No announcement yet.

SPOTY 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I voted for Thomas in the end. Wanted Yarnold in top 3.

Comment

GET THE FUCK IN!

I voted for Thomas multiple times as did some family members but others voted for Dina which I endorse. Very glad to see the English netball team and Molinari win their awards too. Has Coach of the Year been ditched or did I manage to miss it?

Fury got a disgustingly easy ride, the BBC taking the Farage soft soap approach to him.

Comment

First time I'd seen the Billy Monger crash - that got an involuntary audible "Fucking hell!" But the lad is a total inspiration.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
          I voted for Thomas in the end. Wanted Yarnold in top 3.
          Same here. And I only voted once. I'd have also liked to see James Anderson in the top three. Dina Asher-Smith is one for the future.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
            Has Coach of the Year been ditched or did I manage to miss it?
            Gareth Southgate won it.

Comment

Ah, I think I must have missed that and the feature/interview with Kane as I (mercifully) had to get off the train home from the cycling midway through that excerable version of ‘Three Lions’ and make the short drive from the station.

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                First time I'd seen the Billy Monger crash - that got an involuntary audible "Fucking hell!" But the lad is a total inspiration.
                The BBC showed an excellent documentary on Monger the other week, it might still be on the iPlayer. When it featured the crash I reflexively looked away from the telly. Bit surprised they considered it suitable for prime time broadcast really.

(Been out so not seen SPOTY, but pleased by another cycling victory and that Fury didn't get shortlisted)

Comment

Lewis Hamilton has gone up in my estimation after it emerges he referred to his hometown Stevenage as "the slums" at a SPOTY interview. He's not wrong.

Comment

It's a massive exaggeration.

Comment

Indeed. Stevenage is many things (boring, suburban, new town, characterless, bland, filled with commuters, etc etc), but it's by no means a slum, and indeed I'd be surprised to learn that any part of Stevenage fitsthat description. Seen from Monaco, perhaps, but not in any normal use of the language. Makes Hamilton look even more snobbish and entitled to my mind.

Comment

What a horrible comment that is. Slums, ghetto, etc, these are heavy terms that you really only be using if you've experienced proper hardship.

Comment

Fourthed.

Comment

Originally posted by Rogin the Armchair fan View Post
                            Lewis Hamilton has gone up in my estimation after it emerges he referred to his hometown Stevenage as "the slums" at a SPOTY interview. He's not wrong
                            Stevenage's 'charms' were occasionally dissed by another ex-resident and prolific contributor to these pages

Comment

Working...
                            X