Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Mash Report

EDIT: Removed
    Last edited by Johnny Velvet; 05-11-2021, 15:36.

It just seems that we can't do a direct equivalent of something like The Daily Show or The Colbert Report - Unspun has a similar problem of complete ineptitude (not on Matt Forde's part so much but the correspondents are painfully bad), although neither that or The Mash Report are as shite as News Knight with Trevor McDonald was.

It's puzzling considering how strong a tradition we have with political satire on TV, whether that be in sketch form (TW3, Spitting Image etc.) or sitcom (Yes [Prime] Minister, The New Statesman, Drop The Dead Donkey) that we can't get this format right.

Comment

It is, but I think the Sppeek yer Branes bit with Rachel (sp?) Parris is pretty good.

Comment

I find the Daily Mash website consistently amusing but it doesn't transfer well. Domestic TV struggles when it tries to recreate the success of American hits; there was a period when all the talks shows wanted to be Letterman without ever really cracking it. I haven't seen any of the new series of The Mash Report but Nish Kumar's John Oliver impersonation didn't grab me during the first run.

Comment

I've only seen "viral" video from the Mash Report, showing up in my Facebook. It's always trite and really obvious - the kind of ploddy stuff that's designed to appeal to those people who share video clips on Facebook. Like the worst parts of Seth Meyers.

As Ben says, it's a shame because I'm often highly entertained by the website - but maybe that's because its pieces are usually about a paragraph and a half long.

Comment

Doesn't the WingCo do some work for The Daily Mash?

Haven't seen this yet, but I'm automatically put off by the - ironically for a satirical show - cynicism of it. What I have seen of it has been dozens of retweets of snippets produced by the BBC itself, and it doesn't sit comfortably with me that the Brexit BBC is trying to produce satire at a time when we're consciously breaking the country. RC's description of it above makes it sound as though it would make me want to chew my own arm off. Balance, balance, fucking balance. When the stops rigging the Question Time Panel, then perhaps they can re-enter the world of satire. I don't think there's very much to laugh about at the moment.

Still, though, no matter how bad it is, it can't surely be as bad as The Onion movie, can it? Because that really, really stank. And not of onions.
            Last edited by My Name Is Ian; 21-02-2018, 09:02.

Comment

I didn't get on with the first series at all, but I'm quite enjoying the second.
              A lot of that is Rachel Parris who does the manic smile while on the edge of a meltdown delivery really nicely. And I've got a lot of time for Nish Kumar too. He genuinely seems to enjoy himself.

Comment

I like Kumar on the Bugle. Not seen any of this show though.

Comment

I'm with Hobbes on Parris and Kumar. The right wing comedian is dire though and brings the flow of the episodes to a halt.

It is very cynical, I think a lot of the talking head bits would fit in to a Charlie Brooker news thing, but is there non cynical satire?

Comment

My main problem with it is that there isn't much passion. Nish Kumar is decent enough, but the key thing about Noah, Oliver, Bee et al is that you really believe that they believe what they are saying. They are making a serious point in a funny way, not reading off a list of topical gags from an autocue.

That isn't a knock on Kumar personally, probably the way he is being directed or produced because the BBC is so afraid of giving someone a real platform to attack the Government. (Although I was disappointed a few weeks ago when he sat next to Nadine Dorries on Peston and just let her spout known lies. Someone with real fire would have jumped right in and challenged her.)
                    Last edited by Snake Plissken; 21-02-2018, 10:43.

Comment

I have enjoyed Nish Kumar elsewhere, definitely, most notably on Taskmaster.

Comment

Working...
                      X