No announcement yet.

SPOTY 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If he wins the tour Thomas will romp this. He's popular in a way that Froome has never been.

Froome suffered badly from his demonstration that he could have beaten wiggo in 2012.

G has track record as gallant and unlucky loser and super loyal domestique. The story is him not sky.

Comment

It would be nice if Joshua would win it, as he's actually got a personality and is a world class athlete. His fight in September is a big fight, but it's not the big fight, which would be Deontay Wilder.

Comment

McIlroy gets some stick back home for laziness/ arrogance more than being unsure what nationality he is. This is from club golfers who suggest he won't listen to an experienced caddy and just has a mate walking round the course with him.

Comment

Nominees to be revealed on the night, presumably to avoid pesky 'minority sports' getting behind their nominees and voting them onto the podium.

Plus some other changes, e.g. Overseas Personality now 'World Sport Star' and open to non UK voters.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
            Nominees to be revealed on the night, presumably to avoid pesky 'minority sports' getting behind their nominees and voting them onto the podium.

Plus some other changes, e.g. Overseas Personality now 'World Sport Star' and open to non UK voters.
            On the contrary, I'd hope it would be to avoid a repeat of that farcical year when Ryan bloody Giggs won it.

Comment

I was already resigned to that wanker Hamilton winning it and this change in the voting only makes it more likely.

I suppose it may be Kane, which would be farcical but less annoying I suppose.
              Last edited by Ray de Galles; 02-10-2018, 10:42.

Comment

Why would anyone dislike Lewis Hamilton?

Comment

It's 'cos he's English.

Comment

Monaguesque.

Comment

Jenson Button moved to Monaco as well - as have quite a number of F1 drivers.

Comment

Well they can all happily compete for Monaco's SPOTY then.

Comment

"The recipient must either be British or reside and play a significant amount of their sport in the United Kingdom."

You don't have to be both.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                            Why would anyone dislike Lewis Hamilton?
                            I find him repellent, a completely fake vacuous concocted character who still manages to be offensive whenever he opens his mouth. He's like a Love Island contestant channeling Clarkson.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                                It's 'cos he's English.
                                Like Anthony Joshua, Laura Trott, David Weir and Greg Rutherford who I've voted for in SPOTY over the last few years
                                Last edited by Ray de Galles; 02-10-2018, 11:15.

Comment

Ah yes, also Hamilton seems like the kind of character who would use and inspire tedious gifs instead of actual discussion, another point against him.
                                  Last edited by Ray de Galles; 02-10-2018, 11:18.

Comment

Ha, touché. But I really don't get the offence. What did he say that upset you? From where I'm sitting he's just someone who likes winning races.

Comment

Actually, d'you know, I've just been on his Instagram page and it turns out you're right. He's insufferable to listen to. Since my only exposure to him is watching the races, I'd never really noticed this tbh.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BoYr2s8B...=lewishamilton

But the thing that bugged me is that a lot of what usually gets thrown at Hamilton are things that apply to a lot of other sports stars, and he seems unusually singled out.
                                      Last edited by Kevin S; 02-10-2018, 11:32.

Comment

As a sports fan I don't follow F1 so I know little about him on and around the track, though I've picked up that he seems to completely disrespect all his competitors and team mates.

I can't recall every wanky quote but it's always stuff like asking "What?! How do you pick up chicks?!" to a fellow chat show guest who said he didn't drive and getting on his high horse about keeping grid girls. He's trying far too hard, I feel.

While he is far from the only tax-dodging sports star (Geraint Thomas lives in Monaco too, after all) the disconnect between his particular brand of Union Jack waving for his Daily Mail/Top Gear target audience and his unwillingness to contribute to the country really jars. He comes across as Gary Barlow with a multi-million pound penis substitute car.
                                        Last edited by Ray de Galles; 02-10-2018, 14:52.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                                          Actually, d'you know, I've just been on his Instagram page and it turns out you're right.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BoYr2s8B...=lewishamilton
                                          Yeah, I did some sick in my mouth with that. Use of the word "blessed" should carry a mandatory jail sentence too.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                            As a sports fan I don't follow F1 so I know little about him on and around the track, though I've picked up that he seems to completely disrespect all his competitors and team mates.
                                            How so?

Comment

The latter is most likely the Rosberg rivalry in 2016, but I think that was a two-way street.

Comment

Hamilton just doesn't seem like a terribly nice guy. That gender-shaming of his nephew in a video was not great, and although he did apologise, it's unsettling that he chose to share the video in the first place. There was also that time he was messing around with Snapchat filters or similar in a news conference, and he didn't seem to think that ignoring journalists was a big deal. He just doesn't seem to conduct himself as a particular inspiring guy.

Thomas would be a nice one, wouldn't it, the victory obviously met the world to him.

Comment

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
                                                  Hamilton just doesn't seem like a terribly nice guy. That gender-shaming of his nephew in a video was not great, and although he did apologise, it's unsettling that he chose to share the video in the first place.
                                                  Bloody hell, I probably should've paid more attention to what he is like away from the track then. If he said anything like that around my kids I'd knock his block off. OK, I've now got him marked as "weapons-grade wanker".

My daughter prefers Valtteri Bottas, I'm sure he'd be pleased to know.
                                                  Last edited by Kevin S; 03-10-2018, 12:32.

Comment

Perhaps unfairly, I've had him down as a weapons grade wanker, rather than just the usual entitled-rich-bloke-in-F1 style wanker, since that Diana poem.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X