Coco

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coco

Saw this today, half term watching with my daughter.

I enjoyed it. Not Pixar's very best, but it kept both of our attentions and moved at a good pace, with some enjoyable tunes.

The twist was easy to spot, the second twist less so.

Blubbed a bit when the old lady with advanced dementia was focused on, reminded me too much of my own grandmother who is completely lost to reality.

Certainly worth watching.

Ditto, also went to see this with my younger daughter this afternoon - and agree that it was engaging and enjoyable.

At almost two hours, it felt beforehand like it might be kind of long for a CGI - especially one of such spectacle - but our attention was held because the twists were unusual and, in my case at least, unexpected. My daughter of course was way ahead of the curve. (I lost my mother to Alzheimer's three years ago, so was similarly touched by those moments you mention.)

Comment

Definitely top-10 Pixar films, my favorite of theirs this decade, beating out Inside Out. It's beautiful.

Comment

I thought this was excellent too - the central concept of the realm of the dead was brilliantly and sensitively done.

I love the way the guitar playing was ‘real’

I read from reviews that this was a return to form for Pixar - have they gone downhill? I suppose now I think about it Finding Dory was very formulaic, and The Good Dinosaur every bit as bad as it’s title

Comment

Went to see it twice (once with mum, once with Msjohnr). Loved it, loved the detail. The ending was a bit wide-eyed-Disneyfied for me, but the whole things was a very enjoable romp. The cgi is astonishing.

Comment

I liked it but spent most of the film comparing it to The Book of Life, which uses the same Day of the Dead / world of the dead setting. And personally Coco wasn't as good.

Comment

Huh, I liked this a lot more than Book of Life. I suppose a fault may be that Hollywood studios can't seem to make a film about Mexican culture without it being tied into
              Dia de los Muertos, but Book of Life was there first.

Originally posted by diggedy derek View Post
              I read from reviews that this was a return to form for Pixar - have they gone downhill? I suppose now I think about it Finding Dory was very formulaic, and The Good Dinosaur every bit as bad as it’s title
              Since Toy Story 3 (which was 2010, I see, so I may have to say that Coco is their second best film of this decade): Cars 2, Brave, Monsters University, Inside Out, the Good Dinosaur, Finding Dory, Cars 3, Coco. Haven't seen Cars 3, and no interest in seeing it. Brave was okay, Monsters University was funny and entertaining, but nowhere near the heights of the original.

It's really sad to see Pixar just resorting to sequels, with Incredibles 2 coming out this year, and Toy Story 4 next year. So their two good original stories this decade have been Coco and Inside Out, and you have to go back to Up in 2009 before that for the last original story of theirs that you can call a classic. They were on an all-time run before that, and it's a bit unreasonable for every new movie to be a classic, but it's hard not to be disappointed after the track record they've had.

Comment

They got bought by Disney of course.... and John Lasseter has delivered Tangled, Wreck It Ralph, Frozen and Moana for Disney, all of which have been better than Pixar's films, imo.

Cars 3 was worth it watch. It was the sequel that Cars deserved rather than Cars 2, which was rubbish. It has a very interesting theme of growing old and being replaced by the bright young things coming through the system.

Comment

Working...
                X