No announcement yet.

Arms and the man

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When you're almost seventy, it's fine. When you're 30 and just trying to hit all the Hipster Bingo squares, it's sad.

Comment

These hipster fucks must be way more full of manly testosterone these days. No way could I have grown a full beard even in my mid twenties, and most friends were the same (though, horrifically, I did have a goatee for a while). Must be their slow cooked over sweetened meat diet. And fucking “slaw”. Please let’s reinstate coleslaw. And Macroni Cheese. Mac n Cheese sounds ridiculous from posh South Dublin wanks. Stop trying to live in 50s US diner world ya sleeve tat fannies.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
        A hankie then
        Yes. Let’s call them by their proper name. Last seen in the 80s.

Comment

Last seen in my boss' pocket about fifteen minutes ago.

Comment

Originally posted by laverte View Post
            What do you folks wear to work?
            Dress shirt with the sleeves folded up to just above the elbows. Dress pants. When it's freezing I reserve the right to add a waistcoat. Also, I always have a pair of rayban aviators hanging from my shirt. No matter if it is the deep end of Winter, I will always be ready for the sun to come out.

To mix it up, I have just reintroduced Football Shirt Friday. It hasn't rubbed off on my coworkers yet, but it does mean that I have to iron one fewer dress shirt every week, so I call it a win.

How much time and effort do you spend on presentation?
            Very little.

What are the sartorial parameters (written and unwritten) in your workplaces, past or present?
            Clothing isn't entirely optional, but beyond that there are no rules.

Do they feel constrictive?
            No.

How would you dress if you could?
            I wouldn't change a thing.

Any really smart or stylish dressers you've worked with?
            When I was doing my PhD, I had a bunch of very very stylish coworkers. My office mate Marvin was always extremely elegant, and next door Portuguese neighbor Ricardo could pull off the bowtie/suspenders/moustache hipster chic look to a degree that I never could. I'm kinda jealous.

Any eccentrics who try to bend the rules? Does anyone Get It Wrong?
            By lack of rules, this is as good as impossible.

Do you think your presentation has affected the way you are perceived at work? Have you ever felt judged? Who (else) gets judged?
            I dress up a bit smarter than average, and I do think that people take me slightly more seriously because of it. Judgment seems largely absent, though.

What would it take for you to find someone else's presentation decredibilising or demeaning?
            Shorts. Unforgivable. However, when the temperature rises above 30 degrees Celsius, all rules go out of the window*, so then I'll forgive shorts (and might even wear them myself).

And do you really want gravitas from your news presenters?
            Yes.

*well, clothing still won't be entirely optional...

Comment

I tend to cover my arms these days, just as they're not quite as toned as they once were, but it's very interesting about the arms on show, and power.

For my present job, I usually wear "lagenlook" - long layered, clothes, which suit me as I'm tall and they bodyskim, and they're comfortable. I do tend to wear some stuff just for work, but I could go out straight in them if needs be. Conversely I have some "smart" Westwood, pencil skirts and whatever, but I don't feel like working in them, they're a bit sexy and I feel I should be drinking in them or draped on a chaise longue. Actually, I interviewed for this job in a tight Viv skirt and draped top with high-heeled D&G boots (with my bra showing, as the boss noted) as I had got fed up wearing my suit to interviews. Obviously it did the trick.

Comment

That alluring combination of Fuck You! / Fuck Me?

Comment

The bra showing was not intentional, I was mortified when I read it on my notes.

Comment

I remember that. Regardless of the bra, I'd imagine the 'confident' apparel made you stand out a bit from the others.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                      When you're almost seventy, it's fine. When you're 30 and just trying to hit all the Hipster Bingo squares, it's sad.
                      I have a beard because it is too damn cold running here in winter and I prefer outdoor running as much as possible over a treadmill.

As for dress codes - my current job has virtually none and results in men in their 50s wearing awful jeans which is precisely the reason why dress codes were invented. The new place is in NYC and will be somewhat sharper, but not suits. Which is pretty much my ideal.

Comment

First, I wanted to say that that is one of the finest opening salvoes for a thread I have ever seen/read here on otf.

I wear shitty T-shirts, and $5 tracksuit bottoms to work because a) I am not on display, and b) a lot of my stuff is purely physical, and I am fucked if I am going to be uncomfortable, doing it.

I have an official vest/waistcoat, when the store opens, but trust me when I say, that they only see the grimy fingernails, and the $10 shoes, which keep me in the manner to which I am accustomed. At work.

I am now going to go back and re-read what you actually meant. Oh, and Matt Lauer can go fuck himself, and if he needs a hand, I have a really large bollard outside my flat, which I will gladly Crisco the fuck out of. Or not. I have sandpaper too.

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                          Suits are classist, heteronormative, and Eurocentric. Fuck em.
                          Could you adopt me, please?

Comment

Various: I am going to assume that the reason Deanna Troi wears what she wears is because, and bear with me here, she is not human.

The Doctor is suited and booted just like Picard. Further, even in the old days of Trek, Uhura wore the same as everyone else. She just looked much better, as you would if you were Nichelle Nicholls (sic, sorry).

The Star Trek universe is many things, but sexism is not part of it.
                            Last edited by Gerontophile; 23-02-2018, 20:45.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
                              Could you adopt me, please?
                              If this happens, I'm moving to Pennsylvania just to watch. It'd be one half of the best Golden Girls rip-off ever.

Comment

Uhura wore the same as everyone else. She just looked much better, as you would if you were Nichelle Nicholls (sic, sorry).

Odd, I never noticed Bill Shatner's mini-dress.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                                  Uhura wore the same as everyone else. She just looked much better, as you would if you were Nichelle Nicholls (sic, sorry).

Odd, I never noticed Bill Shatner's mini-dress.
                                  Maybe I'm homosexual, but did Uhura ever stand up?

And, I assume you are correct, but MILO WAH WAH WAH, levels of incorrectness here. Sorry.

Comment

Working...
                                  X