No announcement yet.

W or W? Weekend matchgoing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The joys of 4 or 5 hours on a bus today in the hope Tranmere vs Bromley is entertaining - both teams in decent form so hopefully so. Will be back in time to watch Groves - Eubank Jr on TV but whether I manage to stay awake to see Groves win (hopefully) is another matter...

Comment

Just setting off for Sunderland v Brentford. First ever visit to Stadium of Light.

Comment

There are several big matches in north Bucks today - Newport Pagnell Town v Wisbech Town is an important game in what’s turning out to be a particularly close race for the United Counties League Premier Division title and both Buckingham Athletic and Winslow United have quarter final ties in the Berks & Bucks FA Senior Trophy - but I shall be keeping it real by attending a Step 7 mid-table fixture between Old Bradwell United and Amersham Town.

Comment

The day starts with the North East Christian Fellowship League and Saint Charles Roman Catholics v City of God.

I'm not sure what city god had in mind, but it is infact a rugby ground built in the car park of a Premier Inn, at the end of the runway of an international airport.

[/URL]

[/URL]

The good news is that there has been opportunities for several good good towel/train combinations.

[/URL]

And a rather robust keeper.

[/URL]

Comment

But enough of that sports wank.

The only thing of real concern is that it is the first beer and cheese day out for 18 months.

To gently ease my way back in, it was two post 5% IPAs before 1100.

Please be assured that is the last drink/food pictures I will ever post on social media.

Anyway, now to try and navigate the five non-league teams that currently play in Blyth.

Disappointingly, Blyth Kitty Brewster, Blyth Sea Horses, and Blyth Isabellas are all now defunct.

Comment

Whoever is responsible for the re-design of the CAMRA good beer guide app, it is no understatement to say that they, and every known member of their family, should have their houses burnt down*

Seriously, it is so piss awful and impossible to use that it makes the initial attempt at this board's relaunch seem like an unqualified success. I would gladly offer the Stockport/Burnley/snakeman his pick of any CAMRA members daughter in order to sort this shite out**

*I am really into Viking methods of revenge at the moment.

**As per point *, but I'd point out that about 0.2% of CAMRA members have ever had a sexual encounter. To be fair, that's still higher than the groundhoppers and trainspotters I have been hanging around with for the last two years.
              Last edited by Big Boobs and FIRE!; 17-02-2018, 12:41. Reason: Longeared and myself are that 0.2%

Comment

Bohs 3 Rovers 1 last night,the first half was every bit as bad as I predicted earlier with 20 players crammed into the smallest possible area with speculative shots and passes,aimless balls into touch and even airshots the norm,Rovers probably deserved their lead on 32 minutes,captain Finn reacting first to a shot off the post and then doing what's becoming tiresome from Rovers players in these games by celebrating in front of the home fans,it would turn out to be their last shot on target.
                In the second half Bohs began to open up the game,spreading the ball wider though it was a set piece that equalised,centre back Dan Casey meeting a corner with a bullet header,on 81 minutes Paddy Kavanagh ran on to a flicked header to lash the ball home and two minutes later Casey got his second from another header when the Rovers defence didn't deal with a free-kick.
                So excellent start for us,top of the league briefly,away to Limerick next Saturday

Comment

The website said today's Welsh League match was a 2pm KO. Bit it's actually 2.30. I've said hello to my mate and am now sat in my car listening to the FA Cup on the radio.

Might try and log this as my first game on the Groundhoppers app.

Comment

The officials have just walked past my car. One of the linos is limping badly already. Can't see him keeping up with play.

Comment

Game 2.

It's a thin line between park football...

...and non league

The thin line being this rope.

Though the thin veneer of professionalism is somewhat lost when the managers half time activity is to say 'more of the same lads', and then tuck into a KFC variety bucket.

Comment

Wembley, who've started quite well, have blacked out the Budweiser logos on their shirts again...

Comment

You know everyone missed you, right, BB&F!?

Comment

It's gorgeous when the sun is shining, but bloody cold when it goes behind a cloud. If I didn't know better, I'd say that it's still Winter...

Comment

Game 3 doesn't appear to be taking place, a sign at the gate says "as of Monday, we are moving to Ashington". Who'd have thought a newly formed club, set up by a local businessman with the aim of league football in five years, would experience problems?

So instead it is to here.

Where I got to watch BPA concede their second, from a bar stool in a trailer, which would appear to be the wheelchair enclosure.

Screw this. I'm off to clear the GBGs in South Gosforth.

Comment

Goal free at half time. Better performance from Wembley than for a while, though.

Comment

Wembley finally take a deserved lead.

