SPOTY 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SPOTY 2018

Well, Lizzie Yarnold's just put the first marker down. Obviously England's footballers could steal the show by winning the World Cup...

Notwithstanding the footballers' impending World Cup victory, England's netball team have just put a decent marker down for team of the year there, I reckon ...

Comment

Possibly, seeing as Team of the Year is in the BBC's gift rather than a public vote. If it were such, Manchester City Men would walk it. They still might win it anyway, and it wouldn't be a travesty if they did.

Comment

Rhys 'Lightning' McClenaghan early front-runner for the Ultonia award

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
          Possibly, seeing as Team of the Year is in the BBC's gift rather than a public vote. If it were such, Manchester City Men would walk it. They still might win it anyway, and it wouldn't be a travesty if they did.
          Not sure about City. The only times football teams have been given it before is when they've won the proper double or a European trophy - the last was Liverpool in 2001.

Occurred to me this morning that Tracy Neville must be a fair bet for their Coach of the Year, off the back of that netball victory. She was the only one the BBC were interested in when she was a player.

Comment

Interviewer- So Tracy, will netball go professional?

TN- Yes, we may follow the Aussies, get some male coaches in and all that

Comment

Perhaps they could make a deal with the FA to do a swap with her and her brother.

Comment

No Wimbledon win, no England World Cup win (surely they won't give this to Harry Kane, although I don't know what the criteria are for possibly allowing Southgate onto the shortlist?). I turned to a mate watching today's Alpe d'Huez stage and said 'you know what, if Geraint Thomas breaks team orders and bloody wins this ...' and wouldn't that just be a kick in the inhalers for Chris Froome.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                  No Wimbledon win, no England World Cup win (surely they won't give this to Harry Kane, although I don't know what the criteria are for possibly allowing Southgate onto the shortlist?). I turned to a mate watching today's Alpe d'Huez stage and said 'you know what, if Geraint Thomas breaks team orders and bloody wins this ...' and wouldn't that just be a kick in the inhalers for Chris Froome.
                  They already have a Manager of the Year award, don't they?

Comment

They do, but I wonder if that excludes the manager from being nominated for the "main" award.

Comment

Sky are too tainted for anyone involved with them to win this. They weren't even doing so one, two, three years ago when they maintained the perception with the general public that they were a new broom for clean sport. That is if the general public gave cycling much thought at all, which Froome not coming close to winning the award suggests they don't.

It will be nearly a clean sweep by the England Men's Football team. That will be most people's sporting highlight of the year by a considerable distance. So Kane for the main award, Southgate for coach of the year and the side for team of the year.

Comment

Current individual odds

Kane 11/10 on
                        Joshua 10/1
                        Thomas 16/1
                        Froome 20/1
                        Hamilton 20/1
                        Pickford 25/1
                        Trippier 25/1
                        Yarnold 28/1
                        Muirhead 40/1
                        Whitlock 40/1

Comment

Even after everything Sky are still fairly popular at bike races I've been to recently, although there do seem to be fewer people wearing their gear. I think it's more a case that the Tour de France doesn't make the public impression that some people (like, erm, me) think it does. Hoy, Wiggins and Cavendish have all won the award in recent years although the first two did so thanks to Olympic success which in Wiggins' case was a real add-on to his Tour win, Cavendish won the Worlds in a fairly quiet year in terms of SPOTY candidates but crucially did so thanks to his victory being on a Sunday afternoon on BBC2. Thomas's stage wins this week have been while most people are at work and the coverage on ITV4. Winning at Alpe d'Huez in particular in the yellow is probably going to be his career day and a notable achievement in the history of British cycling yet the BBC news last night went with the golf instead and it's not on the front page of any of the papers, indeed it's not even on the back pages of some of them.

If Thomas does go through and win the Tour though he'll probably do better voting wise than Froome - he'll probably actually attend the event for a start. Froome's never inspired a huge amount of affection among the public, he rides under the GB flag for convenience. His backstory is fascinating but it's not something many people can actually identify with, he didn't grow up here, he doesn't live here, he's only raced in the country for one day since July 2014. Thomas on the other hand came up through the system and was riding junior events, club time trials and stuff, he supports Welsh rugby and Arsenal, he turns up for the national championships and races here a fair bit. He'll get the significant factor of regional voting from Wales as well, for example Jess Ennis always did well in SPOTY voting because she's enormously popular round here and half Sheffield would ring up to vote for her.

Kane should win the thing by a mile though.

Comment

Gascoigne won it in 1990, but Lineker never did.

I think Kane simply has household recognition from the sheer size of the viewing audience. He seems a genuinely nice person, which often matters in SPOTY, someone the middle classes would not be offended by.

Although Kane does not seem mega famous to me, is he less famous than Michael Owen (1998), who went out in the last 16, or Ryan Giggs (2009)? And you do not have to be ghat famous to win this anyway (Rusedski, Calzaghe).

Finally, we were discussing the pre-1966 fame of Bobby Charlton the other week. He was runner-up in 1958 and 1959 so that suggests perhaps a greater fame than Rooney, at least among this demographic, as Rooney has never made the podium.

