the NFL only play until January? Why doesn't it have a similar season length to Basketball (though checking now that runs until the middle of June) or I guess football and rugby used to have.

Comment

The players wouldn’t survive. The average careernis already less than four seasons.

There’s also weather, though that was more of an issue earlier in the league’s history, when it was concentrated in northern cities and didn’t have any domes. A snow game or two in Green Bay or Minnesota was manageable, but four months of them just wouldn’t work. There’s been more snow in the Twin Cities since Easter than there was before Christmas.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                                    I watched the Vienna New Year concert for the first time the year before last and was surprised when the Eurovision music piped up at the start. It was quite enjoyable in a kitschy way; the overall presentation makes Andre Rieu look like Public Enemy.
                                                    I fucking love Strauss, Eight distinct super catchy melodies in each waltz And If you give me the opening couple of notes I can immediately conjure up the rest in my head and I think that's true to a large degree for a lot of people.

But the Fucking audience gives me the fucking hives. That whole concert gives me the itch. I am stunned that a society with this as a cultural centre piece, is full of fucking 21st century nazis.

Andre Rieu audiences are a great place to spot a 1-5%er baby boomer.
                                                    Last edited by The Awesome Berbaslug!!!; 06-04-2018, 11:57.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X