Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
    If only the CRS lost their ability to thrash the "opposition"
    Ah ah, yes, except the Farmers FC, they usually lose big time against them... They never lay a finger on them but make up for it with the Students FC. Fucking nearly got clobbered by them in the Latin Quarter in November 1986 - massive student protests for a whole month all over France, universities closed down, huge demonstrations etc. (Loi Devaquet – the Chirac gvt basically wanted to turn the French university system into a US-style one, high uni fees etc.).

Thank God I managed to narrowly avoid them, it wasn't the CRS actually but the dreaded "Voltigeurs", a specially created and vicious unit who were the brainchild of horrid Home Sec Charles Pasqua (check his wiki page...) – who hated students with a vengeance –, 2 cops would ride a police motorcycle and the pillion passenger would hit students and demonstrators with a big truncheon... The bastards killed a student, Malik Oussekine, there’s a plaque to his name where it happened near Odéon.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1...alik-oussekine

Comment

Thiney a bit lucky to be credited with that; wasn't it an OG?

Comment

England look quite ragged all of a sudden.

Comment

4-1. Neville's tenure off to a great start.

Comment

Quebecois junior hockey club.

Comment

Quebecois junior hockey club.
              Nah, your voltigeurs québécois look cuddly compared to Pasqua's.

Great performance by England, look forward to their next game. The French are clearly in a transitional phase and it showed tonight, not easy to replace the likes of Élodie Thomis, Camille Abily, Sarah Bouhaddi, Louisa Necib etc.
              Last edited by Pérou Flaquettes; 01-03-2018, 23:20.

Comment

In the Cyprus Cup it's Italy 2-0 Wales at half time. Italy just bagged their second with one of those indirect free kicks in the area which you don't see a lot of these days.

Here's the free stream link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWhgiZ1SF_k

I didn't realise there was another tournament at the moment, called the Turkish Cup.

Group A: Mexico, Poland, Jordan, Latvia
                Group B: France B, Kazakhstan, Kosovo
                Group C: Ukraine, Romania, Northern Ireland

And last night in the SheBelieves Cup, the hosts beat Germany 1-0 through Seattle's Megan Rapinoe.
                Last edited by Kevin S; 02-03-2018, 11:55.

Comment

Girelli of Champions League regulars Brescia scored both of the Azzurri's first half goals. Here's one of them.

https://twitter.com/WSUasa/status/969534941943025664

Comment

Players are coming out for the second half now
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWhgiZ1SF_k

Here's the IFK goal.
                    https://twitter.com/WSUasa/status/969542010372751361

Comment

How on earth did the ball go through that melee of players!

Lewandowski scored an identical goal for Poland against Armenia (8-0) last October in the WC qualifiers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MT9j...utu.be&t=2m54s

Comment

I don't think Girelli's went through - she hit it clean above the heads of the players in the wall, didn't she?

I know it's not the done thing to make comparisons to the male game, but there's something very familiar about seeing Brescia and Italy's number 10 tucking away difficult free kicks.

Comment

Penalty to Italy.

Comment

Saved!

It was the number 9 taking it - not sure if Girelli is still on the pitch as I've only been half-watching.

Comment

Norn Iron's game against Romania in the Turkish Cup is also being streamed. They are one up:
                              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyLt9j2RdR8

(edit - though either it's half time or the feed has just gone down)

As always, the excellent @WomensSoccerUtd is the key source of scores and streams.
                              Last edited by Kevin S; 02-03-2018, 12:50.

Comment

Italy have their third with five minutes to go, so are on their way to six points from two.

Comment

In the Algarve Cup, there will be a rematch of the Euro 2017 final this evening. Looks potentially like the DBU will be streaming Denmark v Netherlands here in about four hours' time.
                                  http://www.dbutv.dk/live/21550791

Also, Romania 1 - 1 Northern Ireland at full time.

Comment

Thanks a bunch, Kev7. 20 years since I left France. I'd almost forgotten the words "Charles Pasqua".

Comment

Netherlands victorious again, winning 3-2 over the Danes thanks to a 94th min OG. Corner came in, flicked on and it smacked off the face of the Danish captain and straight back into the Danish net. Ouch! You need to scroll along to 1 hr 55 for the winning goal:

The day before, Australia's 8-game winning streak came to an end with a 0-0 draw with Portugal. Aussies should have had clear penalty, but the ref clearly didn't want to upset the hosts so gave a free kick outside the box. Scroll along to 13 mins for a quite shocking decision:

Comment

Originally posted by Logan Mountstuart View Post
                                        Thanks a bunch, Kev7. 20 years since I left France. I'd almost forgotten the words "Charles Pasqua".
                                        I apologise for reopening old wounds and causing undue distress. I'll try to never mention his name again, particularly in your on-screen vicinity.

Comment

I’d happily join anyone who would like to spit on his grave.

There are other reasons to go to Grasse.

Comment

England are taking time to adjust to the novelty of p.aying a team who can actually play football.

Comment

I’d happily join anyone who would like to spit on his grave.

There are other reasons to go to Grasse.
                                              Leave this on his grave:

(do Pandraud's grave as well while you're at it, he was his sidekick at the Interior Ministry, a vile vile man, hours after that student was beaten to death by the police, Pandraud was ranting and raving that he shouldn't have been out so late if he was the sensible student that the media painted him out to be etc. That student was not even demonstrating FFS, he was a quiet 22 year-old who happened to live on the street where he was killed - in the Latin Quarter - so he was basically getting back home when the Voltigeurs pounced on him. This is obviously the right thread for sounding off about the darkest sides of French politics, about the SAC and barbouzards but try to check Pasqua's connection with the SAC online, he helped set it up in the early 1960s - the SAC was De Gaulle's political police, a militia really, I've mentioned the SAC a few times on OFT I think, in the French 2017 Elections thread I think, and the bit I wrote about René Vignal the bank robber goalkeeper who had a stint in the SAC apparently, in particular the "Auriol massacre" in 1981 near Marseille, it was carried out by SAC henchmen, a whole family of 6 people ruthlessly killed in their home).

England-Germany atm: http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/football/42992629
                                              Last edited by Pérou Flaquettes; 04-03-2018, 20:45.

Comment

England concede an absolutely hilarious own goal.

Comment

Pure Keystone Cops stuff from England, highly comical I've got to say.

Comment

That's one of the finest own goals I've ever seen. Beautifully worked.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X