SheBelieves in Algarve & Cyprus: Spring 2018 internationals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SheBelieves in Algarve & Cyprus: Spring 2018 internationals

Here are the runners and riders in the annual international women's football tournaments.

Algarve Cup, 28 February – 7 March 2018
    Group A: Australia, China, Norway, Portugal
    Group B: Canada, S Korea, Russia, Sweden
    Group C: Denmark, Iceland, Japan, Netherlands

Cyprus Cup,
    28 February – 7 March 2018
    Group A: Finland, Italy, Switzerland, Wales
    Group B: Austria, Belgium, Czechia, Spain
    Group C: Hungary, Slovakia, Trinidad & Tobago N Korea, South Africa

SheBelieves Cup, 1 March – 7 March 2018
    Teams: USA, Germany, England, France
    Last edited by Kevin S; 02-03-2018, 11:58. Reason: DPRK were a late replacement for T&T

Wales have announced their squad for the Cyprus Cup.
    http://www.faw.cymru/en/news/wales-s...ed-cyprus-cup/

Oh god. I've just remembered Phil Neville is the England manager now. That was real, not just a bad joke, wasn't it?

Edit - and I've spelled Cyprus wrong in the title. Bugger.

Edit 2 - thanks Snake!
    Last edited by Kevin S; 16-02-2018, 15:01.

Comment

Yes, but you've sort of spelled it sour puss, so it's worth keeping.

I've got tickets for England v Wales in April, as it's just down the road, and quite a large group from work are coming, the majority of them female, and the majority will be attending their first football match. I'm glad that this horribly named tournament will get all the Phil Neville stuff out the way so they can concentrate on the football.

Comment

I like the name. It comes from a campaign which started in 2015 with the USWNT aiming to inspire and empower girls and young women, and the annual tournament is now a centrepiece of that.

Comment

That font is awful and you wouldn't get it on a men's team letter

Comment

What the fuck? that’s Beyond Comic Sans. It is a bit fucked up, reeks of patronizing like ”Lionesses” and shite (the font, not the Campaign). It’s like they are aiming for the warm, “human” look of handwriting as opposed to a cold “male” font but it just looks like shit. Like a community centre flyer. Just fucking write it out by hand and scan it if that’s the effect you want. I don’t know why this is bothering me so much. But I hate bad fonts. And that shit is just as bad as at the opposite end of the Pompous scale the hellish self-important looking font on the failed new board with the white and the spam and the twenty minute loading times. Felt like you were posting in The Atlantic comments section or something. Oh Happy days.
            Last edited by Lang Spoon; 16-02-2018, 19:43.

Comment

If I ever somehow met someone who worked for Kunena(?), I’d be giving them a piece of my mind, till they backed away, slowly, smiling politely.

Comment

Well, you know, the letter wasn't really aimed at you, so I'd withhold judgement on the typeface until I knew how it perhaps went down with 14-year old girls, for example. (And why is 'Lionesses' patronising? To whom?)

Anyway, this seems like a decent place to mention that Casey Stoney is retiring from playing football, playing against Sunderland on Wednesday for the final time before hanging up her boots.

Stoney has been a great force in English women's football this century - condemning Charlton (who closed down the team after they played in the FA Cup final), captaining the national side before Sampson became manager, becoming the first woman on the management committee at the PFA, and winning four FA Cups.

She has joined the FA to be a part of Neville's back room team, so already I'm several degrees more optimistic about how things could pan out. Stoney was, for a short while, player-manager at Chelsea and perhaps is looking at getting into management in the longer term.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                  Well, you know, the letter wasn't really aimed at you, so I'd withhold judgement on the typeface until I knew how it perhaps went down with 14-year old girls, for example.
                  Do you know, Kev? I'd be interested to see the data. Otherwise we should #letfontsbefonts and stop trying to girl things up.

Comment

The Matildas got off to a winning start in their opening Algarve Cup Group A match, scoring their winner 5 minutes into injury time to beat Norway 4-3. Sam Kerr scored again and thus set a new Matildas record by scoring for the seventh straight game.