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post

Kane should win the thing by a mile though.
                              Christ, what a damning indictment of the British sporting year (or the contest itself) that would be.

You mean "should" as in deserves to or that's the likely outcome?
                              Last edited by Ray de Galles; 20-07-2018, 11:34.

Comment

If Thomas does go through and win the Tour though he'll probably do better voting wise than Froome - he'll probably actually attend the event for a start. Froome's never inspired a huge amount of affection among the public, he rides under the GB flag for convenience. His backstory is fascinating but it's not something many people can actually identify with, he didn't grow up here, he doesn't live here, he's only raced in the country for one day since July 2014. Thomas on the other hand came up through the system and was riding junior events, club time trials and stuff, he supports Welsh rugby and Arsenal, he turns up for the national championships and races here a fair bit. He'll get the significant factor of regional voting from Wales as well
                                He also has the higher profile from his multiple Olympic Golds on the track too, even though they were a while ago now 2012 especially has a special place in people's memory. You're right about the Welsh vote too, it helped push Leigh Halfpenny to second in 2013 after his Lions Man of the Tournament performance.

Thomas's stage wins this week have been while most people are at work and the coverage on ITV4. Winning at Alpe d'Huez in particular in the yellow is probably going to be his career day and a notable achievement in the history of British cycling yet the BBC news last night went with the golf instead and it's not on the front page of any of the papers, indeed it's not even on the back pages of some of them.
                                I think that's mainly because he led the sports news everywhere I saw or heard the day before when he actually first took the yellow jersey, it's just the news cycle.

All talk of Thomas's chances is wildly premature at the moment, of course.
                                Last edited by Ray de Galles; 20-07-2018, 11:38.

Comment

He supports Arsenal? Urghh. I was beginning to get excited about him

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                    Christ, what a damning indictment of the British sporting year (or the contest itself) that would be.

You mean "should" as in deserves to or that's the likely outcome?
                                    Likely outcome. England going to the World Cup semis had probably the biggest public impact of any sporting event since the London Olympics. By December it'll be cold and dark and lots of folk will look back nostalgically to the long hot summer when football didn't come home. Agree with Satchmo's comments up thread about Kane's personality - he's not unpopular with opposition fans like Dele or gets shit from the papers which bubbles over to the public like Sterling or played well if not particularly well known like Maguire or Trippier.

Comment

I think Kane's achievement in scoring five goals (including two penalties) against Tunisia & Panama and another penalty against Colombia is already being reassessed away from the fervour of England's progress, especially given his atrophying in the the latter stages of the tournament. Lord knows how people will view it by December.

You may well be right but I would say Southgate and the England team are better bets for their respective awards than Kane - the whole World Cup and England's part in it were about the collective not the individual.

Comment

Gareth Southgate's Progressive Collective, no less.

Comment

I think Kane's achievement in scoring five goals (including two penalties) against Tunisia & Panama and another penalty against Colombia is already being reassessed away from the fervour of England's progress, especially given his atrophying in the the latter stages of the tournament. Lord knows how people will view it by December.

You may well be right but I would say Southgate and the England team are better bets for their respective awards than Kane - the whole World Cup and England's part in it were about the collective not the individual.
                                          It depends who's doing the voting. I don't think they will be deep thinkers about the game or even be able to distinguish between the different phases of the tournament. They will just associate Kane with sitting in the beer garden celebrating the penalty shoot-out v Colombia. He's also the captain, like Bobby Moore was in 1966. It's about his figurehead status rather than anything he did that can be objectively measured.

They voted for Owen in 1998 despite England going out in the last 16.
                                          Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 20-07-2018, 14:50.

Comment

Kane is still likely to win it almost by default unless someone can really get a regional/whole-sport vote out (like the Thomas example). The promos will be full of his shirt-clenching goal celebrations and as suggested above there will be a short term nostalgia factor. Even though he fizzled out he is the poster boy for England getting that far - can also see Pickford, Maguire and Trippier placing well as they'll get decent club/regional voting blocks behind them.

I can't see another major contender emerging in the remainder of the year - Anthony Joshua is popular enough but is his autumn fight that much of a big deal or is it some mandatory challenger that he'll easily roll over?

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
                                              I can't see another major contender emerging in the remainder of the year - Anthony Joshua is popular enough but is his autumn fight that much of a big deal or is it some mandatory challenger that he'll easily roll over?
                                              Maddie Hinch saving England to a World Cup to add to the Euros and (British, not English) Olympics golds she has been the star contributor for?

Yeah, what am I saying, this award is about 25% achievement, 75% fame.

Comment

Let's hope Rory wins another major and single-handedly brings the Ryder Cup home - not that that would be enough even before we get in to him being seen as "Irish".

Comment

Let's hope Rory wins another major and single-handedly brings the Ryder Cup home - not that that would be enough even before we get in to him being seen as "Irish".
                                                  Quite, he won two majors in 2014 and still couldn't win SPOTY.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X