Music Revisionism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by G-Man View Post
    I remember well the moment I heard it for the first time. In my sister's living room in Germany, listening to the radio. A new Stevie song? How very exciting. And then that, from the man who only two years earlier had made "Do I Do". This nursery rhyme melody with -- yes, as Benjm right says -- the lazy "pre-sets on a new keyboard" production, was instantly risible. It was he betrayal of a legacy and an artistic bankruptcy declaration. So, yeah, my dislike of it relates to the reputation of the artist. But I can think of no arrangement and interpretation outside the genre of trash metal which might make this wretched thing sound like a good song.
    I bet Isaac Hayes could have made it sound astonishing, had anyone suggested the idea to him.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
      Falling short in the 'very good' stakes, US band Mr Big - not content with having half-inched their band moniker from a seventies UK act - then called one of their live albums Raw Like Sushi, something like nine months after Neneh Cherry had used the title for her high-profile debut record. (Which, rather annoyingly, has reminded me of Buffalo Stance yet again...)
      Talking to colleagues about my podcast in the office today, my girlfriend (or rather, one of her colleagues who went to look it up on iTunes) discovered that some bunch of cunts did a short-lived podcast during the 2014 World Cup called The Hand Of Pod. Nine episodes of it. Since this discovery is but a few hours old for me, you'll understand if I opine that there's a special circle of Hell for people like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
        I bet Isaac Hayes could have made it sound astonishing, had anyone suggested the idea to him.
        Oh yes, he could have turned "I Just Called..." into a sloooowed-down 18-minute work-out of utter heart-wrench. He just called to say he loves her and tell her how much he cared, but she won't pick up the phone. It breaks his heart because it's hard when a man loves a woman and she won't take his phone calls, even after the 27th time he called that morning.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean of the Shed View Post
          Fuck SAW, they deserve no praise whatsoever for anything they did. Their minimal effort production line shit did for music what Brexit is doing for Britain. Even if there is the odd golden nugget amongst the vast quantity of effluence being churned out, the overall picture is that it led to a downturn in quality and originality and sees us where we are today with the new talent being discovered on bullshit lowest common denominator TV karaoke competitions churning out an album full of bland by the numbers tweenie pop before they disappear up the arse of next year's vote winning mediocre cabaret act.
          The backlash though was Madchester and Britpop so an unintended great legacy that didn't make SAW any money. Win-win.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
            Talking to colleagues about my podcast in the office today, my girlfriend (or rather, one of her colleagues who went to look it up on iTunes) discovered that some bunch of cunts did a short-lived podcast during the 2014 World Cup called The Hand Of Pod. Nine episodes of it. Since this discovery is but a few hours old for me, you'll understand if I opine that there's a special circle of Hell for people like that.
            If I'm understanding your gripe here correctly, this unfortunately is a fairly common phenomenon. Certain (usually) humorous 'zeitgeist' conceits will circle the atmosphere and such phrases turn up all over the place. Example: a co-writer and I had just completed a radio script around 1992 featuring a family with an irritating kid whose catchphrases were all of the 'that's you, that is!' and 'that's your dad!'-ilk. Before the bloody thing had even gone to air, effing Baddiel and Newman started doing exactly this on their TV show. (I even saw my twenty-year-old 'Medellin kids'-gag make yet another reappearance on Facebook the other day - although to be fair to others, I suspect that that pun has been stumbled upon many times since, well, probably 1994...)

Anyways, as you were.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
              I even saw my twenty-year-old 'Medellin kids'-gag make yet another reappearance on Facebook the other day - although to be fair to others, I suspect that that pun has been stumbled upon many times since, well, probably 1994...
              Ah, so that's where Tony C got it from...

Comment

Well, like I suggest - the gag was there to be taken really...

Comment

Working...
                X