Elsewhere in Group A, hosts Portugal beat China 2-1.

In Group B, South Korea beat Russia 3-1 and Sweden defeated Canada by the same scoreline.

Group C saw Netherlands thump Japan 6-2 with Lieke Martens scoring twice, while Denmark and Iceland finished goalless.

Next round of Group fixtures is tomorrow, 2nd March.

Comment

England v France will be on the BBC red button tonight - kickoff is 2100 I think.

Comment

This:
                        Originally posted by CY_Boaby View Post
                        Group C saw Netherlands thump Japan 6-2 with Lieke Martens scoring twice.
                        has belatedly prompted a "hang on a minute" moment. Japan, the 2011 World Cup winners and 2015 runners-up? Thumped by Netherlands. Now I know Netherlands are the new European champions, but this is quite the result.

http://www.womenssoccerunited.com/gr...p/media/18458/ - highlights here.

Comment

It was reported in a "wait, what just happened!?" fashion over here in the Netherlands as well.

Comment

Oof, that 4-0 was a bit of a half comedy half nightmare scenario.

Comment

Yes a terrible result and performance for Japan. A couple of mitigating circumstances.

1 The starting eleven was comprised of entirely Japan based players and given they have a summer season, they are effectively in pre-season.

2 The team selection was a bit odd as the coach left out the highly experienced (and non Japan based) Kumagai and Utsugi who would have surely improved the defence considerably. It must be assumed that she was using the tournament to give other players experience.

Having said that I think it re-inforces the idea that if they want to compete at an international level, Japanese players need to play abroad as they were far too lightweight in defence.

The pressure is certainly going to start mounting on coach Takakura if results continue in this vein.

Comment

England v France will be on the BBC red button tonight - kickoff is 2100 I think.
                                Could be interesting, even if it’s a friendly. The last competitive England-France in the Dutch Euros six months ago was great, the Lionesses deservedly won 1-0 and knocked France out in the quarter-finals, the first win over the French in 43 years.

Tonight’s starting line-ups should be substantially different from the Euros as several major players will be missing, on both sides (Steph Houghton, Jordan Nobbs, Karen Carney and Leah Williamson are all injured for England, and so is the formidable Wendie Renard for France, which is a great shame as she is a joy to watch; Camille Abily – 181 caps for France – has retired from international football).

Nice to see Corinne Diacre at the helm of the French women’s team (https://www.theguardian.com/football...ns-team-france), she did so well at men’s side Clermont Foot 63 (second division) for three seasons (2014-2017 – 12th, 7th and 12th – named "Best Ligue 2 Manager" by France Football in 2015) where she became the first woman to manage a men's team in one of the top two divisions in Europe’s five major professional leagues

(she succeeded Helen Costa who made history when she was appointed head coach of Clermont Foot in May 2014 and would have been the first one had she not resigned before the start of the season - apparently she never even met the players, she resigned the day before the first training session at the end of June 2014).

www.dailymotion.com/video/x6ffyrw
                                Last edited by Pérou Flaquettes; 01-03-2018, 20:47.

Comment

Strong wind for this match! Good chance for Kirby early on.

Comment

W00t!

Comment

Great goal, excellent build-up play.

Comment

I like the name. It comes from a campaign which started in 2015 with the USWNT aiming to inspire and empower girls and young women, and the annual tournament is now a centrepiece of that.

I’ve just noticed how similar the American crest is to the French anti-riot police badge (the CRS)…

Last edited by Pérou Flaquettes; 01-03-2018, 21:12.

Comment

If only the CRS lost their ability to thrash the "opposition"

Comment

Duggan's corner was nearly blown in there. The corner flag pole was almost horizontal.

Comment

Scott adds a second. Very soft goal for France to give up though.

Comment

Taylor pounces on a gloriously weighted through ball from Parris, and this could turn into a rout.

Comment

French back four at sixes and sevens once again... Superb stuff from England.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X