Comment

A sort of three way clash leads to a London Colney penalty, which is easily scored. 1-1.

Comment

Sheffield Wednesday 0-0 Swansea City

Frustrating and a bit of an opportunity missed all told. We were better in the first half, they were better in the second. Bit disappointed with the team selection, I know we've got an awful lot of matches at the moment and a thin squad but we're not going to go up and shouldn't go down so we could really have picked a more attacking side and had more of a go. Though a year ago I'd never have believed anyone who might have said fans would be shouting "BRING JOAO ON" at the bench.

Carvalhal got a nice clap off the fans after the match. He knew what he was doing though, went onto the pitch to shake hands with players and officials, gave the Swansea fans a clap three times then took the applause from the South Stand as he came off.

Felt like a big game in general. Telly trucks. Half and half scarves. The ref picking the ball from the plinth as the teams came out. A sponsors carpet which someone kept straightening. The England manager in the directors box. Was sat a few rows behind the box again and after Dawson made that tremendous save I shouted "pick him for England" in Southgate's general direction.

Fully agree with BB&F on the redesign of the GBG app by the way, I'm still using the previous one as much as I can. Given all the rancour and cross words flying around CAMRA at present I suspect resolving the issues with it is a low priority.

Comment

Wembley continue to miss chances and half chances, as the light is fading. Will the ref crack and demand the floodlights? Watch this space...

Comment

After a fairly laid back game there's a big bout of handbags in injury time...

Comment

Finished 1-1.

Comment

STM Sports 4 v 1 Ammanford FC

My mate Ben scored the opening goal against the run of play. A tap in from 2 yards. It was 1-1 at half time. Free kick on to the bar then another tap in as the striker followed up.

STM were trying to play the Pep way and out from the back but at this level that has two results. 1) you're inviting the opposition on to you and keep the game play in your own half, and 2) no one gets a breather because the goalie recycles the ball too quickly.

Second half was less frenetic because everyone was knackered. 20 minutes or so in, the STM winger, who was easily the most skilful player on the pitch (and unfortunately knew it), won a penalty and scored it. STM got a third a couple of minutes later, a striker dispossessing a defender and banging it past the keeper. They got the fourth at the absolute death for a flattering scoreline.

All the players and the coaches were a bit shouty and sweary at the referee and linesmen. STM got two bookings for dissent. There was a bit of fouling on both sides but nothing too malicious.

It was parky second half as the sun went down and a chill wind sprang up. I was glad to get back into my car and spin the heating dial up.

Comment

Leicester City 1-0 Sheffield United

This was a bit dull. Sheffield United stuck men behind the ball and we struggled to break them down. I think we just about deserved the narrow win but they had at least a couple of chances which should really have been converted. Riyad Mahrez started and received a mixed reaction at first, which became an ovation when he left the pitch. He was very good and this game highlighted what we’ve been missing with him playing silly buggers for the last couple of weeks. I’m glad he’s back. He hasn’t behaved well but I don’t really have the energy to get angry about most football-related shenanigans these days. I’ll settle for a few more months watching probably the best player we’ve ever had before we have to say goodbye in the summer.

Hinckley AFC 1-1 Studley

Studley were the better side for most of the game, without creating much aside from the opener. Hinckley equalised just after the hour mark and from then on were on top but, like the visitors before them, couldn’t find an opening. Despite the lack of chances it was an entertaining game between two top six sides, ending with a result which doesn’t do a lot for either of them. Still, we got to play a ‘home’ game for the first time since Boxing Day, it was warm in the sun, and the floodlights didn’t need to come on.

Comment

Originally posted by longeared View Post
                                                  Given all the rancour and cross words flying around CAMRA at present I suspect resolving the issues with it is a low priority.
                                                  The Derby branch crosswords in particular?

Comment

I played rugby and lost 44-5 in a game we expected to lose by 80 or 90 points as the opposition are top of the table and we are bottom. However the day for me was marred by the captain telling our hooker to go down injured so he could take him off. He then claimed there were no replacement hookers despite having me standing on the touchline with 25 years experience in the position. The rest of the game was played uncontested scrums with me doing the last 20 minutes. When I asked why this happened in the changing room after the captain told me we were getting pushed back on every scrum and even losing our own ball. He concluded that unopposed scrums would see us win more ball so that is why he asked a player to fake an injury. Rugby used to sneer at football for the dives, the cheating, the attempts to have people sent off. Now thanks to the professional game it has gone all the way down to park level and I am very disillusioned with the sport and am seriously contemplating giving it up.

First time I've ever been given a caffeine bar at halftime as well. Whatever happened to oranges?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X